Queen's Park ⚫⚪ v Dundee United 🟠⚫ - 22nd December

Been begging for a defensive performance like that for months now. We stopped the tippy tappy nonsense from the goalkeeper, defended our box confidently and the work ethic was superb. Nuijten’s been highlighting the need to do the jobs that don’t require talent more often and tonight was a clear improvement in that aspect. Yes, we did do virtually nothing going forward but until the defence is sorted, we’re going to get relegated with minimal fuss

Everyone played their part tonight but my motm was Jack Thomson. Placed in an unnatural position and absolutely bossed it. I’m such a Thomson fan when he’s on it and tonight reinforced my opinion he could go on to a higher level in the near future. Such a powerful player. Shoutouts to Longridge and Ferrie who were also excellent 

Dundee United were quite rubbish.  Naturally as the game was progressing, I was expecting a moment of quality to separate the two sides but United actually seemed to get worse. We were beginning to win our battles in midfield and ultimately Paton should have buried his header from an excellent delivery. Tony watt particularly was chronic up top. Looked unfit and disinterested 

Far from perfect but we needed this result and a sign there’s some resilience in the players. There’s a competent team there if the right manager comes in and he’s gets appropriate backing to sign 3-4 key players in January. Sets up the Airdrie match nicely next week. Huge game 

10 hours ago, Housecaptain said:

Should United go up with that team, they will get slaughtered, that was a pathetic display and Goodwin was unable to do anything about it. 

Famously no team signs players in the summer.

Wanting to visit Hampden Park, I watched the game against Morton a few months ago.  There are definite signs of improvement from Queen's Park.  This one was a game for the purist, though.  When you are struggling, the temptation is to resort to ale house football.  However, there was improved organisation and at least an intention to try and play a bit from the home side.   If managing a football team was just about having the biggest budget, we could all do it.  Now's the time for both coaches to earn their corn.

11 hours ago, Kevin Finnerty said:

Paul Nuijten being introduced as "caretaker manager" by the BBC. I know it was basically assumed that this was the case but am I right in thinking this is the first time he's actually been referred to as such?

Think so as the club has only said he is "taking the first team starting from the Morton game". Don't quite know what that means title wise as you need to be a really good tea leaf reader to understand Queen's Parks communications, that is on the rare occasions they deign to let us know what is actually going on.

13 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

I did enjoy the commentary repeating "You have to admire the way Queen's Park stick to their ethos" every 5 minutes.  Usually just after one of their 9 defenders punted the ball straight to the opposition.

Backs to the wall performance. Thankfully the ethos went out of the window last night otherwise we would have been pumped.  

15 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

I did enjoy the commentary repeating "You have to admire the way Queen's Park stick to their ethos" every 5 minutes.  Usually just after one of their 9 defenders punted the ball straight to the opposition.

We'll, it worked for us. You Lichtie lads could learn something here. How many is it you've shipped to United without scoring - ten in two games? United pressed us so the punting was a direct result of that. That they weren't able to take advantage of it was their problem.

Needs must, and the guys put in a power of a shift, with us crafting the best chance of the game which Paton should have buried.

We desperately needed to steady the ship and we did that. Every credit to them.

First time this season I have seen a QP defence virtually keep its shape the whole game. The effort and determination was tremendous. It was exactly the type of boring performance we needed. My criticism last night was reserved entirely for Paton. He contributed nothing with little effort while his team mates were busting a gut for the team. He cannot jump. He cannot run and last night he royally messed up the chance to be a hero with an incredible headed miss. Basically we are a team without a striker. Fantastic effort from the rest of the lads with Thomson immense. Great shout for Ferrie and Longstaff. 

On a completely unrelated point why do we allocate the East stand to large away support when we allow them to park their buses to the extreme West with the home support in between? At the end I had an uncomfortable moment trying to cut through some questionable United fans making their way to their buses while I was trying to get to my car in the car park. Would it not be more sensible for away support to be close to their buses and stick us in the East?

43 minutes ago, williebraveheart said:

First time this season I have seen a QP defence virtually keep its shape the whole game. The effort and determination was tremendous. It was exactly the type of boring performance we needed. My criticism last night was reserved entirely for Paton. He contributed nothing with little effort while his team mates were busting a gut for the team. He cannot jump. He cannot run and last night he royally messed up the chance to be a hero with an incredible headed miss. Basically we are a team without a striker. Fantastic effort from the rest of the lads with Thomson immense. Great shout for Ferrie and Longstaff. 

On a completely unrelated point why do we allocate the East stand to large away support when we allow them to park their buses to the extreme West with the home support in between? At the end I had an uncomfortable moment trying to cut through some questionable United fans making their way to their buses while I was trying to get to my car in the car park. Would it not be more sensible for away support to be close to their buses and stick us in the East?

I’m going to jump in and defend Paton here a bit. I think one of the main problems we have with the squad is the absence of someone who can comfortably play in the number 10 position (at least until Savoury comes back). Paton is basically basically having to cover both positions, often having to drop far too deep to try and get involved so it’s no surprise that in some games he’s not as effective as we would like. I see no lack of effort on his part.

16 minutes ago, Spider Rico said:

I’m going to jump in and defend Paton here a bit. I think one of the main problems we have with the squad is the absence of someone who can comfortably play in the number 10 position (at least until Savoury comes back). Paton is basically basically having to cover both positions, often having to drop far too deep to try and get involved so it’s no surprise that in some games he’s not as effective as we would like. I see no lack of effort on his part.

I agree with you. To my eye the lad ran his socks off last night with little service or support. He looked spent by the last 10 minutes, which makes the absence of a veteran striker who could come off the bench and give us 20-30 minutes of effort all the more telling.