Do you say ken?

RawB93

91 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

53 minutes ago, velo army said:

I played for the rugby club which was choc full of local farmers. 

I daresay the town of Strathaven has become weegified as it embraces it's future as a suburb of East Kilbride, but the bucolic surroundings are the ken-belt, for sure.

This, and he rides a bike (probably on pavements)

OFTW, ken. 

11 hours ago, velo army said:

In the non weegie parts of Lanarkshire (Strathaven, Kurkmuirhill, Lesmahagow, Larkhall etc) they say both ken and bairn. 

Doric is magnificent by the way.

I dinnae aye buy sheen in Aiberdeen. But fan I dee I ken fit fit fits fit fit!  

1 hour ago, velo army said:

I played for the rugby club which was choc full of local farmers. 

I daresay the town of Strathaven has become weegified as it embraces it's future as a suburb of East Kilbride, but the bucolic surroundings are the ken-belt, for sure.

My family has been here since the early 80s and I'm 39. Played for the Dynamoes, went to two local schools, go to the local pubs all the time. Don't know a single person who says ken, and my school had the fermers.

Maybe those from the wee villages down towards Ayrshire, etc, but it's definitely not normal.

Sadly, the way the wind is blowing, I'd say Strathaven is likely to grow closer to Hamilton with the amount of building going that way. The Chapelton barrier should keep us from EK for a bit. Not sure which fate is worse.

Edited by DoingThe42

5 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I don't say "ken", it's not really something Invernessians would say.

My mum is from Shetland and she goes back to speaking Shetland dialect when she's talking to her family and they all say "ken".  I think that the Shetland dialect is a form of Scots.

Orcadians do too.  When I was an apprentice there was a couple of boys from Kirkwall in my college class and they both said it.

As has been discussed already. It's basically anywhere outside of the greater Glasgow area,, which for some reason we insists on calling " the west coast" or "the west" despite it only taking up a tiny proportion of the actual western part of Scotland . I don't know why we find it so difficult, other large cities surrounded by large satellite towns have no problem referring to themselves this way - Manchester being a good example 🤷‍♂️

7 hours ago, Jives Miguel said:

Only used in the west coast when mocking tuechtars

Some people enjoy reveling their own stupidity.

D'ya ken @LOL @ Celtic

D'ya ken @LOL @ Celtic

D'ya ken @LOL @ Celtic

I've only heard it used regularly around the Aberdeen area and Buchan, the old fishermen would talk like that. Orkney, I've heard a few from there using it, fishing folk.

Might be in some auld songs from the area. I would think now words like that would be dying out, especially in the cities and big towns as people mix from different areas and cultures.

17 hours ago, tamthebam said:

A Ken is a half pint - "I'll just have a Ken, I'm driving" (after a certain boring Soap opera character)

There's also the P&B Ken which I'm disappointed not to have seen exposed on here ...

image.png.54f3b846fccf4918a1f9c6298a57b830.png

19 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

I do find it a bit odd just how perturbed some more insular Scottish people seem to get about regional dialects and accent variations. 

Especially those that think the plural of you is yous ..utter weirdos 

4 hours ago, Thane of Cawdor said:

I recall reading somewhere that women on the set referred to him as "Cock" Roache. Also remember Celtic fans singing: "who the fucking hell is Ken?", suggesting that Weegies found the usage baffling.

That's rather odd. I was brought up in Leven and stay in Dundee. No shortage of Celtic fans in these two places ye ken.