Scotland vs Norway 19th November 2023

MarkoRaj

I thought we struggled in the middle of the park last night, albeit I haven’t seen any highlights and I was about 10 pints deep so could be wrong. It felt that quite often in the first half McGregor was left totally isolated in there. Left hand side was the most concerning thing for me, tough.

However, like with Zander Clark, I think folk are a bit too hasty in saying players aren’t international standard because of one bad game. 

10 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

I thought we struggled in the middle of the park last night, albeit I haven’t seen any highlights and I was about 10 pints deep so could be wrong. It felt that quite often in the first half McGregor was left totally isolated in there. Left hand side was the most concerning thing for me, tough.

However, like with Zander Clark, I think folk are a bit too hasty in saying players aren’t international standard because of one bad game. 

I’m pretty sure no one is being hasty in saying Zander Clark isn’t international standard. 

From what I’ve seen of him, I don’t even think he is Hearts standard. 

1 hour ago, VincentGuerin said:

His name and his beard match. That's the best you can say for him.

One look at him and you KNOW his name's Zander.

It disgusts me. Even more than his terrible goalkeeping.

At least he’s had a haircut since his St Johnstone days, looked far worse then imo

7450C219-4EB2-4D02-9545-B111AD11DB8A.thumb.jpeg.5b717a42fa95a5c35f4cae67fe87a78c.jpeg

I thought some of the stick Clark was getting the other night was baseless but my god, that third goal means it's his last ever cap. The kind of goalkeeping error which simply shouldn't ever happen at this level. You're now hoping that either McCrorie or McLaughlin can get themselves a regular game after January and play well enough to be second or third choice, depending on Gordon's fitness.

Brown had a bit of thankless task with the lack of service he got, but that made it all the more important to capitalise when he did get a chance and effectively nutmegging himself when he should have scored wasn't great. A tremendous ball in from Patterson there, who was probably the worst player on the park in the first half continuing where he left off in Georgia, but massively improved in the second.

Shame Doig didn't get an appearance off the bench - I suspect he probably would have if we hadn't had to use up a sub on McGinn getting a knock - as Taylor was once again struggling massively. He's another player who I think has had a lot of unfair criticism generally, he's made out to be some sort of Jay McEveley level call-up which is ridiculous when he's the first choice Celtic left back, but he simply hasn't been good enough in the last two games along with having some bad nights in Europe with Celtic as well. Not much point splitting hairs over the fourth choice left back but I wouldn't be surprised if Doig is moving ahead of him in the pecking order.

It was a weird atmosphere, I think because we're accustomed to any Hampden dead rubbers occurring when we already can't qualify as opposed to when we already have it wrapped up. I think the only time that's happened before is Euro 96, when we played San Marino in the last game did we have a best runners-up place already secured? Euro 2000 we went into the last game already confirmed in the playoff but that's not the same. Going behind so early flattened whatever party mood there might have been in the absence of the game mattering massively.

8 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I’m pretty sure no one is being hasty in saying Zander Clark isn’t international standard. 

From what I’ve seen of him, I don’t even think he is Hearts standard. 

Probably not the best example I could’ve used tbf 🤣

9 hours ago, Hendricks said:

Portugal have the 3rd strongest squad in it for me and ridiculous attacking options; Ronaldo, Leao, Jota, Felix, Fernandes and Silva. They have scored 36 goals in 10 qualifiers. Avoid them if possible. 

For me Belgium have regressed a little though still have great options and emerging players like Doku. Usually I would want to avoid the hosts but I genuinely believe Germany are vulnerable, lost again, to Turkey 3-2 last night. They are such serial winners who knows maybe they'll just turn it on and get momentum but to me they are under pressure. 

Cheers , maybe !

There's two ways to look at the last couple of results.  One, we can slate individual performances and pretty patchy collective performances, or two, we should acknowledge that we already knew that outwith the 'first-team' sixteen or so players we are struggling for quality and simply accept that we managed draws which to be honest were a bit fortunate.

And which probably wouldn't have happened without the spirit we currently have.  We now move on.

42 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

I thought some of the stick Clark was getting the other night was baseless but my god, that third goal means it's his last ever cap. The kind of goalkeeping error which simply shouldn't ever happen at this level. You're now hoping that either McCrorie or McLaughlin can get themselves a regular game after January and play well enough to be second or third choice, depending on Gordon's fitness.

I can't see either of them displacing Butland. So unless he's injured or one of them goes on loan and does well, I don't think either is an immediate back up. McLaughlin is also 36 so doesn't have much time in him. 

It's a problem area for sure. We have a very clear first choice, then players that are either not international quality (Clark, Kelly), are old and have had a prolonged layoff (Gordon) or aren't playing regula football (McCrorie, McLaughlin). Then there is Scott Bain, who is shite. 

Jason Steele at Brighton seems to play at least half the time for  them, maybe he'd be happy turning up for a tournament or two. But if we don't ask we won't get. It's a bit desperate, but we are not blessed with options in the goalkeeping department. 

Clark is absolutely nowhere near it. I don't think he's any better/worse than Kelly which isn't exactly a compliment. The first I can forgive because the deflection would make it difficult for any keeper in the world to get near. The second and third are completely hopeless, though. 

The drop in standard from Robertson/Hickey to Taylor/Patterson is like a cliff edge as well. 

On the third goal as well. I never noticed at the time as I was in the back row up at the other end but looking at the highlights Christie should be absolutely clearing the wide player out instead of shitting out of the tackle. Clark's then cuddling his near post and Patterson is *maybe* unlucky with the slip but should surely be aware of where the goalscorer was before then. 

40 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

There's two ways to look at the last couple of results.  One, we can slate individual performances and pretty patchy collective performances, or two, we should acknowledge that we already knew that outwith the 'first-team' sixteen or so players we are struggling for quality and simply accept that we managed draws which to be honest were a bit fortunate.

And which probably wouldn't have happened without the spirit we currently have.  We now move on.

Certain players , e.g. McKenna , Brown , need to start getting first team football 

I think the general consensus going into these games was that we wanted to regain momentum and we wanted to see some experimentation. We failed in the former but definitely saw the latter: two different formations - both with a back four - a different goalkeeper, starts for a fringe left-back, a start for Brown, more minutes for Ferguson, a new CB partnership etc. It's ultimately felt like an exercise in weeding out shite as opposed to anyone playing their way into contention (with the possible exception of Shankland), though Armstrong and McLean have shown their value to the squad when folk might have considered them for the chop.