Scotland vs Norway 19th November 2023

MarkoRaj

9 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

And now we know Brown isnt a viable option as a lone striker. The very reason you play him in a game like this.

Thought the set up was weird tonight, but he was clearly trying something. Fine. 

And youre guessing about his man management of Shankland. Would I have given him more time? Yes. But youve no idea what was/wasnt agreed or said behind closed doors. No need to make an issue out of nothing.

He was trying four at the back , defence wise.

Georgia the central defenders were McKenna and Porteous . Tonight McKenna and Hendry.

Going back Porteous and Hendry played " away " v. Ukraine so he has seen 3 combinations

12 minutes ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

Enjoyed my night despite losing the late goal. 

Taylor not really good enough, but at the end of the day he's third choice and it shows. Brown did nothing to stake his claim for a place either.

20231119_194601.jpg

Fourth choice after Hickey

39 minutes ago, Craigie Jambo said:

How's that? Does not matter much which pot 1 team it is and we drew with england last time; we also beat denmark recently altough we could get another beatable team from that pot

germany have been weak recently but we don't want to play the hosts ideally

Having england in our group should motivate us too

-

We should have plenty of motivation already

I think it’s naive to think any of the poor performers are definitely out of contention. In an ideal world they will be but Clarke is loyal. As pish as they were there’s every chance Clark and Brown are still in the squad. Taylor probably only if Tierney or Robertson are injured.

We could really do with a different option up front but I’m not comfortable with someone like Barnes declaring for us right before a tournament. Hopefully Doak kicks on this season.

Negatives:

Clark isnt good enough at this level. But again, he was the best of those available tonight. Hopefully theres someone with a pair of gloves and a Scottish granny kicking about.

Taylor is our 4th choice LB for a reason. Exposed time and again.

Felt sorry for Brown. He made a few decent runs in behind, but bone of our midfield played the pass. He is absolutely not a lone striker to play to feet. 

We seriously lack width other than our full backs. We need an option, even off the bench. If Doak is anywhere near ready, take him to Germany. Even for a last throw of the dice and something different.

Disappointed in the crowd leaving before the lap of honor. I get folk have trains to catch, but too many left for me.

Positives:

Thought Patterson was much better tonight. Caught a couple of times, but could see the player there.

Jack Hendry was good.

McGinn was back to it. Albeit he was far too high for the first 20 mins.

We're going to Germany!!

6 minutes ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

He was trying four at the back , defence wise.

Not what I meant.

He tried a 4-2-3-1 / 4-4-1-1 system with McLean and Armstrong alternating flanks out wide with McTominay deeper.

Felt like a couple of square pegs in round holes.

2 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

I think it’s naive to think any of the poor performers are definitely out of contention. In an ideal world they will be but Clarke is loyal. As pish as they were there’s every chance Clark and Brown are still in the squad. Taylor probably only if Tierney or Robertson are injured.

We could really do with a different option up front but I’m not comfortable with someone like Barnes declaring for us right before a tournament. Hopefully Doak kicks on this season.

Shankland chances off playing from the  start in our next game has to be higher if Adams isn't back after watching Brown tonight but might be wrong knowing Clarke not even selecting him in the initial squad

23 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Jon McLaughlin isn't getting a game at Rangers but I'd have him ahead of Clark and Kelly tbh.

I'd have Craig Gordon with his leg broken over Clark and Kelly.

The last two games have been largely fine from midfield on, the defence has been pretty honking. But we're missing our three best defenders and our two best goalkeepers.

The big takeaways are that Clark, Taylor and Brown really don't look up to it. I've been a bit ambivalent about Stuart Armstrong lately but thought he played really well tonight.

Still think 4-2-3-1 can be a useful shape for us. I think we've learned we should be going nowhere near it unless we have our first choice full backs available.

Edited by Gordon EF

2 hours ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

No changes. What did SC see in that first half?

Pot 3

2 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

This is true, and I think we knew it.

I'd argue it's good to have the light shone on this tonight when it doesn't really count.

Clarke's a sharp guy. Tonight will inform decisions made in terms of the squad and how we cope with injuries etc when it really matters.

and formation

2 hours ago, dagane said:

When you get a penalty ,let someone who isn't going to take it stand with the ball and take the abuse ,when it's time to actually take it, throw it to the taker

Neat

2 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Presumably saw that we’ve already qualified so f**k it 

Pot 3

2 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Brown looks out of his depth.

looks lacking in game time 

2 hours ago, miketheheadlesschicken said:

The only width we have is the full backs, which is making us really narrow going forward, but it also means that no one is tracking their full backs, resulting in our full backs having to deal with two players when theirs overlap.

This !

2 hours ago, VictorOnopko said:

Sadly he isn't a cracker, on current evidence.

Crac , good one !

2 hours ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

3-2

The greatest scoreline !?

2 hours ago, ArabGaz said:

Sexy hair. Sexy goal. 

Rain has ruined it tonight

2 hours ago, kingjoey said:

I was convinced he was off as well. 

2 hours ago, Highlandmagar said:

No matter who we draw, we wont get out of the group. We dont have the mentality.

Norway 1 Scotland 2

2 hours ago, ArabFC said:

Massive. Shankland deserved at least 20mins after his goal.

the game had opened up

2 hours ago, ArabFC said:

Remember when we were good at defending? 🫥

When ? 

Serious question. Who do you think are our best defenders of all time ?

2 hours ago, miketheheadlesschicken said:

Awful from Christie as well.

agreed

2 hours ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

Taylor and Clark (and currently Patterson) have shown I these last two games they are absolutely miles away from being the standard of the players ahead of them.

Meatloaf 

For me Taylor isn’t good enough. 
In terms of full backs Hickey, Patterson, Robertson and Tierney are nailed on. Hickey can play either side. For balance Ralston should be in the squad before Taylor. Three options at RWB Hickey, Patterson and Ralston. Three at LWB Robertson, Tierney and Hickey. Thus if we’re really struggling play your 3rd choice RWB before your 4th choice LWB. 

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

7 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

For me Taylor isn’t good enough. 
In terms of full backs Hickey, Patterson, Robertson and Tierney are nailed on. Hickey can play either side. For balance Ralston should be in the squad before Taylor. Three options at RWB Hickey, Patterson and Ralston. Three at LWB Robertson, Tierney and Hickey. 

Maybe Calvin Ramsay and Harrison Ashby will have staked a claim for RB / RWB by March and / or June.

AND Shankland has been given a real opportunity !

1 hour ago, Craigie Jambo said:

How's that? Does not matter much which pot 1 team it is and we drew with england last time; we also beat denmark recently altough we could get another beatable team from that pot

germany have been weak recently but we don't want to play the hosts ideally

Having england in our group should motivate us too

-

Want absolutely nothing to do with England. The 2nd best team in it and would totally ruin one of the match days with 100,000+ Scots and English kicking about a Geman city. Them and France are the two teams in any pot we want to avoid at all costs. 

2 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

Want absolutely nothing to do with England. The 2nd best team in it and would totally ruin one of the match days with 100,000+ Scots and English kicking about a Geman city. Them and France are the two teams in any pot we want to avoid at all costs. 

Absolutely this