Home Security

Crawford

Your boy has gone and got his family a nice house. We used to live in a block of flats, security door and it just felt inherently safe.

Now though, I'm convinced ever single person in the world is going to jump my back fence and smash straight through my kitchen door.

I know NOTHING about home security.

Cameras, alarms and the like.

Most of the big names I've seen charge extra for things I would have expected like access to the recordings. 

Any advice would be appreciated on brands, set ups or even businesses to check out.

Thanks.

2 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

Seriously though - I'm away with work a lot so we got a ring doorbell for the front door and a ring camera at the back. Occasional issues with wi-fi but I think that's our router. Works really well. 

That was where I started but found you had to pay for access to the footage which I thought was odd but seems to be industry standard. I'll go give them another look.

We just got a Tapo video doorbell. It's linked to a hub inside which has an SD card in it, and all video is recorded on that. You can access the video from anywhere via the app at no additional cost. We have other Tapo cameras and they all have SD cards in them to record the video.

There are other makes, such as Eufy, that use local storage with no ongoing cost. Costco currently has one on offer if you are a member.

Edited by Soapy FFC

Basic choices:

1) Classic monitored alarm system. Expensive; sometimes bought, other times hired; needs to be monitored for a monthly fee; generally doesn’t start with cameras, usually an expensive add-on; not always designed well (like not protecting upper windows to quote a cheaper install, and hoping no one will use a ladder or crawl up on a roof); can be a problem with pets like cats and dogs.

2) Self installed alarm system. Less expensive, but usually less comprehensive; often offer a monitoring option (for a fee); a loud siren is nearly as good as a monitored system in that it encourages those up to no good to leave; lots of different options to cover areas (individual door/window sensors, glass breakage, motion, infrared, etc.

3) Internet connected cameras. Easily started with a doorbell camera and perhaps a perimeter camera or two; often support interior cameras; are connected to the internet, and thus while you can easily check in, they can also be hacked; cheap systems often have poor security (default passwords that can’t be changed, open ports when connected,,etc).

4) Self-contained camera system. Often hard wired, but there are wireless options; use a DVR or computer as a storage device for video; generally cannot be hooked to the internet, for better or worst; generally higher quality video; for best results, need professional installation; if someone breaks in and they find the drives, you have no evidence.

5) Passive security. Generally self-installed; motion sensing lights; doorbell camera; an alarm sign out front (nothing stops you from saying you have an alarm, even if you don’t; a couple of fake cameras installed under the eves; better locks, deadbolts and reinforced door jambs; secondary locks on windows; a dog; knowing your neighbours and watching out for each other; infrared driveway sensors (the old ding-dong you hear in shops when you walk in…a pair of sensors that are tripped by a person walking between them and set of a remote chime) and that kind of stuff.

It’s a crazy wide range of options these days, and if you are going to buy things to install/use yourself, don’t just buy the cheapest, do your research. For instance, doorbell cameras…battery powered are handy, but take time to wake-up when someone enters the detection field…all too often you see the back of the delivery guy leaving. A hardwired doorbell camera will always be on and will start recording almost instantly someone enters the field and will alert you sooner.

People with cameras advertise they have things they wish not to be stolen, therefor they need stolen.

People without cameras are the common man and would prefer not to be robbed and therefor aren't grassing bastirts/nosey bastirts with cameras and are for the most part left alone.

Think on.

19 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

What is the evidence for Ring doorbells reducing burlgaries and other crime?

None but they have contributed to 90% of those stupid "Fail" videos that continually pop up on social media.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

What is the evidence for Ring doorbells reducing burlgaries and other crime?

None, but people can tell their pals in the pub "look, I am getting an Amazon delivery"........."I can talk to the guy too"

Its all bollocks.

I do have a Blink camera at the back, but its just there to get footage of the foxes and squirrels messing about. 

Guy up the road got broken into a few months back - he lives most of the year in Italy, and his indoor cameras pinged when they broke in. He made a call, but unsurprisingly, the wee radges had fucked off by the time anyone arrived.