Coaching Carousel 2024

lichtie23

2 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Looks like Antonio Pierce is getting the Raiders job 

Saw a few tweets about that this morning. We’re going to hire a GM first and haven’t even interviewed a single person for the HC post yet, so this seems very presumptive media reporting.

Pierce can’t just be appointed without following the Rooney Rule process (there’s a certain irony behind that) and the Raiders haven’t even attempted to meet the criteria yet.

6 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Interviewing Belichick? :lol: I wonder how that went.

"Are you Bill Belichick?"
"Yes."
"Thanks for coming in Bill. The job is yours." 

Edited by RiG

18 hours ago, peasy23 said:

After the Eagles and Cowboys massive bed shittings, could Daboll be the only NFC East coach to come back next year?

McCarthy seems a very likely departure, with Sirianni a 50/50.

Some of the stuff coming out about Daboll recently doesn’t make for great reading either. He won’t lose his job, but I think he might be on much shorter leash going into next season after the reports/leaks the other day about him essentially being a massive dickhead on the sidelines all year.

11 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Some of the stuff coming out about Daboll recently doesn’t make for great reading either. He won’t lose his job, but I think he might be on much shorter leash going into next season after the reports/leaks the other day about him essentially being a massive dickhead on the sidelines all year.

That’s the reason Wink Martindale is away 

Daboll's a curious one because he kinda made a rod for his own back by making an unexpected playoff appearance in year one with a starting QB that most people thought would probably have been shown the door at the end of the year. It put them in a position where they really had to re-sign the QB, and he reverted to type, and it built expectations that were, in hindsight, probably unrealistic for this season.

I've always thought you can generally get the jist of an HC after two years. Sometimes it's a bit sooner, but with Daboll I think he really needs another year before you can evaluate him properly, although NY having another 5-7 win season shouldn't necessarily be the only thing that decides whether he stays or goes.

Edited by Boo Khaki

50 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

If the Cowboys had lost narrowly then McCarthy would probably have been safe, but to be 27-0 down at home in the second quarter against the 7th seed? Can't see him surviving that, especially with previous Cowboys playoff failures.

The Philly public certainly seem to have turned on Siriani.

I can totally understand the anger at McCarthy and why he's being questioned, but then if you are going to kick him out of the door because of that playoff farce, you also have to have a conversation about Dak Prescott, who was also completely awful on Sunday.

The talk about McCarthy is "racking up regular season wins, shite come playoff time". Well how exactly is that any different from the QB?

2 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

I can totally understand the anger at McCarthy and why he's being questioned, but then if you are going to kick him out of the door because of that playoff farce, you also have to have a conversation about Dak Prescott, who was also completely awful on Sunday.

The talk about McCarthy is "racking up regular season wins, shite come playoff time". Well how exactly is that any different from the QB?

Definitely a fair comment, Dak has certainly been culpable of looking like a rabbit in the headlights at times, not helped by the massive pressure that his owner puts on the team. At least one player has broke ranks and slipped a few comments to the press. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news/cowboys-bombshell-dak-prescott-panics-dallas-coach-mike-mccarthy-stubborn-anonymous-trust-source

The pressure is definitely unhelpful, but then that will always come with QB'ing one of the highest profile, most scrutinised franchises there is, and for all his positive attributes, if that really is what cripples Dak come crunch time, then perhaps you just have to admit Dak Prescott isn't the right QB for the Dallas Cowboys.

I think this is part of the problem with the "next guy due" nature of the biggest NFL contracts. I always had nagging doubts about Dak and certainly didn't think he deserved to be paid like an elite QB, but at the same time, I can totally understand why teams won't walk away from these guys without an obvious in-house replacement, and cave-in and pay them. 

Not exactly the same scenario, but the Giants now look a bit foolish for paying DJ, Seattle is kinda stuck with Geno for a while, and there's forever been a debate about whether Kirk Cousins is truly elite or whether he should be run out of town at the earliest opportunity. It's all a bit strange that you can apparently be paid like the best player in your position without ever having proven that you are, purely because of the position you play. I think there is far more doubt about Justin Herbert right now than there was after his first two seasons in the NFL, Burrow is beginning to look like he could go the way of Andrew Luck after everyone proclaiming that no, the Bengals ignoring OL in order to draft Chase and Co was the correct thing to do all along, Tua has question marks relating to health and big game performance right on the cusp of when you'd normally expect an extension, the Hurts extension was extremely questionable at the time and now looks like an act of insanity, and I thought Seattle was daft when they made Wilson the highest paid QB in the NFL at the time given that he was nowhere near the pure passer of some of his peers, but then Denver went out and gave him an even more ridiculous contract after there were already serious hints he was on the decline. 

I still think the Ravens were wrong to give Lamar that money and over the long term they will regret it, but that just seems to be the way of things in the NFL now. IF you have a guy who isn't a complete donkey, he sticks his hand out and demands #1 money and invariably gets it. 

Edited by Boo Khaki

5 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

The pressure is definitely unhelpful, but then that will always come with QB'ing one of the highest profile, most scrutinised franchises there is, and for all his positive attributes, if that really is what cripples Dak come crunch time, then perhaps you just have to admit Dak Prescott isn't the right QB for the Dallas Cowboys.

I think this is part of the problem with the "next guy due" nature of the biggest NFL contracts. I always had nagging doubts about Dak and certainly didn't think he deserved to be paid like an elite QB, but at the same time, I can totally understand why teams won't walk away from these guys without an obvious in-house replacement, and cave-in and pay them. 

Not exactly the same scenario, but the Giants now look a bit foolish for paying DJ, Seattle is kinda stuck with Geno for a while, and there's forever been a debate about whether Kirk Cousins is truly elite or whether he should be run out of town at the earliest opportunity. It's all a bit strange that you can apparently be paid like the best player in your position without ever having proven that you are, purely because of the position you play. I think there is far more doubt about Justin Herbert right now than there was after his first two seasons in the NFL, Burrow is beginning to look like he could go the way of Andrew Luck after everyone proclaiming that no, the Bengals ignoring OL in order to draft Chase and Co was the correct thing to do all along, Tua has question marks relating to health and big game performance right on the cusp of when you'd normally expect an extension, the Hurts extension was extremely questionable at the time and now looks like an act of insanity, and I thought Seattle was daft when they made Wilson the highest paid QB in the NFL at the time given that he was nowhere near the pure passer of some of his peers, but then Denver went out and gave him an even more ridiculous contract after there were already serious hints he was on the decline. 

I still think the Ravens were wrong to give Lamar that money and over the long term they will regret it, but that just seems to be the way of things in the NFL now. IF you have a guy who isn't a complete donkey, he sticks his hand out and demands #1 money and invariably gets it. 

I get the importance of your QB1, I've literally watched the sublime to the ridiculous in San Francisco from Montana and Young to Beathard and Hoyer. Some teams though seem to be terrified to say no when guys are asking to be paid. Lamar is at least winning games at the moment, but how someone like Daniel Jones managed to get a $160 million contract is beyond me.

I think after the hullaballoo about ridiculous Rookie contracts was ironed out a few CBA's ago, QB contracts will be the next issue the owners will try to tone down via the next CBA.

I also think it's entirely fair that as revenues and the Cap continue to rise players absolutely should see the benefit of that, but you have to step back and say that some of these QB's simply are not worth the risk that a $250million contract represents. I don't mean that just in terms of current ability, but what it does to the franchise if the guy doesn't quite live up to it. It's a huge amount of money to have dedicated to one player on a roster of 50+, and I don't think it will really become apparent just how nuts it is until one of these teams gives a guy 50-60 million a year guaranteed and he immediately suffers a career-limiting injury or illness. I suppose we're kinda seeing it to an extent with Deshaun Watson.

I get why teams are prepared to gamble on "maybes", but you also have to think the owners will be getting increasingly antsy about it. Teams are obviously responsible for their own Cap decisions, and I'm in no way excusing poor Cap management, but we currently have a situation that is clearly unsustainable. The Chargers are hilarious. If they just stood pat and did nothing this off-season, and let their projected contracts play out, they'd have something like 65% of their ENTIRE cap budget wrapped up in 6 players. Mack, Herbert, Bosa, Allen, Williams, and James. Absolute nonsense that they can even do this to begin with, but it isn't anything more than a consequence of paying players the "market value" that they demand come contract time. They haven't even extended Rashawn Slater yet, so it's a given I think that at least two, and likely three or four of the aforementioned names will be getting the boot from LA this off-season. Why? because they've been paid they way the NFLPA maintains they have a right to be paid. Yep, but they are going to have those contracts torn up, and functionally become unemployed, so is that really a common sense way to look after your union members? Given Bosa and Williams respective injury histories, I wouldn't be so certain that they can realistically go chasing big money as FA's either, so are these back-loaded contracts really in the interest of the player anyway?

Edited by Boo Khaki