Dumbarton vs Clyde

Match Outcome  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Match Outcome

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 23/12/23 at 14:00

9 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I was able to watch those last two Clyde goals back and from the Pixellot angle (which isn’t the best admittedly) I thought Harry Broun should’ve saved both of those late Clyde goals. He was beaten very easily at his near post for their 3rd goal (poppadom hands) and the 4th just seem to trundle through him despite him looking like he was in a good position to save it (although there were a few bodies obscuring the view).

I just don’t feel confident with him between the sticks unfortunately, which is the complete opposite from how I feel with Brett Long. The sensible thing for us to do would be to go out and sign a goalkeeper as soon as we can IMHO as sticking with Broun would be a huge risk based on what I’ve saw of him thus far.

A fair assessment, and whilst it seems harsh to criticise a young player who has had to bide his time, today was a really tough watch in such an important position.  I also agree on the two late goals, the equaliser in particular hardly seemed to hit the net.

However, it wasn't all down to Harry Broun.  Finlay Gray, who had put in a great shift, rather diminished it by inexplicably trying to dribble out from deep ahead of the fourth goal, instead of simply hoofing the ball over Dumbuck Hill.

And irrespective of the weather Clyde sprung our back line far too often even without the help of the stand-side linesman in the first half.  Whilst we had a makeshift defence, there were far too many basic errors on the day.

The draw was reminiscent of the last gasp equaliser The Man Who Cannot Be Named scored for Clyde here a few seasons back, after we had pounded them.  Today they deserved their point.

Who’d have ever thought in say October 2020 that Ian McCall would ever describe the Clyde support going mental as “lovely”?

Truthfully, he could still wear his Thistle joggies and as long as he makes us a better football team, I wouldn’t care!

48 minutes ago, Replays said:

Who’d have ever thought in say October 2020 that Ian McCall would ever describe the Clyde support going mental as “lovely”?

Truthfully, he could still wear his Thistle joggies and as long as he makes us a better football team, I wouldn’t care!

It was all fairly level headed apart from the bit about Dumbarton having title aspirations 😂 Clyde will be fine this year with Jobby at the helm 👍

1 hour ago, Silverton End said:

I was to the left of the hospitality area, near the away fans, there was a good crowd today btw, & Broun didn't have much chance with the goals.

Especially the Clyde 4th, we had 3 defenders standing around like statues, watching, letting the boy hit his shot.

Broun is no Brett Long for sure, but he's not to blame for us dropping 2 valuable points today.

Broun certainly wasn’t solely to blame for how the game panned out but I’m fairly confident we’d have won that with Brett Long in goal. The 3rd was more than saveable, I watched it back numerous times and Broun almost dives out the way of it. Aaron Lynas was also badly dragged out of position and left the Clyde player wide open but he should’ve saved it, it was hit straight at him from an awkward angle at his near post!

Having watched the 4th back there I still think he should be doing better. There are a few defenders infront of him but he gets down pretty slowly from what is a decent starting position, he gets smaller as he dives towards the ball by kind of curling up and his view isn’t massively obscured despite the amount of players in the box.

It sounds like I’m highlighting his errors as some sort of witch hunt against him but that’s not the case and I do have sympathy for him coming in out the cold to try and cement his place in hurricane conditions. I’m purely putting my point across that I think we need to make signing a new goalkeeper a priority, despite a few supporters thinking he’s the man to fill the position. This also applies to the centre back position because Aaron Lynas and Matthew Shiels aren’t centre backs and the lack of backup there has been a glaring issue since this squad was assembled.

I reckon,  in theory, Faz fancied one of his many square pegs to fill the round hole of CB well enough. Given we have tried Lynas, Malcolm, Shiels etc all in there. Did Carlo not end up in CB in a match before too?

But I agree, we need Durnan back in the team next week so we can get our players in their best positions. I'm much more confident with our defence with Durnan partnering Crighton and Carlo and Shiels in the full back positions.

We need a 'keeper who is at least good enough to challenge for the number 1. It would be criminal to run with this young lad who, hopefully still have plenty of time to grow into being capable of being a first choice. But, for me, comes up just a little short at this moment.

Also, I hope Kalvin isn't too badly injured. He pulled up pretty early in the 2nd half but played on for a while after it. Looked like his groin...

Hard to tell about the penalty call on my phone screen from there. I’ll be honest, at the time I genuinely hadn’t even realised it was for the attempted block of the cross rather the effort that followed. Leighfield’s got to do better with that second goal despite the deflection IMO.

Broun definitely shouldn't be getting beaten at his near post like that for the 3rd and the defending (or lack of!) in the lead up and for the 4th is just criminal.

Wasn't much in terms of quality on show yesterday, with all the goals falling into the category of being preventable.

Credit to Broun for the one-on-one save, which was definitely onside.

He’s let the 3rd just go through him, though. From an angle at his near post, he has to do better. Got to be standing up to that, with strong hands. Have to be prepared to take that one full in the face. He should be getting to the 4th, too. Like I said, Long saves both.

So the Clyde players were complaining the ball went out for our 4th, which was a strange one.

Edited by FifeSons

Hard to say anything about Dumbarton's penalty award based on those highlights unfortunately. I wasn't sure yesterday whether the contact for our penalty was inside the box, but it absolutely was. Such a shame that such a concession was League Two Tony's only contribution to the game other than celebrating a penalty with the worst "griddy" you'll ever see. You frequently see keepers at a much higher level caught out by shots like Leslie's, so I wouldn't be too harsh on the young lad there. I wasn't aware at the time in amongst the bedlam just how well Dunachie did for the equaliser. To pull it down and hit it on the turn like that and in those conditions is something most strikers would be proud of. What a man, and what a goal! 

2 minutes ago, squeezebox-son said:

Hasn't been mentioned, but surely the boy trying to stop our fourth on the line with his hand should have seen a card? Maybe not a red since the goal went in anyway, but something I would think?

I couldn’t figure out what they were complaining about. Looked bizarrely that they were saying it should’ve been a penalty instead of a goal.

1 minute ago, FifeSons said:

Things really must be dire at Clyde to celebrate a point against Stevie Farrell that keeps you rooted to the bottom of the league on single figures, like that.

Och away you go, if you can’t celebrate scoring two goals in injury time to take something from a game you thought was gone a few minutes earlier then when can you?