TV Coverage Thread

The Master

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

I don’t mind Frank Lampard as a pundit. Didn’t care for him much as a player, but I think he makes sensible points and seems like not a bad lad. 

Come at me….

I agree.

Talks more sense than Alan Shearer.

I also like Gary Lineker and Rio Ferdinand.

Fat Frank was alright actually, but given he was an actual football manager for a while (albeit a pish one) he’s going to be a bit more knowledgable than Rio and Micah.  See also Thomas Frank, Moyes and Rohl.  Has Ange been on yet? I’m sure he was advertised for ITV’s punditry team as I’ll be interested to see if he is any good or if he just does his cheeky happy ‘mate’ pish.

Meanwhile people on Twitter will say Rio is lit or whatever for shouting Ballon D’or at the top of his voice for his insight.

Edited by Scotty Tunbridge

3 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

I don’t mind Frank Lampard as a pundit. Didn’t care for him much as a player, but I think he makes sensible points and seems like not a bad lad. 

Come at me….

giphy.gif

If I've got this right, BBC have gone 75% Merseyside on commentators for your game tonight.  Steve Bower, ex-Radio Merseyside and James McFadden, ex-Everton, on the telly.  Alistair Bruce Ball, sounds-Scottish surname and Pat Nevin, ex-Everton and Tranmere, on 5live sync.  I shall be hoping the local boys talk a good game and don't let us down.

6 hours ago, Red Kite said:

If I've got this right, BBC have gone 75% Merseyside on commentators for your game tonight.  Steve Bower, ex-Radio Merseyside and James McFadden, ex-Everton, on the telly.  Alistair Bruce Ball, sounds-Scottish surname and Pat Nevin, ex-Everton and Tranmere, on 5live sync.  I shall be hoping the local boys talk a good game and don't let us down.

Wot ! No Liam MacLeod !!

9 hours ago, Red Kite said:

Tell me about 5 live sync? Red button thingy?

3 hours ago, kennie makevin said:

Wot ! No Liam MacLeod !!

Liam McLeod and Neil McCann will be on BBC One Scotland.

Steve Bower and James McFadden will be on the iPlayer HDR feed and other BBC One nations/regions. 

1 hour ago, Leith Green said:

Tell me about 5 live sync? Red button thingy?

Yes, Red Button when used on the telly.  I am watching the games on iplayer , on a tablet.  If you select to watch the game live, you get the option to watch with 5live commentary coming up.

I was surprised at the pundit line-up for our game against Germany.  I don't think fans in many countries, including in England, would accept it as just the way things are to have the main commentator, the host and two of the three panelists being from another country when watching their national team at a tournament.  They didn't even have a German or anyone with any specific insight into German football involved.

Edited by A Diamond For Me

1 hour ago, The Master said:

Liam McLeod and Neil McCann will be on BBC One Scotland.

Steve Bower and James McFadden will be on the iPlayer HDR feed and other BBC One nations/regions. 

I had totally forgotten about the regions, there.  Not my team, but both of those commentators are sound for me.   McFadden going with the well-known face for the folk down South trend.  I find McCann will usually look for something positive to say.

Agree with most of the sentiments above. It's all the people with recent football experience that have been good. Moyes, Joe Hart, Townsend, Frank (Thomas) . 

Who knew that people with recent top level experience would fare better than the fat, bald middle aged career pundits who've been sat on a sofa for 15 years? Shocking revelation. 

Just remembered dribbling simpleton Wayne Rooney is on BBC tonight. The exception that proves the rule. 

Edited by Jives Miguel

Be nicer to celtic players. 

SNP firebrand James Dornan reckons Celtic players are being picked on for criticism by Scotland supporters during Euro 2024. The Nationalist MSP for Glasgow Cathcart has been left miffed at some of the coverage of the tournament so far.

Known for his social media meltdowns, Dornan slammed BBC Scotland coverage and indicated fans should lay-off under fire full-back Anthony Ralston. The Celtic fanatic was also unhappy at some comments about Hoops captain Callum McGregor

Scotland lost their opening match of the Euros 5-1 to hosts Germany before recovering to draw 1-1 with Switzerland. Ralston, 25, has struggled badly in the two games and his loose pass allowed Switzerland to equalise in Cologne on Wednesday night.

McGregor, 31, has not been able to replicate his Celtic form so far although he was much improved against the Swiss compared to the match in Munich against Germany when the entire team froze on the big occasion. While watching the Switzerland match, Dornan reposted a Paddy Power tweet that suggested former Rangers winger Neil McCann was furious every time McGregor touched the ball.

He followed it up by endorsing a statement that McCann and commentator Liam McLeod were "an absolute disgrace". The messages added: "Doing the English way of needing to find an individual to blame for every little thing. Utterly pathetic commentary."

Dornan, who also shared a tweet mocking Celtic's Old Firm rivals Rangers on Thursday in relation to issues with redevelopment work at Ibrox Stadium, then piped in himself, claiming: "The only two players I've heard McCann and McLeod criticise are Ralston and McGregor. Give it a rest just for the evening folks." And he was clearly still fizzing 24 hours later when watching England take on Denmark

After Harry Kane fired the Three Lions ahead following an error by Danish defender Victor Kristiansen, he posted: "I wonder if the Danish left back will suffer the same onslaught that Anthony Ralston had to put up with after his error led to England's goal

Dornan is no stranger to losing his cool on social media and once branded a user a "f***ing coward" and has insulted JK Rowling. He once falsely accused a bus company of sectarianism and was accused of inviting abuse on BBC journalist Sarah Smith

It seems Scotland are no longer in the tournament. There was extended iplayer coverage after the match tonight to "talk about England'. 

I guess it's better to do it after than during the match being played...

Anyone complaining about the amount of random references to England will be quite dismayed next time they don't actually qualify for one of these things. Nothing changes except for the updates on England's non-existent training camp.

USA 94 was just wall to wall mournful "...once had a two-day trial at Torquay United fifteen years ago", "...have never beaten England, of course", and "I don't know why rubbish like this lot are here while England have to stay at home". Added bonus for finding random English players to report on how other nations are doing because their grandparents were born there.