🔴🟡Thistle vs Airdrie🔴⚪️ - 2nd December 2023

I'll post my thoughts before going back and reading everything from 5pm yesterday onwards.

I thought we deservedly went into the HT break behind, 2 goals I don't think was harsh especially with the sitter that was missed in the first half when the Patrick boy put it wide from 6 yards unmarked. Thistle were quicker, slicker and far more in control in the first half overall, picking up most second balls. Thought frizzell was very wasteful and slow, Megwa defensively excellent but restrained going forward and looks a bit lost the further up the park he goes. Second goals a bit of a freak but sh*t happens.

Second half I thought we were a lot better but obviously thistle sitting a bit deeper meant we could attack a bit more. Todorov had a great chance at the end man, anyone else I think hits the target at least there!

Disappointed not to grab a point but we certainly won't be the last team to come away from firhill with hee haw this season.

Really pleasing three points when you consider how tough our December fixtures are. Some of our first half play was reminiscent of football at the end of last season, with Lawless, Fitzpatrick and McMillan playing some really slick passing down the wings. Pretty much the dream debut for young Diack and he looks like he’s been playing at this level for years. Would have been harsh not to give him MOTM, but I thought Wasari Williams was outstanding once again. 

Second half was pretty grim as we sat deeper and deeper and struggled to get into any sort of rhythm. We definitely got away with it at the end. No idea how Todorov missed that chance at the end.

Airdrie are a very decent side who play attractive football. Not in the least bit surprised to see them doing well this season. Refreshing to see given the brutal football Morton subjected us to in our last home game.

Probably out of the club’s hands and a police decision but really not a fan of housing the away fans in the city end of the Main Stand. Hard enough trying to generate a decent atmosphere as it is. 

8 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Yes, they need better strikers, but the strikers they have got almost no service yesterday. 

I might be in the minority here but I really don’t think we need another striker. People see the lack of goals and assume it’s a striker issue but Gallagher pretty much puts away any chance he gets and I honestly don’t think there’s another striker in the league that is as good at keeping the ball and finding a pass when it gets fired into his feet.

No idea how todorov missed that but he’s a good striker for this level and he puts that away 9 times out of 10. The reason we don’t score much is because we don’t create enough chances. Although I think that was starting to change with the new formation but we had to abandon that due to injuries. Once we get everyone back fit we’ll be fine

8 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

I'll post my thoughts before going back and reading everything from 5pm yesterday onwards.

I thought we deservedly went into the HT break behind, 2 goals I don't think was harsh especially with the sitter that was missed in the first half when the Patrick boy put it wide from 6 yards unmarked. Thistle were quicker, slicker and far more in control in the first half overall, picking up most second balls. Thought frizzell was very wasteful and slow, Megwa defensively excellent but restrained going forward and looks a bit lost the further up the park he goes. Second goals a bit of a freak but sh*t happens.

Second half I thought we were a lot better but obviously thistle sitting a bit deeper meant we could attack a bit more. Todorov had a great chance at the end man, anyone else I think hits the target at least there!

Disappointed not to grab a point but we certainly won't be the last team to come away from firhill with hee haw this season.

Yeah, that Megwa lad surprised me a bit with how good he was in the air especially - didnt look like the tallest but seemed like a magnet for headers, felt like he won almost every header he went up for.

10 hours ago, Diamonds02 said:

I might be in the minority here but I really don’t think we need another striker. People see the lack of goals and assume it’s a striker issue but Gallagher pretty much puts away any chance he gets and I honestly don’t think there’s another striker in the league that is as good at keeping the ball and finding a pass when it gets fired into his feet.

No idea how todorov missed that but he’s a good striker for this level and he puts that away 9 times out of 10. The reason we don’t score much is because we don’t create enough chances. Although I think that was starting to change with the new formation but we had to abandon that due to injuries. Once we get everyone back fit we’ll be fine

I think the strikers are decent enough,  Todorov was probably the best available on our budget,   Many talk about we need better strikers,  where are they,  there are very few, look at the scoring charts it's the same names year in year out in all leagues,  the issue we have and it could be our downfall is lack of goals from midfield,   Has Frizzell, McMaster, Telfer,  Aiken scored this season,  if your strikers aren't firing then these guys need to step up,  it's not happening,   The possession based  football is very good,  we might have to sacrifice some of that because of the lack of end product,    We don't want hard luck stories later in the season,  but teams that dont score goals only go one way,    

11 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Yeah, that Megwa lad surprised me a bit with how good he was in the air especially - didnt look like the tallest but seemed like a magnet for headers, felt like he won almost every header he went up for.

Every header minus the first goal no blame for him tho wasn’t even his man which was frustrating 

I am relieved that the curse that seemed to be following me up to Firhill, now appears to have been lifted.  I was worried the game might be called off so went up to the ground about 11.00am, I think.  Witnessed a great job being done to take up the covers.  Well done to the ground staff.   The tremendous kebab pie warmed me up.  The end of the game was a bit fraught, with no idea where all the added time came from.  After a rubbish few weeks in work and chaos getting back to Liverpool Lime Street today, I am off tomorrow so sitting here with a bevvy after an enjoyable weekend.