National Anthems

What are your favourites from around the globe? Always found the French and Italian ones particularly rousing. Also quite like how the South African one incorporates some of the different languages used there. For the same reason I like God Defend New Zealand (which I learned the words to during my time there)

What are P&B'ers thoughts on global national anthems? What do they think of our own? Are they inspirational or an inconvenience?

Italy and France win it for me. Russia got a lot of love during the last Euros. Can't say it does it for me. 

National anthems should be played on the first appearance and then the Semi-finals at the earliest thereafter. Being played before every single game at a tournament is tiresome. 

3 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

I think it would be good idea for a national anthem to refer to a country and/or its people and not to one particular person and their supernatural support system.

The UK national anthem is a dreadful, obsequious embarrassment. My Country 'Tis of Thee (sung to the same melody), at least references the country. its people and its history. Still a bit shite.

I don't understand the admiration for the Italian anthem; it seems very comic opera to me. The clear victor is the bloodthirsty French anthem.

Aye I'm not that keen on Fratelli D'Italia beyond the first few bars. It does on its arse a wee bit and the rousing denouement can't quite save it.

La Marseillaise is the greatest followed by the Welsh effort.

I think the Ukrainian anthem is gorgeous without having the rambunctiousness of the aforementioned.

Flower of Scotland is fucking rubbish. It can't be played on the bagpipes due to the flattened 7th note. A bigger riddy than the shortbread tin lyrics imho.

Italy, France, Russia, Wales.

A strong group, with the Welsh anthem making it through after winning a playoff sing-off with the USA. The USA blew it by having an intrinsically great anthem, but consistently allowing ‘look at me’ arseholes to try and turn it into a West End musical theatre extravaganza by wringing the neck out of every note.

We never qualified. 😎

15 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

I think the entire concept of national anthems is a bit cringe, but while we're here - Brazilian, Netherlands, and Japanese just because it's totally incongruous.

The Japanese one is only 4 lines long.  

Hardly worth getting your instrument out for. (settle down Kenneth)