Gen Z “suffering menu anxiety at restaurants”

ICTChris

I genuinely didn't know people felt pressure when ordering in restaurants. Is that why so many people want to know what everyone else is ordering before they'll make a decision themselves? I've known people who would get really annoyed if you wouldn't tell them, so now I feel like a bit of a c**t for dicking them around.

Dunno if this helps, but you're attending a business that exists entirely to make money by pleasing you - it's one of the few occasions in life where people are there to cater to your wishes. There are no wrong decisions, and nobody's judging you for what you eat or drink; they'll barely remember you within five minutes, as they'll serve hundreds of people during their shift. The only thing anyone cares about is that you pay your bill and don't act like a Karen, which doesn't include politely pointing out that they've brought you the wrong thing, or that your food is cold/not prepared as you requested. The emphasis being on "politely".

Edit: fussy eaters are fine so long as they understand it's their problem, and act accordingly. Unfortunately, there are plenty who like to inflict it on everyone else.

Finding a lot of foods repulsive seems common with the neurodivergent too, along with being disgusted by the idea of different foodstuffs touching each other on the plate. People can't control how they feel about these things, but know your own issues and make polite requests. Most restaurants will happily make adjustments and if they refuse, you know where to avoid in future. Unfortunately, this is learned behaviour, so worth bearing in mind if you have a younger colleague who seems like they're acting the c**t; they might just need to see a better way of handling things.

Edited by BFTD

24 minutes ago, BFTD said:

There are no wrong decisions, and nobody's judging you for what you eat or drink; they'll barely remember you within five minutes, as they'll serve hundreds of people during their shift. The only thing anyone cares about is that you pay your bill and don't act like a Karen, which doesn't include politely pointing out that they've brought you the wrong thing, or that your food is cold/not prepared as you requested. The emphasis being on "politely".

If you're a repeat customer you'll probably be judged though over time for positive or negative. That's something to be wary of. Even if you're polite about it, if you're constantly sending food back or making life more difficult for staff or not tipping across multiple visits then you'll get a low level of hostility in my opinion.

I don't look at it as staff catering to my wishes, management want you to think like that - staff probably don't. I just look at it as paying for dinner in someone else's place and you have to respect that. If you're fussy it'll end up just pissing staff off no matter how polite you are. I just accept what I'm given. If I don't like it I just don't go back. I definitely don't start fucking about trying to change the restaurant to fit my preferences.

Edited by 2426255

8 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I get anxious when the menu in a restaurant is marked "13.5" rather than "£13.50". Generally means it's too posh for me and I don't belong there...

What about "13,5"?

You're in a fancy Euro restaurant and they're going to expect you to read another language!  :P

5 minutes ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

Kill young people.

There's too many of them, and they're fitter/stronger than us.

We need someone to come up with a final solution for the problem of youth. Waiting for them to become miserable auld c***s takes too long.

Just now, BFTD said:

There's too many of them, and they're fitter/stronger than us.

We need someone to come up with a final solution for the problem of youth. Waiting for them to become miserable auld c***s takes too long.

Make them watch Morten, that'll speed up the process.

2 hours ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

I was placed next to a woman at our Christmas meal last week who ‘didn’t like’ any of the starters, and who only ate the roast potatoes from the main course. She basically just had dessert for her dinner. Fussy eaters are genuinely up there with nonces for me as some of the worst people in society.

People who say " I don't need to try something to know I don't like it" should be shot on site

2 hours ago, BFTD said:

What about "13,5"?

You're in a fancy Euro restaurant and they're going to expect you to read another language!  :P

Ich lerne Deutsch. So hopefully when I'm in Berlin that's one tickbox filled in...

27 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

You can't have any pudding if you don't eat your meat. 

6 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

I take you don't care for vegetarians or vegans.

Roger waters doesn't care for many folk at all these days. 

A quick google takes me to this: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/sep/28/roger-waters-accused-of-repeated-antisemitism-in-new-documentary

Norbert Stachel, Waters’ former saxophonist, alleged several instances where he said Waters displayed anti-Jewish sentiment. He claimed Waters lost his temper on tour in Lebanon after a succession of vegetarian dishes were produced at a restaurant and demanded that waiters “take away the Jew food”.