Alloa VS Accies

No real pressure on us today , It's the Accies who are expected to win with them vying for final top spot with The Fawkirk

If we can give them the same as we did at NDP we are in with a chance , will need to be at our best of course , running through brick walls doesn't win games alone ,  hopefully no injury problems bar the long term casualties .

That was really bad today. Lucky to get away with a point tbh.

When we bothered to get the ball on the deck we looked ok but we just didn't do it enough. Set pieces were so wasteful.

More mind boggling subs from Rankin, though. Once more weakened us by taking any pace off and made us so narrow whilst somehow also taking away our midfield.

For anyone who thinks Accies fans are knicker wetters for saying he's just not good enough they just need to look at performances like today.

Scott Martin has gotten it wrong at the end when he says we all need to be together to be successful. The players do have the backing of the fans. The manager, however, does not. I'm not convinced the players are committed to him either.

Edited by Todd_is_God

Fantastic first half from Alloa, as good as I’ve seen all season. 
Just need Wales to find his shooting boots, played really well but should have had three today. 

Hopefully Scougs and Cammy are ok. Thought Cammy was superb today. 
Though Andy could have made changes earlier to freshen things up, but an unexpected point today and we’ll take it. 

As 0-0s go that was a pretty good one and pre-game I would have been delighted with a point, but on another day that could have been a comfortable win by 3 or 4. I know I’ve only seen them in 2 games this season but I’m genuinely astounded that Hamilton team is keeping pace with Falkirk at the top - maybe just saved 2 particularly poor performances for the games against us?!

Couple of interesting calls in selection with MacKay/Devine and Roy/Cawley/Coulson but MacKay and Coulson did pretty well. Thought the game bypassed Kev in the first half but he was better in the 2nd 45. 

Thought Alloa played well, had a good balance between trying to compact the midfield and negate Accies but then breaking fast and direct and creating a threat on the counter. 

Not sure what else Bobby Wales can do to get that elusive goal, another very good performance from the loanee and the front 3 all played well. Coulson was very good first half but faded out the 2nd until he almost lit the game up with his footwork for his chance - couldn’t tell for certain but looked like Fulton got something on it after the deflection, an exceptional save if he did. 

As @Alloamad said, I thought Cammy was brilliant today, defended well and looked good linking up with Coulson down the left. Our threat from set pieces definitely dropped off when he went off, although Accies defended our corners really well. 

Difficult game next week before a run of 3 over Xmas and new year where we need to be aiming for maximum points to get in to the playoff spots. 

Accies lucky to escape with a point based on chances over the 90 mins.

Our squad is good enough to win this league.

Our manager is NOT good enough to win this league.

If Falkirk beat us at NDP next week that could well be the title over & done with IMO

Edited by cdhafc1874

4 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Terrible first 75 but I thought Rankin's tactical switch could've won the game for us.

Absolutely behave. We got a bit more of a foothold later on simply because Alloa were tiring.

Rankin is a clown.

Pish. 

Based off the chances Alloa should've won that game.

I still can't fathom how Henderson didn't make an appearance. 

Worst I've seen Scott Martin play this season but that can be forgiven as he's been outstanding every other week, clearly we need Martin to be ticking as we looked totally devoid of ideas in the middle of the park today. 

Fair play to Alloa, I'd say they've been the best team we've played this season (on both occasions).

5 minutes ago, Accies1 said:

Worst I've seen Scott Martin play this season but that can be forgiven as he's been outstanding every other week, clearly we need Martin to be ticking as we looked totally devoid of ideas in the middle of the park today. 

Could say the same about Barjonas and Longridge, and the less said about O'Brien's 45 minutes the better. 

15 hours ago, accies1874 said:

Terrible first 75 but I thought Rankin's tactical switch could've won the game for us. Never looked like winning it prior to that though. 

Not convinced that switch was key to Accies taking over for the last 10 rather than Alloa tiring and dropping deeper. Perhaps a bit of both. Accies might have won it with the shot against the bar in that spell but it would have been an undeserved win given the chances we had. Wales was terrific in all aspects except not sticking the ball in the net but the goals will come for him. 

Still plenty to work on and the attackers will get better with more games in that shape - they weren't always on the same wavelength - but it looked like a much more coherent team already, a team that knew what it was trying to do. Defence was fairly solid also and fair play in particular to Mackay who had his best game (and edit to add, on second viewing the miscommunication with PJ wasn't Mackay, my apologies to him 🙂). It can all get better with more games and between that and some key men to come back there are certainly grounds for optimism. 

Edited by Waspie

Very lucky to get a point to be honest. Yes we hit the bar but Alloa also very unlucky not to have scored at least a couple.  Thought Lewis Smith started the game really well and then Rankin got involved and nulified him more than the Alloa defence could. By the end of the first half it was obvious how the game was going to pan out.  Knew Rankin would go for his usual triple sub move around the time he did. Poor that Smith was subbed today as he gave his all. Does Rankin think there is an issue with his fitness?  How anyone can think Rankin did anything positive today is well beyond me but I guess we all see the game differently. Oh and the real Zanatta turned up today, really poor after last week.

Still think there is a softness or lack of wining mentality in this team. We drop points in this kind of game too often and seem to expect to win just because we did OK the week before. All the pressure is on us next week now and fear Rankin will crumble and do something crazy.

Edited by Beckford

17 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Nope, moved Hewitt into a RB/RCB hybrid role which gave him and Longridge space to step into and pin Alloa in. Also had diagonal runs from the likes of MacDonald and O'Hara which were found by Martin and Tait. 

I agree Hewitt did well but think it's a big stretch to say it was part of a masterplan. Thought he was left exposed an awfal lot

Edited by Beckford

Can only echo the comments that Hamilton are overachievers. It was galling to lose out on the first meeting and today it was just as sore not to come away with a win. Rode their luck heavily with some of the chances they conceded and didn't ask us an awful lot of questions.

Would like to see the two penalty claims again. Thought the handball in the first half was pretty clear from our position. Second one was a long way away but didn't look like a dive. Agree we were lucky to gain a point though so no complaints with result in the end. Im more in the we are under achieving camp tbh but can see why Alloa fans would see it the other way as we tend to be honking when we play them

2 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

Can only echo the comments that Hamilton are overachievers. It was galling to lose out on the first meeting and today it was just as sore not to come away with a win. Rode their luck heavily with some of the chances they conceded and didn't ask us an awful lot of questions.

Alloa were better team in the 1st half but Accies much better in 2nd half.

We didn't ask a lot of questions but hit the woodwork twice and O'Hara missed a sitter near the end. Alloa had a few efforts deflected but can't remember Fulton having much to do.

Will be good to see highlights to see if ref got penalty incident right.

Just now, FuzzyBear said:

Alloa were better team in the 1st half but Accies much better in 2nd half.

We didn't ask a lot of questions but hit the woodwork twice and O'Hara missed a sitter near the end. Alloa had a few efforts deflected but can't remember Fulton having much to do.

Will be good to see highlights to see if ref got penalty incident right.

I wouldn't have given a penalty but I wouldn't have booked O'Hara either.