Stuttering Saints v Staggies

43 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

There's no "might" about it, neither the Ref or Linesman indicated that it was a goal so without VAR play would have continued. 

It's occasions like this when VAR comes into its own.

That's why the appalling application of it in Scotland is so fucking annoying. It gives a bad name to something that should constitute an improvement to our game.

2 hours ago, Pete the Jakey said:

Just think though, without VAR it might not have counted at all.

Even worse, if it had not been clear on the TV replay (someone standing in front of the camera for example) it also wouldn't have counted as there is no goal line technology that definitively tells you if it's a goal.

There must remain some level of accountability from referees and assistants and VAR is sort of removing a large part of that it feels like. As I mentioned before, I could have comfortably worked the West stand line on Saturday to that level of overall performance such was the linesman's lack of involvement to decide on anything even down to throw ins.

17 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

That's why the appalling application of it in Scotland is so fucking annoying. It gives a bad name to something that should constitute an improvement to our game.

VAR has ended up with more correct decisions, I'm sure of it. But I don't think we're saying s huge increase in right decisions (the officials got most calls right without VAR). At the same time it's spoiling the game from a spectators point of view and has added to controversy, rather than get rid of it.

18 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Its a shambles in every single league its in, and this idea of "Scotland is ruining VAR!" is and ill informed and fucking moronic as "Scottish football is the laughing stock of Europe!" takes.

VAR by its very nature is a shambles and needs binned before it drives away fans. Yet another thing wedged into football purely for the benefit of fans watching on TV.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Its a shambles in every single league its in, and this idea of "Scotland is ruining VAR!" is and ill informed and fucking moronic as "Scottish football is the laughing stock of Europe!" takes.

VAR by its very nature is a shambles and needs binned before it drives away fans. Yet another thing wedged into football purely for the benefit of fans watching on TV.

I agree with everything you say. Even as a punter watching games on TV I don't like it though. I ended up turning off the Spurs v Chelsea game a few weeks back as it became unwatchable. 

8 minutes ago, AussieBud said:

With the first goal, now i was half cut and it was well after midnight where i was watching, but did the ref just stop the game to get the decision from VAR?? from what i remember the ball was still in play and hes meant to wait for a break in play

Yes, he did stop play when the ball was still in play. When he did that, it ‘seemed’ clear that the ball must have been over the line, yet it still took an age to confirm that.