Coaching Carousel 2024

lichtie23

On 09/01/2024 at 17:30, Nightmare said:

In saying that, I’ve just seen that they’ve also requested Patrick Graham (Raiders DC) and Raheem Morris (Rams DC) - they definitely didn’t need to do all of those if they were only looking to fulfil the RR. They’ve also requested to interview Dan Quinn so that’s 4 DCs.

Strange for a team who you would imagine should be really looking at an offensive minded guy to pair with Herbert.

Just putting it out there that Staley was a defensive minded coach too.

With a player like Justin Herbert, the Chargers need to be coming up with lots of inventive plays and more importantly talented targets for him to throw to.

I think he could be an elite QB, but in the right setup with the right HC. Playing in a Staley team where losing became a bit of a habit definitely stunted him this season, to the eye anyway.

Edited by BukyOHare

On 09/01/2024 at 18:21, Nightmare said:

This feels like a mistake. Maybe Titans fans will disagree but I feel like he did well and overachieved with mediocre rosters.

A big surprise. Players seem to really like playing for him and in any sport that's half the battle. Losing AJ Brown on draft day must've been a sore one to take whatever way you carve it up and apparently the new GM and him didn't see eye to eye either.

I hope he comes to New England.

3 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

With a player like Justin Herbert, the Chargers need to be coming up lots of incentive plays and talented targets for him to throw to.

I think he could be an elite QB, but in the right setup with the right HC. Playing in a Staley team where losing became a bit of a habit definitely stunted HIM, to the eye anyway.

Yeah, that’s kinda my point. After a failed DC hire, the Chargers really should be pairing Herbert with an offensive HC rather than another defensive guy.

1 minute ago, Nightmare said:

Yeah, that’s kinda my point. After a failed DC hire, the Chargers really should be pairing Herbert with an offensive HC rather than another defensive guy.

Couldn't agree more though the likes of McDaniels, Shanahans, McVays and Siriannis all seem to have periods of overthinking things and possibly to an extent, get "found out".

1 hour ago, BukyOHare said:

With a player like Justin Herbert, the Chargers need to be coming up with lots of inventive plays and more importantly talented targets for him to throw to.

I think he could be an elite QB, but in the right setup with the right HC. Playing in a Staley team where losing became a bit of a habit definitely stunted him this season, to the eye anyway.

The Chargers are interviewing half the coaches in the league, so it seems. I don't have any issue with that approach because it's a great opportunity to pick the brains of, and garner opinions of people you wouldn't normally be permitted to talk to in such depth.

Chargers O has never really helped Herbert outside of his rookie year tbh. Lombardi's scheme is totally dink n dunk and doesn't utilise his arm talent, he was playing hurt most of last season, then again this, so even the change to Kellen Moore didn't really open the O up any. They don't really have the outside weapons to exploit Herbert's arm strength and outstanding deep ball accuracy anyway. In 2020 they had a fit and healthy Jalen Guyton and Tyron Johnson who both had the legs to get behind D's regularly, so Herbert was chucking bombs left and right and connecting on most of them. Johnson had attitude problems and wasn't kept for 2021, Guyton's injury early last season has wrecked his deep wheels and he won't be back in 2024. Mike Williams can't stay healthy and isn't a take-the-top-off WR anyway, being that most of his deep catches come on jump-balls. Quentin Johnston's struggles are well documented, but there are wee signs over the last month of the season that he might be starting to get to grips with playing NFL WR to an extent, so there's hope he could turn into something yet. What I find interesting is that QJ was hyped as a big YAC threat even while it was being acknowledged that his hands weren't the greatest and he lacked polish in other areas, yet while Staley was still HC there was no apparent attempt to get the ball into his hands on simple stuff like WR screens, digs, jet sweeps etc, and they were even running that sort of stuff to MW and the other WR's. After Staley was punted they way they were integrating QJ changed a little bit and made a bit more sense.

An Offensive-minded HC should help Herbert a lot, but they also need to work on the roster to enable more down-field stuff to be used to exploit his arm, and the playcalling needs to change a bit to open the offense up. There were a few murmurs after the firing that Staley's control-freakery extended into tampering with, and limiting offensive gameplans, so that might explain why the O that Moore was supposedly bringing failed to materialise. Herbert needs to be kept healthy as well, and there were times this season where the OL just weren't giving him any sort of time to look down the field at all. Losing Corey Linsley really early on was a massive blow. The interior OL was horrendous from week 4 onwards, largely because neither of the young OG's could figure out the stunts and where the blitzes were coming from, and the guy playing between them was terrible and offered no help. They need to find a C in the draft because the FA crop is mediocre.

10 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

The Chargers are interviewing half the coaches in the league, so it seems. I don't have any issue with that approach because it's a great opportunity to pick the brains of, and garner opinions of people you wouldn't normally be permitted to talk to in such depth.

Chargers O has never really helped Herbert outside of his rookie year tbh. Lombardi's scheme is totally dink n dunk and doesn't utilise his arm talent, he was playing hurt most of last season, then again this, so even the change to Kellen Moore didn't really open the O up any. They don't really have the outside weapons to exploit Herbert's arm strength and outstanding deep ball accuracy anyway. In 2020 they had a fit and healthy Jalen Guyton and Tyron Johnson who both had the legs to get behind D's regularly, so Herbert was chucking bombs left and right and connecting on most of them. Johnson had attitude problems and wasn't kept for 2021, Guyton's injury early last season has wrecked his deep wheels and he won't be back in 2024. Mike Williams can't stay healthy and isn't a take-the-top-off WR anyway, being that most of his deep catches come on jump-balls. Quentin Johnston's struggles are well documented, but there are wee signs over the last month of the season that he might be starting to get to grips with playing NFL WR to an extent, so there's hope he could turn into something yet. What I find interesting is that QJ was hyped as a big YAC threat even while it was being acknowledged that his hands weren't the greatest and he lacked polish in other areas, yet while Staley was still HC there was no apparent attempt to get the ball into his hands on simple stuff like WR screens, digs, jet sweeps etc, and they were even running that sort of stuff to MW and the other WR's. After Staley was punted they way they were integrating QJ changed a little bit and made a bit more sense.

An Offensive-minded HC should help Herbert a lot, but they also need to work on the roster to enable more down-field stuff to be used to exploit his arm, and the playcalling needs to change a bit to open the offense up. There were a few murmurs after the firing that Staley's control-freakery extended into tampering with, and limiting offensive gameplans, so that might explain why the O that Moore was supposedly bringing failed to materialise. Herbert needs to be kept healthy as well, and there were times this season where the OL just weren't giving him any sort of time to look down the field at all. Losing Corey Linsley really early on was a massive blow. The interior OL was horrendous from week 4 onwards, largely because neither of the young OG's could figure out the stunts and where the blitzes were coming from, and the guy playing between them was terrible and offered no help. They need to find a C in the draft because the FA crop is mediocre.

Throw in the over reliance on Keenan Allen and the apparent drop off of Ekeler, they all impact Herbert's effectiveness and progress.

Rightly or wrongly I've always associated the Chargers with decent tight ends as well which most QBs benefit from having as an effective receiving option.

Especially those like Herbert who don't rely on their rushing ability.

Edited by BukyOHare

2 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Throw in the over reliance on Keenan Allen and the apparent drop off of Ekeler, they all impact Herbert's effectiveness and progress.

Rightly or wrongly I've always associated the Chargers with decent tight ends as well which most QBs benefit from having as an effective receiving option.

Especially those like Herbert who don't rely on their rushing ability.

Why I think they have to take Nabers if he's sitting there at #5

Herbert needs a genuine #1 style WR. Keenan Allen is undoubtedly #1 level talent, but he's an atypical #1 because he doesn't really pose the threat to go in behind defenses that most genuine #1's do. I've never been a fan of drafting WR's high, but Nabers is the sort of talent who would be #1 WR off the board in most years, and it's only because of MHJ he's being overlooked a bit. The fact they took QJ last year shouldn't be a bar to going WR again, because the coaching and GM regime that drafted him is gone, teams play with more than one WR on the field 99% of the time, Mike Williams is likely being cut, KA will turn 32 even if he's restructured and comes back, and Josh Palmer's contract is up after 2024.

Classless statement from the Seahawks IMHO….

"After thoughtful meetings and careful consideration for the best interest of the franchise, we have amicably agreed with Pete Carroll that his role will evolve from Head Coach to remain with the organization as an advisor," owner Jody Allen said in a statement on Wednesday. "Pete is the winningest coach in Seahawks history, brought the city its first Super Bowl title, got Denver to take Wilson off our hands in a deal that still sees us pish our breeks every time we think about it, and created a tremendous impact over the past 14 years on the field and in the community.

"His expertise in leadership and building a championship culture will continue as an integral part of our organization moving forward.

"Pete will always be a beloved member of the Seahawks family."

12 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Why I think they have to take Nabers if he's sitting there at #5

Herbert needs a genuine #1 style WR. Keenan Allen is undoubtedly #1 level talent, but he's an atypical #1 because he doesn't really pose the threat to go in behind defenses that most genuine #1's do. I've never been a fan of drafting WR's high, but Nabers is the sort of talent who would be #1 WR off the board in most years, and it's only because of MHJ he's being overlooked a bit. The fact they took QJ last year shouldn't be a bar to going WR again, because the coaching and GM regime that drafted him is gone, teams play with more than one WR on the field 99% of the time, Mike Williams is likely being cut, KA will turn 32 even if he's restructured and comes back, and Josh Palmer's contract is up after 2024.

Would you draft up to get Harrison jnr, hope that Odunze is still there or stick with Nabers?

3 hours ago, BukyOHare said:

Would you draft up to get Harrison jnr, hope that Odunze is still there or stick with Nabers?

Chargers are not in a position to be trading up. Too many holes. MHJ looks to be a generational talent, but Nabers is still the sort of guy who would be #1 WR in 95% of drafts.

Had Matt Prater made that last gasp kick on Sunday then the Chargers would be picking #4 ahead of Arizona. Even if it's QB's 1, 2, &3, MHJ won't make it past the Cardinals at #4. The Chargers only shot at MHJ was to be picking 4th at the very least, and even then I think there's a chance MHJ goes before pick 4 if Washington decides to stick with Howell, the Bears stick with Fields and don't trade #1. MHJ is, in my opinion, the #1 talent in the draft class, ahead of Williams, ahead of Maye.

Complete radio silence from Atlanta. Not a single interview request yet. Either old Arthur Blank has fell down the stairs and is still lying trying to crawl to the landline, or we have someone in mind and are just waiting until they’re free.

As is the case in football, the longer these things go without a credible rumour, the more wild the names get. Kirby Smart the latest god awful suggestion.

With Atlanta's skill position players you'd think they'd be all over Ben Johnson. Lack of a top tier QB shouldn't put them off because he's worked wonders with Jared Goff, and they should be in a position to land one in the upcoming draft if they really want a new guy.

Bill Belichick leaving NE.

Not unexpected, but still a big deal.

Got to imagine that’s the final HC domino fallen now. Vrabel or Mayo to take over there seem like strong possibilities, but the bigger question is where does BB land?