Coaching Carousel 2024

lichtie23

Black Monday is on the horizon and teams will start their hunt for new head coaches. 

The Chargers, Raiders & Panthers are all currently looking for head coaches after firings during the season. Washington will surely cut ties with Ron Rivera after another disappointing season. Is Belichick done in New England? Has Vrabel ran his course in Tennessee??

Lions OC Ben Johnson seems to be this seasons hottest name this season. After an impressive campaign in Dallas Dan Quinn should get another crack at a Head Coaching job. I’d imagine Antonio Pierce will get the job full time in Vegas. Other candidates include 

Mike McDonald - Ravens DC
Brian Flores - Vikings DC
Aaron Glenn - Lions DC
Brian Johnson - Eagles OC

There’s rumours that Mark Davis is getting itchy feet about some of these big names that might be available, like Belichick and Harbaugh, which is steering him away from what would be the logical decision in retaining Antonio Pierce.

I think AP has done enough to deserve a shot, although the offense needs a complete overhaul regardless of who gets the gig. New OC, new QB, new OL.

ETA - there’s always a couple of unexpected firings. I’ll guess the list of HC vacancies are:
Raiders
Panthers
Chargers
Commanders
Patriots
Titans
Saints

Edited by Nightmare

5 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

So we all expect Bill to be gone in New England today? 

Jim Harbaugh name being heavily linked with the Chargers 

He's been linked with jobs before and it's come to nothing, difference this time is he is coming to the end of a college season in which he has been suspended for cheating twice. Can certainly see him coming back to the NFL now. 

5 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

He's been linked with jobs before and it's come to nothing, difference this time is he is coming to the end of a college season in which he has been suspended for cheating twice. Can certainly see him coming back to the NFL now. 

Hope Michigan get pumped tonight 

3 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Hope Michigan get pumped tonight 

Defo, it's debatable what impact the sign stealing had, but there is no getting away from the fact that a lot of players who were recruited during covid and breaking the rules will be playing for them tonight.

Edited by peasy23

27 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

The Raiders fans certainly seem to be all for giving Pierce a shot at it full time.

I think most like Pierce, but many would also prefer Harbaugh, which seems to be on the table.

It’s not often there’s an elite coach both available and interested. He may still prefer the Chargers gig due to Justin Herbert, but he’s close with Mark Davis having been on the Raiders staff in Oakland way back, his wife is from Vegas and you don’t pay any state tax in Nevada…

If he does go to LA (or indeed stay in Michigan) I would be fine with Pierce getting the job.

ETA - two examples of the types of tweet we’re going to see a lot of in the next couple of weeks. “Insider” accounts making speculative posts as if they know anything:

They even used the same cover picture for their tweets.

Edited by Nightmare

32 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

I think most like Pierce, but many would also prefer Harbaugh, which seems to be on the table.

It’s not often there’s an elite coach both available and interested. He may still prefer the Chargers gig due to Justin Herbert, but he’s close with Mark Davis having been on the Raiders staff in Oakland way back, his wife is from Vegas and you don’t pay any state tax in Nevada…

If he does go to LA (or indeed stay in Michigan) I would be fine with Pierce getting the job.

ETA - two examples of the types of tweet we’re going to see a lot of in the next couple of weeks. “Insider” accounts making speculative posts as if they know anything:

They even used the same cover picture for their tweets.

Just like the media anywhere, they'll throw darts all over the place and if one hits the target they'll be shouting "we told you first!!!"

33 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

In the least surprising Black Monday of all time, Ron Rivera has been fired.

Panthers GM gone as well.

Rivera is one of the good guys, but he's made no noticeable improvements in Washington. Doesn't help when you trade two of your best defenders away mid season tbf.

1 minute ago, peasy23 said:

Rivera is one of the good guys, but he's made no noticeable improvements in Washington. Doesn't help when you trade two of your best defenders away mid season tbf.

He probably only lasted so long because there was so much turmoil going on off the field with Snyder and all the scandal involved in that, plus all the business with the name/team identity.

He was dealt a terrible hand really. If he wants to keep coaching then someone could be getting a great DC.

Pierce has never even been a co-ordinator in the league. I'd be stunned if he got offered a HC job anywhere other than Vegas and even there I'd be surprised if he got it.

Harbaugh would be, by a distance, my #1 choice for the Chargers.

At least I've heard of this guy before... but sounds like another team climbing aboard the Harbaugh bandwagon.

The Commanders can certainly outspend the Raiders or Chargers now, but I don't think there's any "connection" there like there is between JH and the two AFC West teams.

This is going to be a long couple of weeks of teams/agents/media back & forth.

2 hours ago, peasy23 said:

I liked Rivera as DC in SD. Ted Washington took over Wade Phillips 3/4 that was impossible to run on and ate QB's alive in the pocket, and tried to run it as a passive zone bend-but-don't-break. He got fired mid-season, Rivera, who was LB's coach at the time, took over, and it went straight back to the sort of D Phillips had been running.

I think he's a good, competent DC, just never been convinced he's really HC material.