Coaching Carousel 2024

lichtie23

On 17/01/2024 at 09:03, peasy23 said:

I get the importance of your QB1, I've literally watched the sublime to the ridiculous in San Francisco from Montana and Young to Beathard and Hoyer. Some teams though seem to be terrified to say no when guys are asking to be paid. Lamar is at least winning games at the moment, but how someone like Daniel Jones managed to get a $160 million contract is beyond me.

Doesn't seem that long ago that the Niners gave Jimmy G a £35 (?) million dollar a year deal :o 

13 hours ago, peasy23 said:

McCarthy apparently safe.

A Jerry Jones vote of confidence is hardly reassuring, however, the ‘Boys are entering a truly messy period of restructuring. Their current contracts put them a wee bit over the cap for 2024, despite almost $5 million carryover credit from this year. Dak would be $59.4 million in dead money if they parted ways with him for next season, which would move their cap overage from the $20-25 million range to the $45-50 million range. So that leaves the ‘Boys sticking with Dak for another year, and likely that influenced the decision on McCarthy (who has one year left too). As a bonus, the ‘Boys cannot tag Dak for 2025, also due to his contract.

The most likely action by Jerry will be taking old yello (Dan Quinn) out behind the woodshed and putting a bullet in him if he doesn’t get picked for one of the HC roles he’s interviewing for. It’s typical Cowboys to see they will likely blame an NFL hot commodity for their failure, and not the real reason, Darth Jones.

24 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Not particularly concerned, because it's been clear for nearly a month exactly who the Chargers are desperate to hire. 

Can't say the same for the GM role. They seems to be interviewing everyone and anyone, and I genuinely think this could be a weird case of the HC being brought in first, then a GM to follow on afterwards.

19 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Brian Callahan, the Bengals OC, is to be the next Titans HC.

Who he?

Yeah, I was a bit surprised at Callahan garnering so many interviews. Bengals O is efficient enough, but I think that's as much about having been sucky enough for years to have drafted Burrow and Chase, and I've never seen them do anything particularly innovative or exciting. 

Seems competent enough, but I can only assume he's interviewed really well and the Titans don't fancy gambling by waiting around on Ben Johnson.

Strange appointment. The Raiders seem to love an Anthony Lynn era Chargers cast-off. Gus Bradley, Darius Philon, Brandon Facyson, Tyrell Williams, Casey Heyward, Denzel Perryman, Tyron Johnson, Jerry Tillery, and now this. Genuinely confused about what they think they are getting with Telesco.

On 23/01/2024 at 12:09, johnnydun said:

Brian Callahan, the Bengals OC, is to be the next Titans HC.

Who he?

He is the Bengals OC, please keep up! 😉

Edited by Swarley

Fangio gone as Miami DC. Sounds like a lot of senior players were unhappy with his ways according to sources referencing feedback from player exit interviews and such like.

Got the impression he never really wanted to be there in the first place. 

I suspect a younger player-development focussed coach would be a better fit with McDaniel. VF had some stubborn personnel decisions, refused to play 2nd round CB Cam Smith (started Eli Apple ffs), healthy scratch Ogbah, left Chubb in 4th quarter lost cause resulting in ACL. 

Didn’t live up to stellar expectations tbh.

19 minutes ago, Snobot said:

Fangio gone as Miami DC. Sounds like a lot of senior players were unhappy with his ways according to sources referencing feedback from player exit interviews and such like.

Got the impression he never really wanted to be there in the first place. 

I suspect a younger player-development focussed coach would be a better fit with McDaniel. VF had some stubborn personnel decisions, refused to play 2nd round CB Cam Smith (started Eli Apple ffs), healthy scratch Ogbah, left Chubb in 4th quarter lost cause resulting in ACL. 

Didn’t live up to stellar expectations tbh.

Fangio is expected to go to the Eagles

Ugh. Was hoping Spanos would cheap out on hiring a real HC, but he’s finally actually hired a good one.

Chargers will never have a better chance to shed their image of being that low mentality, letdown kind of team.

The past month+ has been a fun time to be a Chargers fan. Staley punted, Telesco punted, they didn't screw up the tank with an idiot W, saw the process through and hired the guy 90%+ of the fans want as HC, and to top it off, Telesco is now a Raider.

Funniest thing I've read in the past 24 hours is the Dolphins seemingly weighing up interviewing Staley for the DC job. I can't understand that when they ran Vic Fangio out of town, and Staley is basically a Fangio clone but 2nd rate. It's like deciding you need to go after a Mahomes-like freestyling QB, and trading for Carson Wentz.