Scotland vs Norway 19th November 2023

MarkoRaj

4 hours ago, 2426255 said:

Not sure where to put this, but it appears that Norway and Benfica player Fredrik Aursnes has retired from international football at the age of 28. Not because of injury, but because he's playing too much football. His last game internationally came in the 3-3 draw. Can't imagine how angry Scotland fans would be if say John McGinn decided to retire early. Obviously it's because they're not qualifying.

https://www.fotball.no/landslag/norge-a-herrer/2024/aursnes-gir-seg-pa-landslaget/

I respect the hell out of this. I get why Norway fans would be irked by it, but it is worth remembering that these guys are men with families and partners whose children will be reaching ages where they really need both parents around. Norway's culture is very family-centric so I don't imagine he'll get too much heat for this either. 

I remember Shinnie's Mrs confiding in me once about the realities of life as a footballer's wife. It made me realise that a lot of these women put their lives and career ambitions on hold for their men due to the shortness and precarity of contracts. It was also tough for her as she wasn't from Aberdeen and her entire social circle comprised the partners of other Aberdeen players (who at this time had left the club, hence her malaise at the time). 

I have friends who have chosen lesser paid jobs in the oil industry due to the fact that they don't want to go offshore anymore as they have young families. 

I really respect how he's (presumably) chosen his family first.

32 minutes ago, velo army said:

I respect the hell out of this. I get why Norway fans would be irked by it, but it is worth remembering that these guys are men with families and partners whose children will be reaching ages where they really need both parents around. Norway's culture is very family-centric so I don't imagine he'll get too much heat for this either. 

I remember Shinnie's Mrs confiding in me once about the realities of life as a footballer's wife. It made me realise that a lot of these women put their lives and career ambitions on hold for their men due to the shortness and precarity of contracts. It was also tough for her as she wasn't from Aberdeen and her entire social circle comprised the partners of other Aberdeen players (who at this time had left the club, hence her malaise at the time). 

I have friends who have chosen lesser paid jobs in the oil industry due to the fact that they don't want to go offshore anymore as they have young families. 

Did you pump her when she was emotionally down?

All joking aside I watched something online recently from a footballers wife's view.  It may have been a Fozzcast.

He said the life of a player's wife was one of uprooting if transferred, finiding a house, schools and as you said trying to make new friends at each new club or losing friends because their husbands had been transferred.  Add to that many had women literally throwing themselves at their men and fans stroking their ego.

All this while possibly being in another part of the country(or even abroad) from the friends and family you grew up with.  Added to that you have a husband who could be feeling the pressure of a relegation, going for promotion, a trophy or an injury and bringing that home each day.

He said especially if you were in the English premiership player you were practically cosseted by the club, where everything was laid on for you by comparison to the wife.

Edited by Sugar_Army

8 hours ago, Sugar_Army said:

Did you pump her when she was emotionally down?

All joking aside I watched something online recently from a footballers wife's view.  It may have been a Fozzcast.

He said the life of a player's wife was one of uprooting if transferred, finiding a house, schools and as you said trying to make new friends at each new club or losing friends because their husbands had been transferred.  Add to that many had women literally throwing themselves at their men and fans stroking their ego.

All this while possibly being in another part of the country(or even abroad) from the friends and family you grew up with.  Added to that you have a husband who could be feeling the pressure of a relegation, going for promotion, a trophy or an injury and bringing that home each day.

He said especially if you were in the English premiership player you were practically cosseted by the club, where everything was laid on for you by comparison to the wife.

Nice enough lassie, but wid not.

Aye I was their regular waiter when they'd come into the restaurant, so we were familiar enough with each other, but I wasn't expecting her to open up in the way she did. It really moved me actually as she was obviously struggling being so far away from home (Inverness) and not having anyone but Graeme in Aberdeen.

I mind at the time she said that there was interest from England, but she'd put her foot down as they'd just had a new kitchen fitted 😂. This was a year or so before he moved to Derby.

18 hours ago, velo army said:

Interesting story, thanks for that mate.

I hadn't fully considered the impact on family life for players and their family, but it's pretty obvious the players and by extension their family won't have much of a life outside of football - especially the further up the levels you go. With the governing bodies intent on cramming as many games in as possible, international football is probably one of the few ways a player can reduce their work commitments.

I also wonder if Ben White is another player who has decided to prioritize family. 26 years old, definitely would have been in the England squad. Obviously, the newspapers are suggesting a bust up 🙄, but it might be as simple as reducing time at work.