Derek Adams interview

6 hours ago, velo army said:

It's not about arguing an unfashionable position, it's digging your heels in and arguing repetitively and constantly with everyone whose opinion differs from yours. You also have a habit of being passive aggressively smug when people aren't sharing in your unshakeably optimistic (and in the case of this thread from a place of inexperience as you admit you didn't witness Adams' previous County spells) interpretation of events. Now being an optimist is grand, but you seem unprepared to allow viewpoints that deviate from yours and you get sucked into a vortex of eternal debate. You do seem aware of your tendency to not letting things lie, and that's a big plus. 

I wasn't being generous with my interpretation of your posts by calling you a contrarian and a troll. I don't think you're a troll and you're not entirely a contrarian. Your posts on the TA thread bring a lot of value there. It might be a decent idea to pick your battles.

I'd rather you just put me back on ignore, left me to post freely and leave others to make up their own mind. 

11 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

I think a lot of people are struggling to accept the level of disdain for our game in England. It's viewed with ridicule.

I was speaking to a Spurs fan I work with in the summer and their general opinion was that they couldn't understand why Harry Kane wanted to go and play in 'a shit league' in Germany. So their opinion doesn't really count!

15 minutes ago, Scooby_Doo said:

I was speaking to a Spurs fan I work with in the summer and their general opinion was that they couldn't understand why Harry Kane wanted to go and play in 'a shit league' in Germany. So their opinion doesn't really count!

Unfortunately, with 20 goals in only 14 matches he isn't doing much to convince your Spurs buddy he's wrong. 

31 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Aye, 100 x worse than the English 2nd Division.

Seems legit. 

He was using hyperbole, don't take it literally. It was used to emphasise his point that the English Football League standard he experienced was higher or significantly higher than what he's experienced back in Scotland. Whether he actually believes that or not is still up for debate in my eyes.

13 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

He was using hyperbole, don't take it literally. It was used to emphasise his point that the English Football League standard he experienced was higher or significantly higher than what he's experienced back in Scotland. Whether he actually believes that or not is still up for debate in my eyes.

Mate, I was being sarcastic.  

Of course he was using hyperbole, regardless of anything else how can you even measure how much better Team A is than Team B?  It's very subjective.

1 hour ago, hk blues said:

Unfortunately, with 20 goals in only 14 matches he isn't doing much to convince your Spurs buddy he's wrong. 

I think if Harry Kane had moved to Man City he may well have matched those figures. Just look at Haalands numbers.

The goals he has scored this season is probably a bigger reflection on the difference between Bayern and Spurs than the 2 leagues.

Adams is still wrong though.

Edited by joewarkfanclub

42 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

I think if Harry Kane had moved to Man City he may well have matched those figures. Just look at Haalands numbers.

The goals he has scored this season is probably a bigger reflection on the difference between Bayern and Spurs than the 2 leagues.

Adams is still wrong though.

I wasn't being entirely with my comments on Kane t.b.h. 

I think at this moment Kane is a better player than Haaland, certainly much more experienced and with less rough edges than Haaland currently but he has a good 7 years on him.

14 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

I think a lot of people are struggling to accept the level of disdain for our game in England. It's viewed with ridicule.

The English have a disdain for anything that isn't English, so I'm not sure that's entirely surprising.

18 hours ago, HIT THE CHANNEL said:

A fair few ‘aye but the league is shite tbf’ comments, which I think misses how much of a fucking minter the general interview was.

But on the point about the league, shite compared to what? It’s much better than hundreds of leagues globally.

Shite value for money? If you compare the money available to clubs elsewhere, is the league ‘shite’? Are teams miles off where they should be on these budgets? I wouldn’t say so.

For countries of similar size it seems pretty good to me. Attended brilliantly, too. Aye the old firm size differential is a problem for the overall league competitiveness. But that’s not the point being made here. 

Adams is roaster, always has been and this is another cracker in a long line.

This is a problem that Scotland's had for a while. I believe we're in the top ten countries in Europe right now, according to UEFA's rankings, but we're still shite and constantly getting battered by the worst leagues on the continent, according to an awful lot of Scots. Until recently, we thought our national side was much better than the dross around us in the world rankings, and everyone was very angry at the players and managers for mysteriously not performing to the expected level.

We have absolutely no concept of our abilities and standing in global football, and it changes depending on what suits us at the time. It's depressing considering that it's similar to what we took the piss out of English football fans for, back when their national sport was massively overestimating themselves compared to other nations.

23 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

The English have a disdain for anything that isn't English, so I'm not sure that's entirely surprising.

Aye, I lived in England and can confirm they hold Scottish football in complete disdain. 

Just so happens it’s completely disproportionate and comes from a place of total ignorance. It doesn’t make Scottish football great or mean there isn’t elements where they might be right. It just means you’re getting an ill informed opinion, normally from someone with a weird motivation to feel superior to Scotland in almost every way. 

15 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

Speaking as someone brought up in England in the Eighties, it always was. When Scotland had teams making deep runs into Europe, the idea was that European football must be garbage if the Jocks were doing well.

England's opinion of us is as relevant as Celtgers' opinion of Hearts, or any other team - to them, we exist solely as a measure of how much better they are by comparison, and they'd be furious if that somehow changed.

5 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Aye, I lived in England and can confirm they hold Scottish football in complete disdain. 

Just so happens it’s completely disproportionate and comes from a place of total ignorance. It doesn’t make Scottish football great or mean there isn’t elements where they might be right. It just means you’re getting an ill informed opinion, normally from someone with a weird motivation to feel superior to Scotland in almost every way. 

It depends.

I think there is just a complete lack of interest, obviously resulting in ignorance. But a lot of folk really think it's borderline amateur. I've heard people genuinely surprised to learn that the likes of Ross County are full-time clubs.

Took a couple of mates to Hearts v Dundee United a couple of seasons back, and they genuinely couldn't believe how good it was. Good stadium, good crowd, and the players were miles better than what they'd expected. Seemingly they'd expected the League of Wales. They've been back up since, but until I took them they'd never have considered it.

I think the tv deal is really damaging. It can't be over-stated how bad it is for the image of the game to have things like Livi v Rangers or Accies v Celtic on tv regularly for years. People stand in the pub ripping the pish out of it. It's not a spectacle, but stuff like that is on telly far more than things like Hearts v Aberdeen at a sold out Tynecastle. With that in mind, you can't really blame people for thinking it's all very small-time. A lot of what goes on tv is.

Edited by VincentGuerin

4 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

It depends.

I think there is just a complete lack of interest, obviously resulting in ignorance. But a lot of folk really think it's borderline amateur. I've heard people genuinely surprised to learn that the likes of Ross County are full-time clubs.

Took a couple of mates to Hearts v Dundee United a couple of seasons back, and they genuinely couldn't believe how good it was. Good stadium, good crowd, and the players were miles better than what they'd expected. Seemingly they'd expected the League of Wales. They've been back up since, but until I took them they'd never have considered it.

I think the tv deal is really damaging. It can't be over-stated how bad it is for the image of the game to have things like Livi v Rangers or Accies v Celtic on tv regularly for years. People stand in the pub ripping the pish out of it. It's not a spectacle, but stuff like that is on telly far more than things like Hearts v Aberdeen at a sold out Tynecastle. With that in mind, you can't really blame people for thinking it's all very small-time. A lot of what goes on tv is.

But that’s basically what I said, it comes from a place of ignorance which is fine. I don’t expect them to care. But lots of them form quite strong opinions on the standard without ever having taken time to watch it. 

6 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I , shock horror, have also lived in England and even know some English people . I'll tell you what comes from a place of total ignorance - this idea that all 'English' have a disdain for anything that isn't English. I would guess their view of Scottish football is based on the same two clubs being champions since 1985. I fail to see why you wouldn't hold that in disdain but it's not evidence of a little Englander mentality.

Just now, Dons_1988 said:

But that’s basically what I said, it comes from a place of ignorance which is fine. I don’t expect them to care. But lots of them form quite strong opinions on the standard without ever having taken time to watch it. 

If you support Arsenal and watch them most weeks, you probably do genuinely think Hearts and Motherwell are a waste of time. I'm not sure how much of that they need to watch to confirm that. I mean, the standard is hugely different.

I don't watch much Premier League, but whenever I see it I'm struck by the ease with which players make being a footballer look so easy. Controlling the ball on the move, making an accurate pass etc. Our boys make that look tough. It is very different.

I mean, I've not seen much League of Ireland, but I'm pretty confident most of the teams in it are fucking pish.

I think the strength of opinions are often performative, and that's your kind of Talksport market. Mostly it's just a complete lack of interest. Mentioned on here before, the year we played Hibs in the cup final, hardly any of my English fitba-supporting mates even noticed. It just doesn't exist. To be fair, I couldn't name you the last five seasons of FA Cup and English LEague Cup winners either.

Just now, VincentGuerin said:

If you support Arsenal and watch them most weeks, you probably do genuinely think Hearts and Motherwell are a waste of time. I'm not sure how much of that they need to watch to confirm that. I mean, the standard is hugely different.

I don't watch much Premier League, but whenever I see it I'm struck by the ease with which players make being a footballer look so easy. Controlling the ball on the move, making an accurate pass etc. Our boys make that look tough. It is very different.

I mean, I've not seen much League of Ireland, but I'm pretty confident most of the teams in it are fucking pish.

I think the strength of opinions are often performative, and that's your kind of Talksport market. Mostly it's just a complete lack of interest. Mentioned on here before, the year we played Hibs in the cup final, hardly any of my English fitba-supporting mates even noticed. It just doesn't exist. To be fair, I couldn't name you the last five seasons of FA Cup and English LEague Cup winners either.

Which is all fine but still vindicates my view that the opinion they hold of us isn’t worth very much. If you’re comparing Aberdeen to Arsenal then you’re wasting my time. 

18 hours ago, GorbalsMags said:

Something I keep coming back to, actually, is: who cares how good our league actually is relative to the one of the richest league structures in the world? It's build on a house of cards and the second the telly money thins out a bit the entire league, or the parts of it not financed by blood money, is bankrupt.

Remember that being said 5/10/15 years ago, the money in the English game isn't suddenly going to disappear, especially with all the advertisement involved. It will keep going and getting bigger for the foreseeable. 

9 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I wouldn't say that is true across the board, obviously with your EPL supporting fans it's going to be the general view, however once you start filtering down the leagues I'd say there are some fairly sensible views. 

One of the problems we have is when a game is on the box and one of the Old Firm are skelping the likes of County or whoever, what are people meant to think? Fair enough the English leagues top 4/6/7 whatever it is now is fairly consistent but they've had several different league winners since 2010 including bloody Leicester. Our league hasn't seen any change in nearly 40 years, there isn't going to be interest when the league is essentially called after the first Old Firm game.