The Pie and Bovril Dead Pool 2024

Just now, Aim Here said:

I dunno. I don't think that's what this is about.

Here, an apparently wealthy 40-odd year old man went over to his parents house, had lunch with them, and then took the opportunity to blow his brains out in their garden shed for them to find and clean up afterwards.

An 'oh shit I'm about to be caught' financial suicide would either be a kill-your-wife-and-kids-first affair if he had a suitably demented patriarchical value system or a more subdued solitary suicide. Or a John Stonehouse/Reggie Perrin vanishing act. This looks more like he had some sort of familial grudge with his own parents.

Some headlines if he'd shot them as well. I still think he tucked up financially got knocked back for a bail out and decided to teach them a lesson.

3 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Some headlines if he'd shot them as well. I still think he tucked up financially got knocked back for a bail out and decided to teach them a lesson.

It's highly plausible that it was a monetary motive, but that doesn't mean that his money troubles came from fiddling the petty cash at work. Maybe this was him getting a bit too deep into cocaine, or blackjack, or Candy Crush Saga.

2 hours ago, Lofarl said:

Hmm.  Wonder how he died.  

At least they didn't take a week to figure out the cause of death.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-68435592

Looking forward to the explanation on that one, shot up the dunger I'm guessing, its the only thing I can think of but leads to a load more questions.

13 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

image.jpeg.a414b00898b25a6e62bdb152a6501736.jpeg

3 hours ago, Raidernation said:

That might be points for me!

As always thoughts and prayers 

60 points for someone that age is helluva good scoring chief

Week 9 update

Two death this week. First, TV chef Dave Myers: Dave Myers obituary | Entertainment TV | The Guardian

Long before Dave Myers, one half of the TV duo the Hairy Bikers, was hairy, or a biker, he was a cook. While still a child, he prepared family meals when his mother, a former shipyard crane driver, became so debilitated by multiple sclerosis she was scarcely able to leave her bed. “Dad and I became Mam’s carers, muddling through each day,” said Myers, who has died aged 66. “Sometimes I got out a cookbook and made a pie or a stew out of whatever ingredients we had in.”

His mother had been “a fabulous cook and was often preparing food while I played at her feet”. His father, the foreman of a local paper mill, would put little Dave on the saddle of his motorbike so he could pretend to ride. “I loved the smell of oil and machinery and rubber; just one whiff would set my pulse racing.”

But it was only half a lifetime later that Myers, after many years of working as a television makeup artist, managed to make an onscreen career by combining these two childhood passions. In 2004, when he was 45, Myers and his friend Simon King, a locations manager on the Harry Potter films, pitched their idea for a TV show focusing on motorbikes and food to the BBC. “It was midlife crisis time and you can’t have more of a midlife crisis than going off on a motorbike,” said Myers.

Myers died at 66 so he's worth 59 Base Points to @Indale Winton, @Savage Henry, @sparky88 and @The DA.

===============

The other death this week was fashion icon Iris Apfel: Iris Apfel, renowned New York designer and style icon, dies aged 102 | Fashion | The Guardian

Iris Apfel, the interior designer and fashion tastemaker who found fame as an octogenarian, has died aged 102.
It is understood Apfel died at her home in Palm Beach, Florida, on Friday.

As an eminent authority on antique fabrics, Apfel consulted on restoration projects including work at the White House.

She was the subject of several museum exhibitions and a documentary, and more recently starred in campaigns for H&M, eBay, Citroën and even had a Barbie doll made in her likeness.

I don't know how many fashionistas we've featured in the Dead Pool over the years but I can't think of any other genre of celebrity I can relate to less. This isn't a criticism or an attempt to belittle her or her field, but I know nothing of her field, reading about it doesn't make things any clearer and neither does looking at it. Going by her obituaries she had quite a life though, so good for her.

Apfel died at 102 so she's worth 23 Base Points. @Oystercatcher gets a Deadly Duo bonus added for 48 points, while @Raidernation gets a Vice-Captain bonus as well for a total of 60 points.

As a result, the standings look like this:

1. mozam76 402
2. lolls 316
3. Billy Jean King 303
4. psv_killie, sparky88 291
6. Indale Winton 285
7. Ned Nederlander 282
8. lichtgilphead 279
9. Moomintroll 263
10. The_Craig 254
11. pub car king 238
12. The DA 228
13. JustOneCornetto 225
14. Arch Stanton 207
15. cdhafc1874 204
16. Oystercatcher 198
17. weirdcal 191
18. Melanius Mullarkant 176

19. amnarab, The Naitch 169
21. Salvo Montalbano 163
22. alta-pete 156
23. blackislekillie, Bully Wee Villa, choirbairn, Desp, peasy23 150
28. tamthebam 144
29. Savage Henry 134
30. parxyz 125
31. Arabdownunder 117

32. buddiepaul, chomp my root, El Guapo, Forest_Fifer, mathematics, scottsdad, Trogdor, TxRover 113
40. sleazy, Sweaty Morph 100

42. ThomCat 94
43. invergowrie arab, Karpaty Lviv, Ray Patterson 78
46. Arbroathlegend36-0, DG.Roma, Lofarl, Mark Connolly, qos_75, sensorsoupe, Sergeant Wilson, Shotgun 75
54. D Angelo Barksdale 71
55. Raidernation 60

56. Florentine_Pogen 58
57. stanton 25
58. Everyone else 0 

The spreadsheet has also been updated with these scores: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CsroU6IlQNJOesOqCc5gsI7SCw8ywBS-PUzQwLTJe4g/edit?usp=sharing

31 minutes ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

Blackberry Smoke drummer Brit Turner of an aggressive brain tumour. No puns, I'm actually quite sad about this one.

Blackberry Smoke drummer Brit Turner dies aged 57 (planetradio.co.uk)

I've never heard of them but did Blackberry Smoke ever appear at the Bramblin Man Festival? 

58 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

I've never heard of them but did Blackberry Smoke ever appear at the Bramblin Man Festival? 

On top of Blueberry Hill singing Strawberry Fields Forever.

49 minutes ago, JustOneCornetto said:

Tony Green, the Bullseye commentator, checks out at 85

A solo shot for @pawpar

If he goes to Hell, will the Devil tell him, "Let's see what you could have won!"?

59 minutes ago, GordonD said:

If he goes to Hell, will the Devil tell him, "Let's see what you could have won!"?

‘Out of the black and into the red’

(‘sorry me old mate, you’re fucking dead’)