Saints v Buddies 6/12/23

2 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

What a dramatic fall from grace we’re experiencing at the moment.

Robinson had the forwards and the midfielders playing at the top of their game, with a high energy pressing game. Hit the opposition with quick breaks and scoring goals.

Compare the start of the season to now. Night and day as we look like a total shell of the team who made a great start.  

No one should underestimate the role Strain plays in our side. If he is out or off form we are not the same side. 

Strain is key to Robbos system. If he is out we play square pegs in round holes. 

Robbo needs to change it

0-0 would have been a fair result and while there was some nice play from Saints in the first half, 2nd half St Mirren I thought were marginally the better side, but look to lack quality in the final third.

Really didn't feel confident when Kane stepped up and it was a poor penalty.

Have to say Clancy was a poor ref all game. Bit concerned about the time taken or rather inability for Levein to make subs. You could see some players were knackered for last 20 mins. 

15 minutes ago, Saint Paddy said:

St mirren had 3 or 4 good chances to our.... 2?

Which is nothing like saying we should've won by 3 or 4.

I thought we were marginally the better side in the game and that we missed 3 or 4 good chances. I don't think we deserved to win by 3 or 4 goals.

7 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Which is nothing like saying we should've won by 3 or 4.

I thought we were marginally the better side in the game and that we missed 3 or 4 good chances. I don't think we deserved to win by 3 or 4 goals.

Draw would have been slightly fortuitous for us 

Three points an absolute steal

2 hours ago, Bobby_F said:

Absolutely gutted about that.

Not a great game but St Mirren by a margin the better team and should have scored 3 or 4.

1 hour ago, double deluxe said:

St Mirren should’ve won by 3 or 4??  What nonsense.

54 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

No one has said that.

Paul Rudd Reaction GIF

Shitfesting 1-0 wins in games that really deserve to be finishing 0-0s is a fantastic trait to have. At this stage points is all that matters, we clearly don't have the attacking players to do anything other than what we're currently doing so I think those who (understandably) want us to be more attack minded and expansive will have to wait until at least January to get it. 

Smith and Mitov are far too good for us. Glorious footballers that I'll enjoy whilst they're here. 

5 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

I didnt realise the chance in the 1st half was so clear till i saw sportscene but not sure i would say it was a sitter.

Think Levein was happy with 0-0 or maybe he doesnt trust anyone else on the bench.

I think that last statement is 100% true. You’ve got supporters in the East stand demanding a substitution, but once again I think Levein is showing that he doesn’t have faith or trust in any of the bench bar Sprangler and Kane (Costelloe too, but suspect he had a knock). The fact we had 5 other outfield players on that bench and none were deemed good enough to come on is an indictment of the lack of depth we have. 

As others have said, Matt Smith is a genuinely talented footballer and is showing exactly why he had 19 caps for Wales. But he ran his heart out once again last night and was clearly burst, yet we have nobody to replace him with. Things will improve when we get both Wright and Clark back, McCelland and Considine too, but there’s still a fair bit of deadwood in this squad. 

Special mention to Liam Gordon last night, that’s hands down the best he’s played in about 18 months. Won every header, made blocks and clearances and has eliminated the silly long balls from his game. Hopefully he keeps the form up, maybe he’s just someone who feels better in a back 3. 

9 hours ago, Bobby_F said:

Just complimenting your commentary team for not being Tom Boyd levels of partisan.

I was more laughing at the "shouldve scored 3 or 4" chat, which ignores the fact your attacking players seem to, in general, be absolutely awful unless its laid on a plate for them (and even then Mandron fucked that).

Our strikeforce bar Clark is absolutely brutal yet i still dont think id want a single St Mirren attacking midfielder/winger/striker in our strongest 11.

It wasnt bad luck you lost last night, it was a glaring lack of quality in the final third.

Treated myself to a daytrip to Perth to take in this as a neutral. 

Thought Saints knocked the ball around pretty well, but without any end result. Buddies had much less ball, but moved it forward quicker to get it in the box and create chances. Both sides really need a striker. Or two. That can shoot!

A definite stealing of 3 points, but I was sitting in the home end, so made for a good end!

For Saints, I thought Phillips, Smith and in 2nd half, Carey all look decent on the ball and have something to offer... find someone up top they can play off/to and might create a lot more.

5 minutes ago, Jordi1977 said:

For Saints, I thought Phillips, Smith and in 2nd half, Carey all look decent on the ball and have something to offer... find someone up top they can play off/to and might create a lot more.

We have one, but hes injured (a lot), tbf.

41 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

If Mandron had scored that goal in the second half, I don’t think it would have counted

He looked a mile offside to me 

You're probably right, I thought he looked just offside. Although, I've given up trying to second guess VAR. If the camera is at a slight angle it might appear off (or onside) but VAR shows it to be different.