Raith Rovers vs Ayr United, 22 Dec

Got a point in the end and no damage from Hampden so got to be thankful for that, but to concede four goals at home is absolutely criminal all the more so against ten men. Lessons in decent  defending to be learned big time before next home game.

Just now, foreverarover said:

I'm sorry but as a Raith fan if you think this is anything than a disgrace then look again. Losing 3 goals against ten men. Ian Murray needs to take a long hard look at himself. 

Is your big team Celtic? 😂 Ffs. Where were you a few seasons ago?

Grow up.

1 minute ago, foreverarover said:

I'm sorry but as a Raith fan if you think this is anything than a disgrace then look again. Losing 3 goals against ten men. Ian Murray needs to take a long hard look at himself. 

Have Raith now turned into Celtic fans on speed…

First half, Raith looked nervous and Ayr played round them, Two defensive f**k-ups cost the goals. 
Napier shot his bolt and red carded McGinty, Ayr will have to appeal, and Raith scored in the panic straight after. 
Ayr went for broke and it paid off in a tactical masterclass from Bullen, who then, in a moment of self awareness, fucked the whole thing up. Rather than defend the half way, we defended the 18 yard line, rather than keep the ball, we tried to concede possession and break quickly. If it ain’t broke, break it. 
Ayr were better tonight than they were against Airdrie, Raith don’t like it up’em and we got in to them a few times, our defensive gifts cost us again as well as the game changing subs. 
At 53, you’d think he’d know better

Huge credit to the team for playing out their skins there. An absolutely mental game.

If you had asked me before a ball was kicked and at half time if I'd take a point then I'd have bit your hand off for it.

Gutting to conceded again right at the end. Bullen has a lot to answer for there with the Amartey sub. We had success tonight because we went at Raith and they didn't like it. We pressed them and made them uncomfortable (even with 10 men, which was impressive) and we got amartey and Chalmers running at then. Taking Amartey off killed the momentum and allowed Rovers to come into us.

Bullen probably deserves credit for firing them up for the second half, but that sub did a lot of harm to our threat.

Still, I'm very happy with the point - and there's more than enough there to suggest we will be okay if we apply ourselves like we did tonight.

If I have a heart attack, Raith Rovers FC are to blame. Jesus christ. 

I am stuck somewhere amongst 'we were bloody lucky tonight', 'we totally threw that away, what a missed opportunity' and 'yet again, we rescued a result when it looked beyond us, what a team' in terms of trying to summarise that. 

We let ourselves down badly in defence tonight. Three good goals from Ayr, but we gave them all the time in the world. I can't for the life of me figure out why they subbed Amartey, who was ripping us to bits, and then also decided to sub Dowds and Chalmers who were doing the same. Ayr played well tonight and can feel very hard done by.  

We really, really should.not be putting ourselves in a position where we are in the lead against 10 men and then being forced to rescue results, however. Hopefully the wakeup call is acted upon. 

And finally, I can only hope Stanton's injury isn't as bad as we feared it is. Unfortunately, managing to walk off does not mean that he won't be facing a lengthy spell out. 

We weren't at the races tonight. Ayr were very good going forward in part due to the pace and skill of Chalmers and the other lad and in part due to us being really lax in closing down Ayr. 

Still we scored 4 goals despite being shite, kept going til the end and Vaughan got a hat trick. Last time he did that was against the pars in the Scottish Cup (and I don't want to think about what happened  in his very next game)

More importantly Dundee United didn't gain any ground on us we will still be top on Christmas day and New Year's day. So let's learn the lessons and put it behind us. 

Just now, foreverarover said:

Really really. At half time against 10 men would you expect t your team at Home to lose 3 goals in 45 minutes. Really get a grip no you wouldn't. 

I’ve seen my team lose a major cup final to one of the ugly sisters down to 9 men then a few days later cuff the other half 4-0. 

You are still top of the league.

Your teams results remind me of St Mirren in 99/00 when one week we cuffed Clydebank 8-0 at Love St then later we drew 0-0 in Morten away tops against the same opponent at Cappielow. 

Shite happens. Enjoy your Christmas.

4 minutes ago, foreverarover said:

Jesus christ. We have to expect bad encounters too. What is always a good sign though is when you play awful but still come away with points!

We are still sitting with a cushion at the top of the championship. 8 goal fest, red card, keeper mistake etc, last min equaliser, hattick for Louis and another point on the board. Christ I'll take that.

Merry Christmas to my fellow Rovers and well done to Ayr tonight to round of the year! 

1 minute ago, Michael W said:

And finally, I can only hope Stanton's injury isn't as bad as we feared it is. Unfortunately, managing to walk off does not mean that he won't be facing a lengthy spell out. 

From where I was tonight it looked like Stanton dislocated his shoulder, so not looking good for him.

As for the match it’s obviously tough to take that at the last minute but the players can be proud of themselves tonight. Senga was absolutely immense at the back while Ahui was solid too. Keep playing like that and add some quality in January and we should be well clear of any danger.

3 minutes ago, Michael W said:

I can't for the life of me figure out why they subbed Amartey, who was ripping us to bits, and then also decided to sub Dowds and Chalmers who were doing the same

See if Bullen gets the sack and anyone says, that seems unreasonable, he got them to second last year……^^^^^^^^^

8 minutes ago, Michael W said:

If I have a heart attack, Raith Rovers FC are to blame. Jesus christ. 

I am stuck somewhere amongst 'we were bloody lucky tonight', 'we totally threw that away, what a missed opportunity' and 'yet again, we rescued a result when it looked beyond us, what a team' in terms of trying to summarise that. 

We let ourselves down badly in defence tonight. Three good goals from Ayr, but we gave them all the time in the world. I can't for the life of me figure out why they subbed Amartey, who was ripping us to bits, and then also decided to sub Dowds and Chalmers who were doing the same. Ayr played well tonight and can feel very hard done by.  

We really, really should.not be putting ourselves in a position where we are in the lead against 10 men and then being forced to rescue results, however. Hopefully the wakeup call is acted upon. 

Don’t think any Ayr fan can fathom Bullen’s bonkers subs either ☠️