Derek Adams interview

17 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

And if he doesn't lose?

Then it proves the point that it isn't always the case that players raise/lower their game according to comments from their manager.  

If you're suggesting that Adams' comments were part of a well thought out plan then fair enough but I think you're crediting him with more than he deserves. 

I get that he's exaggerated a bit, but I do find the reaction here slightly funny.

We all know our league is shite. We moan about it all the time. 🤣

He's just said the quiet bit out loud and added a bit of colour.

I caught up with the Sportsound podcast on this. In the space of about ten seconds Tom English slags him off before himself confirming twice that our league is "a poor league". And it is. We all know that.

Maybe Adams really believes he was dealing with better players at Morecambe. Who knows? But I don't really hold any truck with this idea that people shouldn't talk down the league. Crowds are healthy, interest is good, and that's not a bad position from which to address the fact that most of what we watch is fucking dreadful and over-priced, and look at how to change things.

Doesn't mean he's not a c**t, but there's a hilarious level of hypocrisy in the responses here. How many match threads on here refer to how fucking pish the league is? Does anybody think there's a good team in the league this season? I've not seen one.

Edited by VincentGuerin

12 hours ago, ATLIS said:

My only actual reference to another league is Dutch football, but I'd comfortably say that the quality there is above and beyond Scottish football for the most part but there's crossover in the difference. That's mainly down to budgets though, the root of the issue is the TV deal that is about 10-15 years out of date in terms of actual value.

This year you've got PSV and Feyenoord that could correlate to your Celtic and Rangers, two teams that seem to be a cut above. Then you've got Ajax on an off season who in recent memory have made it to the semis of a UCL. Twente are having a decent season in 3rd but they'd probably comfortably handle a Hearts/Hibs/Aberdeen as would AZ. 

The middle of that Eredivise is a weird one though, we beat Fortuna Sittard in a (friendly) cup final last winter while they could afford to have Burak Yilmaz up front that was probably comfortably on 10k+ p/w. Teams in that middle bit like Sparta Rotterdam, Heerenveen, Go Ahead Eagles, Nijmegen and Utrecht probably all slot comfortably into a top 6 European chasing side mould for the Premiership. Most of them, though, probably have clubs on double or triple what the likes of a Livi, St Johnstone or Ross County do.

Bottom end of it clubs like Volendam, Waalwijk and Almelo are bottom end Premiership clubs scrapping relegation. Volendam for example have Garang Kuol playing most weeks for them. Then again you have second tier Gronigen paying 6k+ p/w for Van Veen in the second tier and are sitting 9th (I'm aware it's not really worked for him but the budgets are the same regardless of position). Hilarious aside, that second division is called The Kitchen Champion division!

There's no real way to accurately predict how those teams would do but the budgets are a big part of the conversation, the quality of football is a lot higher than a lot of the stuff served up weekly here though. That may be influenced by me watching Livi 'play' football though.

What kind of relationship do the "other clubs" in Dutch football have with Ajax, Feyenoord, PSV? Do they tend to be as exploitative as the OF here, or is there more of a collective attitude?

After Malkie’s crap team selection and boringly crap post match comments I’ll take Derek Adam’s contributions as a welcome change. Yes he’s a fud at times, but he’s done well with us before and I’m happy to give him another shot at it. Can’t wait for the weird and wonderful recruitment in the January window. 

28 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Then it proves the point that it isn't always the case that players raise/lower their game according to comments from their manager.  

If you're suggesting that Adams' comments were part of a well thought out plan then fair enough but I think you're crediting him with more than he deserves. 

So if County lose then he's lost the dressing room and if County don't then it then it's it's unrelated to the manager. Have I got that right?

Just now, 2426255 said:

So if County lose then he's lost the dressing room and if County don't then it then it's it's unrelated to the manager. Have I got that right?

No, you haven't. 

I'm saying you have to apply logic to any reaction from the County players.  

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

Looking forward to seeing Ross County getting a result or two in their upcoming games and seeing the attempts to explain why Adams critiscising his players publicly hasn't resulted in the players downing their tools.

I've read all your posts and I think there is something in what you say.  Lets be clear; Derek Adams is an odd ball, he always has been.  I am sure after a match he goes home and watches the game 3 times over on VHS.  Then he reads a book on European training methods, then goes to bed with a Roy Keane biography.  The question for me is whether he has the nous to get a reaction by saying what he said.

For me it was too soon after the game, went too far, went off on a tangent to be a thought out strategy.  It was too raw.  However, it may well get a reaction from his players, it certainly got a reaction elsewhere.  But I dont think it was deliberate.

1 hour ago, hk blues said:

It would be logical that his comments could lead to him losing the dressing room.  So, yes, if County lose their next few games it wouldn't be unreasonable to attribute it to him losing the dressing room.

39 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I thought I was being logical. On the one hand you'll attribute defeats to Derek Adams losing the dressing room for his critical comments. On the other hand you'll dismiss them if results go the other direction. I don't think you can have it both ways mate.

Edited by 2426255

1 hour ago, mizfit said:

Convinced it is Adams now. 

He was like this on the TA forum before settling down eventually.

One of those who believes being a contrarian to extreme opinions, and acting "neutral" (or logical as theyll call it), makes them more intelligent. 

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

One of those who believes being a contrarian to extreme opinions, and acting "neutral" (or logical as theyll call it), makes them more intelligent. 

Not true, it's just minority opinion that I feel is strong enough to argue. The boards are always filled with these sort of discussion, disagreements etc, that's always been a part of it. Arguing from a minority or unpopular position is difficult, but you know it can be done.

This isn't as hard as it could be because the County fans seem to agree generally. As you've said though I'm used to arguing difficult positions, so it's fine. Fans are reactive, we know that. I think you have to consider what all possible outcomes are in the future when assessing what light to view Adams comments. 

Edited by 2426255

8 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

What In your view were the other factors? 

We had just gone through another rebuild of the squad, our 16th or 17th rebuild under Adams, and he got it very.....very wrong (Just mentioning the words Balk, Celcer, Fenlon &  Dressen is enough to send shivers down the spine to anyone who had the misfortune to witness them). 

Then there's the standard of play, we had just finished the previous season 7th which was pretty decent, but we started that season with straight losses (4 in total I think by the end of Aug when Derek left) in the league, with no sign of any improvements coming.  

There was mentions, as always is with Derek, of losing the dressing room.  How much is open to debate, some say that the players hated playing under Derek, some say it was just a few who disliked the repetitive nature of training, some say he was just weird.....

The key factor (imo) was the sacking of George Adams, (Derek's Da) due to continued battles between McGregor and Adams snr at the boardroom level.  McGregor has stated that he had wanted to stick with Derek so I think he would have been given time to turn it around, whether he would have or not who knows.

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Jesus, you really are a sanctimonious twat with people who have different opinions to you are you?

10 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

I thought I was being logical. On the one hand you'll attribute defeats to Derek Adams losing the dressing room for his critical comments. On the other hand you'll dismiss them if results go the other direction. I don't think you can have it both ways mate.

I know it can be read that way but...

I think it's reasonable to believe that Adams' comment could well have a negative reaction, less so a positive one. So, any negative reaction is more reasonably attributed to his comments rather than a positive one.  

That's about all I've got.  

Just now, hk blues said:

I know it can be read that way but...

I think it's reasonable to believe that Adams' comment could well have a negative reaction, less so a positive one. So, any negative reaction is more reasonably attributed to his comments rather than a positive one.  

That's about all I've got.  

That's a bit unfair, no?

Just now, 2426255 said:

That's a bit unfair, no?

Not as unfair as a 97th minute winner against you but that's life!

Joking apart, it's not a  matter of fair or unfair as much as looking at human nature in response to criticism, and judging whether a response is natural or not.

That's really, really all I've got now, mate.

10 minutes ago, Pete the Jakey said:

Jesus, you really are a sanctimonious twat with people who have different opinions to you are you?

You're the guy who defending Malky Mackay across the forum arent you? Trying to claim he wasnt racist as you couldnt prove he'd sent those messages?

23 minutes ago, Pete the Jakey said:

I've read all your posts and I think there is something in what you say.  Lets be clear; Derek Adams is an odd ball, he always has been.  I am sure after a match he goes home and watches the game 3 times over on VHS.  Then he reads a book on European training methods, then goes to bed with a Roy Keane biography.  The question for me is whether he has the nous to get a reaction by saying what he said.

For me it was too soon after the game, went too far, went off on a tangent to be a thought out strategy.  It was too raw.  However, it may well get a reaction from his players, it certainly got a reaction elsewhere.  But I dont think it was deliberate.

Yeah I pretty much took the same thing. I thought, aside from all the quality of Scottish football stuff, it seemed a bit harsh to rip in to his team so much. Since he took over they were doing away fine. You'll know better than me obviously. Maybe just giving as many hints to the  owner as possible that he's wanting his own signings in January.

19 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

You're the guy who defending Malky Mackay across the forum arent you? Trying to claim he wasnt racist as you couldnt prove he'd sent those messages?

Give it a rest. Malky is no longer a County employee so zip it. Your team manager has been known to physically asssault is own team mates on the field of play. Violent thug!