The January Window of '24

Not done one of these in a while but feel as though it can be quite handy when a transfer window comes around. I'll do the usual keeping track of signings and departures on this page but feel free to discuss what you feel your team needs when the window opens (or what you'd like to see) or what rumours are doing the rounds. 

Airdrieonians

In:

Out:

Arbroath

In: Innes Murray (free transfer, Edinburgh City), Zak Delaney (free transfer, Inverness Caledonian Thistle), Gordon Walker (free transfer, Cork City), Kyle Robinson (free transfer, Drogheda United), Adam MacKinnon (loan, Ross County)

Out:

Ayr United

In:

Out: Finn Ecrepont (free transfer, Stranraer), Ollie Ecrepont (loan, East Stirlingshire), Jack Young (loan end, Wycombe Wanderers)

Dundee United:

In: Alex Grieve (loan, St Mirren), David Wotherspoon (free transfer, Inverness Caledonian Thistle)

Out: 

Dunfermline Athletic

In: Malachi Fagan-Walcott (loan, Cardiff City)

Out:

Greenock Morton

In: Iain Wilson (free transfer, Queen of the South)

Out:

Inverness Caledonian Thistle

In: James Carragher (loan, Wigan Athletic)

Out: Zak Delaney (free transfer, Arbroath), David Wotherspoon (free transfer, Dundee United), Sean Welsh (free transfer, Queens Park), Harry Hennem (free transfer, Nairn County), Cillian Sheridan (free transfer)

Partick Thistle

In: Luke McBeth (undisclosed fee, Glenafton), Daniel O'Reilly (free transfer, Raith Rovers), Ross Stewart (free transfer, Heart of Midlothian)

Out: Wes McDonald (free transfer), Ben Williamson (loan end, Rangers), Nathan McGinley (loan end, Motherwell), Mason McCready (loan, The Spartans)

Queens Park

In: Sean Welsh (free transfer, Inverness Caledonian Thistle)

Out: Barry Hepburn (loan end, Bayern Munich)

Raith Rovers

In: Kyle Turner (loan, Ross County)

Out: Daniel O'Reilly (free transfer, Partick Thistle)

Edited by D'Jaffo

9 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Our BoD are making loud noises that amount to f**k all happening. Sharp(return from loan) out maybe one or two loans in max

I think loans will be the order of the day for most clubs and most won't happen until the final week of January. For Ayr, I can't see much more than a couple coming in although I'm sure the club said back in the summer that there was scope to bring players in as opposed to last season where they spent almost all the budget in the summer. 

16 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Our BoD are making loud noises that amount to f**k all happening. Sharp(return from loan) out maybe one or two loans in max

Wouldn’t be stunned if the Pars board stuck with what you've got, you’ve just come up and are sat in 4th place.  Doesn’t look like you’ll be in any danger of relegation and a decent chance of a playoff spot.  Consolidation will have been the aim for the season. Save the cash for summer and next season possibly. 

Don't expect too much from movement at Morton either.

Harkness returned to Rangers not long after signing due to injury and French has a recall option with Dundee in Jan so if he goes back , we obviously need a new Rb. To be honest, wouldn't be that bothered if he does go back, hasn't been that impressive and we could probably find better.

Big one for Morton is Strapp. Only signed until Jan but think we would all love to see him sign on until at least the summer.

If I'm being greedy, another striker would be ideal, someone to come on and have an impact and give competition to Oakley and Muirhead who play 90 mins most weeks. Quitongo and Boyd could do that job if fit and on form but that's been few and far between this season. Someone like Ally Roy last year, except with actual ability.

King and Garrity due back in Jan. I'd keep King out but possibly take Garrity back and give us another attacking option, especially with Quitongo always injured, Bearne raw and Boyd off form. Garrity appears to be doing well at Annan. Maybe give him some game time in Jan and if doesn't do well enough, he can go back to Annan.

I'd like to think we are planning on getting a centre back that can cover either one of the full back positions or CDM in on loan early in the window, or extending Senga's (and Young) loan to the end of the season. 

14 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

I'd like to think we are planning on getting a centre back that can cover either one of the full back positions or CDM in on loan early in the window, or extending Senga's (and Young) loan to the end of the season. 

I dunno, I think I’d potentially send Senga back if it meant we could free up a wage for a more attacking midfielder to play in the position that McGeady has done against Airdrie and Raith. 

I agree on the centre back though. If O’Reilly isn’t renewing at Raith he would probably walk straight into our starting eleven right now. 

I would like to see us make moves to sign Dowds and Chalmers on permanent multi-year deals. I would also extend Young and Senga's loans if possible.

Also I think we need a centre back, midfielder and a striker. CB and striker in particular are positions in which we are an injury away from a crisis. Also Musonda is going to AFCON so we need to replace him anyway.

I don't for a second believe that all of these will be addressed in January, but that's my wishlist anyway.

Don't think there will be many changes at Firhill. We've maxed out our domestic loan usage but the loans of Ben Williamson and Nathan McGinley are up in January, Williamson is about 5th choice centre mid and McGinley hasn't played a minute since signing, so both of them could go. Though there's also a rumour we've agreed a PCA with Williamson which doesn't make much sense given his lack of game time. 

Wes Mcdonald hasn't worked out at all, hasn't made the last few squads and good chance he gets mutually consented back to England in January. 

Dowds could go to Ayr on a permanent deal but would be up to Ayr to decide if having him tied down, freeing up a loan slot and being able to play 2 extra games vs us is worth what fee we'd want rather than agreeing a PCA and getting him for free in the summer. 

In terms of incoming, think most  are agreed that a defensive midfielder, a winger, and a left sided centre back would be the shopping list, Doolan has already acknowledged the first is a need. 

Edited by Fuctifano

15 hours ago, parsforlife said:

14 hours ago, San Starko Rover said:

Wouldn’t be stunned if the Pars board stuck with what you've got, you’ve just come up and are sat in 4th place.  Doesn’t look like you’ll be in any danger of relegation and a decent chance of a playoff spot.  Consolidation will have been the aim for the season. Save the cash for summer and next season possibly. 

Yep Sharp back to Dundee and then replaced with another loan, probably defensive cover, is the sum total of my expectations. 

Biggest hopes for the window: keeping Iain Wilson and Lewis Strapp

Biggest fear for the window: signing Ali Crawford

Dundee will want French back which is no great loss anyway so expect to see a right back in, whether that's another shot for a fit again Harkness or someone else. In an ideal world we'd get another centre forward to have more options to change things when both Oakley and Muirhead have started but that's a lower priority than defenders, especially if Strapp moves on having proved his fitness. If Queen of the South could avoid getting even worse so Bartley keeps his job and there's no risk of a new manager wanting Wilson back that'd be ideal, he's been excellent.

Best thing for King's development is continuing to get starts every week at Clyde rather than half an hour off the bench a month with us, but again there is a question there about having enough cover, especially if Wilson goes back to Queen of the South. Easy to forget how recently we were going into games with only 13 or 14 first team players available with 16 year olds making up the numbers on the bench.

With that in mind I'd bring back Garrity, even though wingers are the position we're most well stocked on and we have Quitongo to come back as well. With four goals in his last five starts he's hitting a bit of form that merits being given a chance off the bench, even if he then goes back to Annan in February if he doesn't manage to make an impact here.

14 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

If O’Reilly isn’t renewing at Raith he would probably walk straight into our starting eleven right now. 

I suspect O’Reilly is the current belle of the ball in the Championship. He’s shown a clear capacity to play at this level (I’d actually say he’s a probable starter on perhaps half the teams right now, and a contender on most of the rest), he can play in the middle or left of a three or four, he’s out of contract, and he’s made it clear he’s seeking playing time. Where he goes will likely have a significant influence on a number of other decisions. I thinks he’s probably likely to leave Raith simply because he and Murray are cut from the same cloth, if Watson is finally healthy again.

Wes McDonald released

Ben Williamson and Nathan McGinley return to Rangers and Motherwell, respectively, after loan spells.

39 minutes ago, jagfox said:

Ayr extend Anton Dowds' loan until the end of the season.

But you probably knew that @D'Jaffo👍

Aye it was confirmed last month that Thistle had passed up their right to recall him. Hopefully we can sort out a PCA as I’m certain clubs will be trying to get him in the summer.