The halfway (or slightly beyond) report..

So now everyone had played 18 or 19 games, and we can see a division in the table.

Raith Rovers and DU 9+ points clear at the top, both on track to easily exceed the average winning points total of the past 30 years since fitba switched to 3 points for the win. on average, 74 points takes first, and anything 66 or above takes first 50% of the time. Highest second place has been 72, but RR and DU are both on track to top 80.

Patrick Thistle are pretty comfortably in third, with 32, and on track to hit 60 points, which should keep third (average 59).

Airdrie, the Pars and Morton are all grouped at 24-22 points, but each on track for about 10 points less than the normal needed for fourth (56).

Ayr, ICT and Arbroath are likewise grouped at 19-17 points, and on track for 38-34 points, which normally assures at least ninth (34), with 39 normally taking eighth.

Queen's Park are in trouble off the bottom at 14, and would likely need at least 21 points in the last 18 matches to get out of 10th.

It's been a pretty up and down season for all but the top three, what surprises and disappointments have you seen so far?

Surprise: Raith Rovers performing at the level they have, and somehow banging out points in the most ludicrous fashion.

Surprise: Dundee United has performed pretty much like expected, but somehow are in second. I suspect most DU fans would have taken 12/5/1 after 18 games at the start of the season.

Disappointment: Arbroath's fall to earth, and Dick's departure.

Disappointment: Queen's Park and their ongoing melodrama. I guess Lesser Hampden will work in League One, but will they ever play there?

December was always going to be massive for us as injuries began to clear up and we faced the other teams in the bottom half of the table. The summer recruitment was risky, bringing older players such as Broadfoot and Power in. In the first quarter they both looked absolutely done, but they've adapted and have both fit form at exactly the right time. We've stopped conceding goals, our midfield has gelled and we've got quality at the top end of the pitch. Strapp returning was an unexpected signing, but he's been imperious. 

We're by no means in the clear when it comes to the relegation battle, but I'm reasonably confident there will be at least two teams who are worse than us between now and the end of the season. If we can keep Strapp I'd consider us an outsider for 4th place, but if we have another run of injuries then we could be struggling as badly as we did in the first quarter. 

We've overperformed, no doubt about it. To be sitting 4th at the halfway point on our return after a decade and with easily the smallest FT budget in the league by quite a way is a great achievement. I'm well aware that a couple of bad results or a run of injuries to our paper thin squad can turn it all on its head, but so far so good. 

We’re absolutely fine, especially considering the financial difficulties expressed at the start of the season. Positionally, most fans would have taken 3rd or 4th, and that’s probably where our squad lines up and deserves but it’s still no guarantee. We’re not much better than the others.

We score a lot and concede a ridiculous amount (many of which are individual errors), and whilst there have been missed opportunities against other clubs, our inability to get a result against Raith or United will ultimately be our downfall if that’s where we want to be.

Play-offs again and see what happens, but we’ve ultimately got a worse squad than last, and we’d be even more underprepared if we actually went up this year. I don’t think many people’s opinions will have changed much in the last four months.

Got to be happy with our first half of the season, 8th is the target and we're on course for that although as @cb_diamondsays a long way to go. I've confidence in our manager though as he seems able to weather periods of bad form and adapt. 

In terms of surprises, from our perspective I thought it would be our defence that would struggle to make the step up but its been going forward we've had trouble. With other teams surprising to see QP bottom as I would have thought they would have had the resources to challenge for a playoff at the other end.

🤷‍♂️ very average really,  only avoided defeat vs the top 3 once, only been beaten by the rest once.  We've had a crap load of injuries which doesn't help.  Think we'll be ok so long as we continue to avoid having any sustained poor spells, flip side not sure if we can do enough business to make top four likely but we have a chance.  probably the most meaningless year to take that spot.  I'll be very shocked if whoever gets it wins a tie nevermind 3.

A few bright spots dotted around but some large dark blots on our season so far.

Defeated four times by Raith Rovers - so far! - and can only really claim to have been unfortunate to lose one of those games.

Performances at home to Ayr and away to Thistle were the worst of McPake’s reign.

The never-ending injuries have prevented the team from gaining any sort of momentum; we’ve not once come close to having our best XI on the park at the same time.

The performance at Tannadice at the start of the season was impressive, as was the home win against Morton. We were apparently good at Airdrie as well but I missed that one.

We have a period coming up where we need to pick up a few wins. Between now and mid February we play QP twice, as well as home matches against Airdrie, Morton and Arbroath. A spell which should see us banish any concerns of the bottom two or cause some to start reaching for the panic button.

On the face of it, the team that finished 2nd in the league last year currently stinking up the place in 7th with 19 points would be a surprise, however anyone who paid any attention last year could see that we were laughably reliant on the goals of one man alone.

As above, we are shite. 

I feel the Rovers are unlucky that it is Dundee Utd in the Champ this season.  If it was any of the previous 3 seasons, we would be walking away with the title in our sights.  We will probably end up the record for highest 2nd place points, as DU will splash the cash to strengthen this month on higher quality and waged signings.  

I have been taken away on a cloud myself for a while as we have been doing so well, that we might just do this, BUT after the last 3 games I have lowered my expectations to us being 2nd and into the playoff semi.   Whether it will be enough for us to go up time will tell.  

We are way ahead of our 5 year schedule for promotion, and whether its a good thing or not remains to be seen.  Our pitch is going to be a problem, as we will get 1 or 2 years leeway with it in the greedleague.  To put in a new grass pitch is going to be around £300,000 which means less for players.  Also means lost revenue from the pitch hire.  Mr Sim won't like that.  Conflict on the horizon.  Pity too, as our pitch is the best artificial surface in Scotland due to us accidentally buying a rugby class pitch which is softer and more natural feeling!
We need to sort out our defence too.  To be scoring several goals in a game to be constantly pulled back level and either drawing or having to score when my tea is ready is not a good thing!  My heart canny take it, and we will not do it every time inevitably meaning losing ground.

Overall though, I am very happy with the way my club is being run and our position we are in right now.  I thought we would end up 3rd or 4th.

As to the rest of the league, the Pars are doing better than I expected as they just came up.  Airdrie were too, but have fallen away a bit.  Airdrie are the best footballing side I have seen in the Champ this season though.  Ayr surprise me as they are struggling.  QP, not surprised they are struggling, as it seems to happen to previous nearly men.  Partick will finish in the playoffs, as will Dunfermline I think after they recover from injury and get a few better quality players in this month.

Otherwise, Champ is the 'usual' for me.

Average. Management team been dealt a pretty shit hand in terms of recurring injuries to key players which is making it hard to make a fair assessment. Glimpses of a team well capable of challenging in the play-offs but more often than not, team have been under-whelming. At this stage, it's really just about staying clear of any relegation battle and trying to build momentum into the summer with the hope of building for a better season next year. Really important month coming up.

Main criticism would be that we're pretty passive - build up is pretty slow, we rarely impose ourselves on games and there's rarely an edge to our play. Often feel it's like watching boys playing men.

Overall, I'm reasonably happy given the injury situation - objective at start of season was to avoid any relegation battle and we're meeting that benchmark so far. Lot of work to do still, whether it's getting clear of the drop zone or trying to build momentum into the close season for what will now be a very important next season.

ETA: Been most impressed with Rovers this year - been a marked change in the club both on and off the field and the number of goals and points picked up in late stages is incredible. Total respect and despite the rivalry, I'm all-in on any Fife teams doing well. United been under-whelming in my opinion and could be a rough couple of months for them as the pressure builds not to f**k it up - once they lose momentum and/or Goodwin loses the fans, that could get pretty uncomfortable for Arabs. Rest of the league - meh!

Edited by AuldReekie

It's very obviously been a disaster so far due to our squad being built on sheer arrogance, but the fact that we haven't won a game since mid-August and would only really need to string 2/3 wins together for things to start looking up is hilarious.

Still think we'll finish 10th though. I have zero faith in the club to appoint the right manager or bring in the players we need to make a go of it in the second half of the season.

For Arbroath, the biggest thing is the departure of our management team after so many years.  Its sad that he wasn't able to turn things around, as he'll always be a legend for us, but if anything, his departure came at least 6 months too late.  He really should have called it a day last season.

As it is, we were left with a very good squad, but a horrendously unbalanced one.  Players like Bird, Hylton and Norey showed the benefits of looking at trialists, while signings like Steele and Slater were good established part time signings.  Our recruitment was mostly very good, although who knew that not having a single covering defender would come back to haunt us?

The football in the early part of the season was a mess.  Some really good performances, some utter shambles, some evidence of hope, some total despair.  The overriding feeling I had was that the players didn't seem to know their jobs, and we seemed prone to total defensive collapses.  We have also had an ongoing defensive crisis all season, resulting in us having to play people out of position and rush others back before they are ready.  Its felt like we are operating in crisis mode since September, and its totally self inflicted because we made the decision to sign one defender, when we needed 3.  

Since we got McIntyre in, I've noticed a marked improvement in performances.  Our players are organised again, and seem to know their jobs.  Even players who are filling in out of position seem to be better at playing those roles, and we actually look like a team.  Its better to watch, and we seem to be trying to play better football.  We are now getting more out of our players.  McIntyre surely didnt expect things to be as much of a mess as they are, but he's making the best of a bad situation.  If we can sign a couple defenders and get a couple of loans in, then we should be able to sort this mess out, rest the players who need rested, let the walking wounded get back to fitness, and kick on.  The fact that we are still picking up points is very much a positive.

We are not any worse than any other non Dundee United team in the league, on our day, we can beat anyone, and this is reflected in a very tight league table.  We are very much bunched up in a pack, and could still finish anywhere from the playoffs to dead last.  There isn't a banter team in the league to spare everyone's blushes this season. I do feel quite optimistic though, I think we have a decent squad, a decent manager, have picked up some decent results.  I feel much more confident than I was last season.

We're really toiling. The aim for us right now has the feel of riding it out till the summer hoping that we pick up enough points to avoid the drop, at which point we will probably see Bullen leave and a new manager installed.

Considering the fact that we finished 2nd last time round, and we are apparently operating with a much improved budget (to be expected with the 2nd finish and the Dipo money), it's been a bit of a shitshow.

A lot of us are starting to get very concerned.

Raith have surprised me. Not in the fact that they're up the right end of the table (they recruited quite well in the summer) but that they've been able to pick up just so many wins, especially the late goals aspect. Fair play.

Dundee Utd pretty much as expected. Last time they were down there were teams that you could rightly expect to be fellow challengers for the title from the off and it didn't go very well for them initially. This time round they've pretty much looked like a team that will win a title from the start. Although Raith may still throw a spanner on the works.

There was a lot made of Partick's issues off the pitch before a baw was kicked but they're doing grand considering all that. Bit of a surprise there, but I suspect that the off-field issues were being somewhat exaggerated in the media.

Airdrie, Dunfermline and Morton are pretty much as expected for me. Each may have a shot at the playoffs. The newly promoted teams don't usually end up in relegation danger in their first season (Cove Rangers aside). Pars can probably feel quite disappointed, they've never really impressed me but there is enough shite below them that I don't think they'll get drawn in to the battle at the bottom. Airdrie likewise will probably be okay, although I'd imagine any serious play-off push would be dependent on finding ways to score more goals. Morton have a limited squad but one that seems to be capable enough - with a decent manager who knows how to get the best out of them. These three I don't see having many problems because there is a lot of shite below them.

Ayr are toiling just now. Our run of league fixtures is Inverness, Arbroath home and away and then Queens Park. So the results here will go a long way to seeing how the bottom will look imo. Overall, as mentioned, just a really disappointing miserable season so far.

Inverness had a new manager bounce for a while but that appears to have maybe worn off and they are still right in about it at the bottom end. Bit of a surprise there for me. Ayr, Arbroath and QP will be keen to keep them with us.

Arbroath I didn't expect to be pulling up any trees this season. Didn't expect to see Campbell get the sack though. They've had their moments but they're struggling. They have previous for seeing it out though so hard to predict.

Queens Park are a bit of a basket case just now, didn't expect them to drop off just this much. Gives me hope for our own chances of avoiding the drop.

Edited by AuAl

I think the only two teams who would be getting the dreaded "See me after class" scrawled on their report card would be Ayr and Dunfermline.

Relatively speaking, class swot would be Raith.  They've been bringing in an apple for the teacher every the week, the wee nerds.

a464bf1d400d515edec749534cd62f7d.jpg

Raith - Likely winners for me. They’re showing that resilience that you need to win leagues.

Dundee United - Very good team with very good players. I just don’t like Goodwin.

Partick - Been fairly unimpressed but can appreciate their experience in his league. 

Airdrie - We’ve held our own so far and have played well at times. Consistency is key and so are goals. 

Dunfermline - Will be absolutely fine. Good solid team. 

Morton - Thankfully someone told them that they are allowed to pass the ball to each other instead of blasting it out of the park at any opportunity. 

Ayr - I thought they were very good against us. High energy and good players. 

Inverness - honking without Wetherspoon. 

Arbroath - solid team and they know how to stay up. Gave us a lesson in defending. 

Queens Park- DOWN. STAY DOWN BOY.

This thread would quite interesting if I knew who half the posters supported.

For United, we've been better than I expected but I think that's mostly down to the standard of the rest of the league.

I think we'll win the league but not as confident as I was due to Raith's excellent run..I don't agree that we'll splash the cash. I just think we'll keep our form up and Raith will gradually fall away.

Rovers results this season are incredible.  Thirteen one goal wins and nothing bigger must be some kind of record.  QP are the only team in the league not to have won by more than one goal, and they haven’t won a game since August.