TV Coverage Thread

The Master

I swear that Kelly Somers and Gabriel Clark are kept in a freezer between tournaments. It would be nice if they sent an actual football journalist into the England camp for a tournament instead of those two throwing underarm softballs at Southgate.

2 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

I swear that Kelly Somers and Gabriel Clark are kept in a freezer between tournaments. It would be nice if they sent an actual football journalist into the England camp for a tournament instead of those two throwing underarm softballs at Southgate.

I went to Scotlands training pitch in Stratford Upon Avon during Euro 96 - spent about an hour with Gabriel Clarke - him taking shots and me the goalie.  He then rushed off and a couple minutes later saw him on a chair in the hotel garden interviewing Colin Hendry - he still had the same shirt with grass stains on it.

I like the fact that BBC Scotland will be doing their own coverage of Scotland's games, but still don't see why they can't do it for a UK-wide audience. 

It just seems odd to have two sets of teams, potentially more with Radio Scotland, 5Live, Radio nG as well.

Are Pacific Quay just not trusted by Salford, ironic given they actually produce far more football than their English counterparts.

On 22/05/2024 at 15:19, Pie Of The Month said:

ITV Pundits: Ian Wright, Roy Keane, Gary Neville, Karen Carney, Graeme Souness, Eni Aluko, Ange Postecoglou, Danny Röhl, Christina Unkel, Lee Dixon (co-comms), Ally McCoist (co-comms), Andros Townsend (co-comms)

ITV have replaced Andy Townsend with Andros Townsend 😀

18 hours ago, Ray Patterson said:

I like the fact that BBC Scotland will be doing their own coverage of Scotland's games, but still don't see why they can't do it for a UK-wide audience. 

It just seems odd to have two sets of teams, potentially more with Radio Scotland, 5Live, Radio nG as well.

Are Pacific Quay just not trusted by Salford, ironic given they actually produce far more football than their English counterparts.

I think it's just another instance of, when it comes to football, "BBC Sport" and "BBC Sport England" are essentially the same thing.

When it comes to major tournaments, the main anchor, all* the commentators and the core pundits are all from Match of the Day, meaning that the coverage (deliberately or otherwise) ends up having a very heavy English slant. 

When you read the press release, they say that "former England internationals, Micah Richards, Wayne Rooney, Alan Shearer, Rio Ferdinand, Frank Lampard, Ellen White and Joe Hart" will be "representing England" and "David Moyes, James McFadden, and Rachel Corsie" will represent Scotland. Except we all know that at least one of Shearer, Ferdinand and Lampard will be part of the studio line-up for every game, whereas Moyes, McFadden and Corsie will be involved in far fewer.

I don't see why presenters, commentators, reporters and pundits from Scotland, Wales and NI shouldn't be involved in tournament coverage, even when their respective nations don't qualify. After all, English presenters, commentators, reporters and pundits still covered Euro 2008. 

*There was the exception for the last Euros where Rob Maclean did the live Scotland game, and highlights of the Croatia game - presumably as some sort of compromise because Pacific Quay didn't have their own coverage. Although the fact he did *only* Scotland games in itself further reinforced the Anglo-centric nature of the BBC's coverage.

12 minutes ago, The Master said:

I don't see why presenters, commentators, reporters and pundits from Scotland, Wales and NI shouldn't be involved in tournament coverage, even when their respective nations don't qualify. After all, English presenters, commentators, reporters and pundits still covered Euro 2008. 

To be fair, Alan Hansen would have been a mainstay of the BBC coverage even when Scotland weren't qualifying. At least this way we won't be subjected to Robbie Savage and John Hartson. I assume Pat Nevin will be doing five live stuff too, and not just Scotland games. He does quite  alot with Pien Mullensteen, it's surprising that she is working for ITV although obviously most (all?) of these guys are freelance anyway.

There is no "BBC Scotland" or "STV".

I don't even say "STV".

BBC "Scotland" and "STV" are 98% English shows and commercials with a couple hours of Scottish news sandwiched in-between.

BBC and ITV are English. Their Scottish branches are akin to "Scottish Labour" and "Scottish Conservatives". It's just a plastic tag that means nothing.

5 hours ago, Lurkst said:

ITV have replaced Andy Townsend with Andros Townsend 😀

First time I heard old Andros' name mentioned, I genuinely wondered if Andy has discovered some Greek heritage and was being all pretentious about it.

• 3 weeks later...

Scotland playing in the Opening Game. An Englishman, Irishman and Edinburgh Tory on the panel. Ten minutes talking about how shite Scotland are then over to Gareth Southgate. 

Yes, broadcasting is a reserved matter but it's just pish. The only option to legally watch Austria's opening game has two Germans, a Czech and an Austrian arsehole as pundits. Just shite

Christ, Fox is really leaning into this shite…

Their broadcast teams are, well, interesting, and their focus is on the “big names” that ‘Murican’s can recognize. The “preview” intro has Germany, Portugal, Spain, Italy, England, France, etc…

Now the talking heads…Chellini, Sturridge, Schmeichel and Hingst.

Commentators Ian Darke and Landon Donovan, but the coverage will surely be watered down for U.S. consumption.

I’ve seen Scotland warming up once so far…now the actual game is mentioned, with 15 minutes to go.

ITV’s “rules analyst” is infinitely better than Peter Walton, Mike Dean and anyone else Sky and TNT use.

My only objection is with the name. Football has laws, not rules. 

On 04/12/2023 at 10:50, The Master said:

We should find out later today who's showing what games (BBC/STV).

If it's anything like last time, BBC Scotland won't be doing their own coverage and instead we get a more Scottish-y version of the network. STV might opt-out to provide their own coverage, but Rory Hamilton mysteriously popped up on ITV's FA Cup coverage this weekend so perhaps ITV are considering the same approach as the BBC.

The idea that if the BBC show the opening game it might come with a heavy Scottish bias is already causing consternation amongst England supporters on places like Digital Spy. Ostensibly, the fact it's the opening game is more important than it being a Scotland game in their eyes.

Hate to break it to you but most English people aren't really thinking about Scotland. We get that you're obsessed with hating us but the feeling isn't mutual