The Diddyship League Title

On 13/11/2023 at 16:46, Desp said:

Brilliant thread.

Since the creation of the Scottish Premiership in 2013/14, the following teams have won 'The Diddyship' title;

2013/14 - Motherwell

2014/15 - Aberdeen

2015/16 - Hearts

2016/17 - Aberdeen

2017/18 - Aberdeen

2018/19 - Kilmarnock

2019/20 - Motherwell

2020/21 - Hibs

2021/22 - Hearts

2022/23 - Aberdeen

Will it be a new name on the trophy this season?

Thats as bad as the Old Firm vying for it. Aberdeen dominating it. 

20 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

We should take this a step further, and in any season whereby an arsecheek wins the Scottish Cup, we award a Diddy Scottish Cup to the last non-arsecheek standing.

There is no need to consider the League Cup, as we've already established in the Tinpot thread that the League Cup is an utterly tinpot competition that even Diddies should be embarrassed to participate in. Perhaps we could award a Diddiest of Diddy Cups trophy to the lowest ranked side to get out of the group stage or something, because after the pre-season element it ceases to be of any consequence and nobody pays it the blindest bit of attention anyway.

Can we apply this retrospectively? Scottish Diddy Cup champions 2023 would look smashing on our Wikipedia page

Can’t really tell at the moment. We had a pretty sketchy start but we seem to be improving. I think we have the best squad outside of the old firm, but January is just around the corner so that may change, and our manager is very inexperienced.

I do fancy us to do it though.

5 hours ago, stressball said:

Not relevant to this thread, but I feel it’s one of the similar variety… Whatever happened to the Hot Potato?

I enjoy these threads, but it’ll be St Mirrens name on it for the first time ever.

I only ever performed it in the Championship Forum. Got a lot of hate from Morten fans for some reason?

12 hours ago, johnnydun said:

I only ever performed it in the Championship Forum. Got a lot of hate from Morten fans for some reason?

Could have swore I saw a premier version of it at some point, maybe I’m having some sort of senior episode.

The Morton fans probably felt it was a personal vandetta against them whenever you reminded them they lost a game of football.

It was mentioned a wee while ago about whether to have results against the bigot brothers included or not. I would say “yes” with the provision that, if any placing issue goes down to goal difference, the goal difference against them should be removed from the calculation. 

On 13/11/2023 at 22:11, Monkey Tennis said:

Correct. 

This is what should happen:

All the non-OF clubs get together and demand a massively different distribution model that presents a much, much more level playing field for clubs.  

It could involve gate sharing, merchandising being pooled, a requirement for a large chunk of European income to be shared out etc.    There would be a need for this model to involve lower league clubs also, so that no cliff face exists.

When these demands are rejected by the clubs and spluttered about in the media, the top flight diddies agree ahead of the next full season, that they will field youth sides against the OF, ensuring that they get hammered each and every time.  For home matches against the OF, they should urge their own fans to boycott the games, opening the grounds entirely to OF fans if they still want to come.  It'll mean that the OF sides take maximum points from everyone else, and the title will rest solely on the 4 OF games.  The spectacle for Sky will be shit and thoroughly devalued.

Meanwhile, the teams will all compete as usual against each other, meaning the 3rd placed team will be regarded as Champions by actual fans everywhere.  A trophy could even be presented. Relegation will still be decided in the traditional way, but as everyone has lost to the OF every time, the outcome will again be entirely reliant on non-OF fixtures.

The actual end of season table would not be that vastly different from what we get each year anyway.  The difference would be that the others would have stopped pretending that they all take part in a valid competition to win the league.

Think how this would capture the imagination.  Fans would for the first time be involved in what would be considered the actual title race.  This would be an international, sensational media story of the ancient footballing nation that stood up to the injustices of the modern game. 

The Latest OF league win would be rendered hollower than ever, derived as it would be from just 4 matches against 1 opponent.  Meanwhile, we'd all hail our new real champions.

No way would those in our game have the courage to do any of this of course, but it's a nice dream.  

We need the behaviour of our clubs to reflect that we don't need the OF, but they do need us

I am quite teary, imagining the sunlit uplands a world such as this would contain. A beautiful, beautiful post.

17 minutes ago, Spikethedee said:

It was mentioned a wee while ago about whether to have results against the bigot brothers included or not. I would say “yes” with the provision that, if any placing issue goes down to goal difference, the goal difference against them should be removed from the calculation. 

Nah. Results against the OF are so rare, and often such outliers, that including them just skews the table.

Get them to f**k.

Also. Hearts are shite against the OF. Toys out the pram.

Also. We have a table that includes results against the OF. It's called, the SPFL Premiership league table.

Edited by VincentGuerin

Unlike the SFA and SPFL, I asked the opinion of the Scottish football supporter and went with the majority.

So I am not including results against the OF at all.

Therefore Motherwell and Aberdeen both have a free (Facing Rancid Entitled Entities) week.

After today's games, the shamelessly stolen table looks like this....

The P&B Diddyship;

F_y5somXIAAMjHl.png.bf643e6706eaf517b2c1154066e5a900.png

St Mirren stay top, Hearts leapfrog Dundee being the only change, Hibs increase the gap over Kilmarnock and Aberdeen remain bottom with those 3 games in hand over St Johnstone.

Edited by johnnydun