Willie Collum; good guy? complete dick? corrupt? / ..and should (Old Firm) clubs "have the power to ban him"?

Two sided poll - Willie Collum's decisions & club control over referees.  

292 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, coprolite said:

But they’ll make mistakes and the explanations won’t always accord with the exact rules or the facts (as established by multiple angle slo mo replays).

Refs will always make mistakes, to err is human, and while it was only at pub league level I've officiated games and I honestly do not have the mental fortitude to do it competently.

3 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Anything less than 100% accuracy with the benefit of hindsight will lead to conspiracy theories anyway. 

I think even with 100% accuracy certain sets of fans will complain anyway. I mean, St Mirren fans are well known for expressing their opinion of decisions made - you might have noticed!

It all comes under "reasonable doubt" doesn't it? We have to aim any "solution" to the broad majority rather than the niche conspiracy nuts.

The "Old Firm" are not trying to pick referees, Rangers are. Collum is a dreadful referee, he didn't check the only real penalty decision at the weekend - the foul on Turnbull wrongly ruled offside and he didn't send Walsh to the VAR monitor for the straight red card Goldson should have been given for the knee high challenge on Bernardo. 

Rangers issue with Collum is that he is a catholic and they despise catholics. Baldemort and his band of losers needed an excuse for yet another derby day walloping and the catholic watching from the van was a convenient scapegoat. It is patently ridiculous that a club who have had one penalty against them in 70 odd games think they are hard done to, I doubt they believe it themselves, but they have to placate the hoards who know little other than their team being battered by Celtic. So, they are playing up to and encouraging the worst elements of their fanbase who see this as the culmination of a wider Papal plot, started by Pope John Paul II's visit to Scotland in 1982. If it leads to violence against Collum, which those at Ibrox must surely know they are encouraging - that is a price worth paying to buy Clement's losers more time in their eyes. 

4 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

But was still the correct decision at the time.

That’s a matter of opinion though like most handballs are. I can see why it was given but that doesn’t mean it was the right decision when there is nothing a player can do about a ball hitting off his arm via a deflection. That’s not a deliberate handball to me. Would other refs have given it? Maybe, maybe not. Just like the Johnson handball, some people say stonewaller, other says natural movement and no penalty. Most of these decisions are controversial.

Another day goes by with the focus not being on Celtic's opener being scored by a player RIGHT IN FRONT OF GOAL from a corner with no opponents anywhere near him, or on Rangers' well-paid striker bottling the f**k out of a one-on-one (almost visibly shiting himself), or on their expensive signing from down south getting his arse handed to him before being hooked in humiliation.

Rangers PR Dept 1-0 Reality.

This thread is a prime example of the standard referees are setting on Scottish football. About 7/8 different referees have been named by fans of various clubs as being “the worst” or “just as bad”. Collum along with them isn’t biased at all, he’s just inconsistent and prone to some mistakes (as are all humans). Now I’m not sticking up for him, since he is an arrogant referee on the pitch and his handling of incidents does lead to issues, that’s what needs to be looked at by the SFA; however Rangers have absolutely no right to demand anything and the narrative that they’re hard done by can be disproven by 41 other clubs in Scotland. They should be getting hammered by the SFA for bringing the game and the referees into disrepute and frankly this is the sort of shite that lead to them striking previously.  

As I say, Collum is a poor referee, but then if he is, they all are which is the biggest issue.

1 minute ago, Widge said:

This thread is a prime example of the standard referees are setting on Scottish football. About 7/8 different referees have been named by fans of various clubs as being “the worst” or “just as bad”. Collum along with them isn’t biased at all, he’s just inconsistent and prone to some mistakes (as are all humans). Now I’m not sticking up for him, since he is an arrogant referee on the pitch and his handling of incidents does lead to issues, that’s what needs to be looked at by the SFA; however Rangers have absolutely no right to demand anything and the narrative that they’re hard done by can be disproven by 41 other clubs in Scotland. They should be getting hammered by the SFA for bringing the game and the referees into disrepute and frankly this is the sort of shite that lead to them striking previously.  

As I say, Collum is a poor referee, but then if he is, they all are which is the biggest issue.

100% THIS! 

1 minute ago, VincentGuerin said:

Another day goes by with the focus not being on Celtic's opener being scored by a player RIGHT IN FRONT OF GOAL from a corner with no opponents anywhere near him, or on Rangers' well-paid striker bottling the f**k out of a one-on-one (almost visibly shiting himself), or on their expensive signing from down south getting his arse handed to him before being hooked in humiliation.

Rangers PR Dept 1-0 Reality.

It's a standard issue PR job. It makes me smile when I see Rangers fans gulping it in.

2 hours ago, gannonball said:

I have seen Collum give a penalty against us whilst facing the wrong way ffs. The guy is an atrocious referee but he isn't biased imo. He is just utterly clueless.

I can recall that decision and fair to say, i had a good laugh about it. 

He had shafted every team in the leagues at some point or other.

If the blue mob gets their way, i would hope saints do the same with Andrew Dallas  😇

9 minutes ago, Widge said:

I certainly don't think Collum stands out, the only reason the thread is focussed on him is because Rangers specifically naming him in their press release.

Collum isn't great but I blame the nature of Scottish football as a whole. Referees in this country have received death threats due to making an error. How can you possibly referee with shite like that hanging over your head? I've seen the same guy referee European and International games. I've cringed when I've seen him at the coin toss and then completely forgotten he's the official which is usually the sign of a decent performance.

The decision they are complaining about is such a nothing incident. You'd scream for it if it's your team, and argue for days about it if it's given against you. Rangers have been on the receiving end of so many soft decisions that it's wild for them to open the can of worms. The real issue is they don't want to confront the fact that they lost to a far superior team. This handball decision is no more blatant than both of the penalty decisions that didn't go Aberdeens way in the League Cup final.

I coach at Under 10 level. The way some coaches let their kids act is pretty terrible. Molly coddling them every time they go down and happily let them argue for decisions. This is before there is even a referee on the field. What hope do these referees have when coaches are happy to let the kids act like this at such a young age? I went through a spell where my players would go down after a challenge and roll around until they got 'treatment'. To no-ones surprise, this stopped when they were told they would be subbed immediately if they need treatment.

One of my pals took up refereeing when we were at school. They gave him lower age 11 a side games. He gave up after three games because he couldn't be arsed taking the abuse from players, coaches and the parents over such trivial fouls or decisions.

EDIT: I also find it hard to believe that the only decent refs we have coming through are from the west coast.

Edited by DukDukGoose

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

You can't have it both ways, so next time Rangers get a dodgy decision in their favour this example will be cited. 

It's already happened...

1 hour ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

Collum is not biased. He's just an absolute dumpling of a ref.

I don't recall ever seeing a ref so quick to flash cards.  He barely gives himself a second to catch his breath and make a decision. He's straight in to his pocket, no matter the severity, or mildness, of whatever the incident is.

He has made some absolutely stinking calls in his time. But show me a ref who hasn't. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that he's not even close to being the worst ref in Scotland.

That's why he's always in the conversation about our worst ever refs IMO.  He's really bad at flashing the cards as he's running towards the incident and doesn't give himself, quite literally, a second to analyse the context of the foul before making his decision.  I suppose with VAR he can always have another look but before it was introduced it was brutal when he was refereeing one of your games.

Edited by TheScarf

I don't think Collum is biased at all, but I do dread having him refereeing our TV games (albeit tinged with relief that it's not McLean) because he loves to make himself the centre of attention, which means you know something significant is going to hinge on his performance, rather than the players.

Edited by Iain

17 minutes ago, GeorgiosSamaras said:

The "Old Firm" are not trying to pick referees, Rangers are. Collum is a dreadful referee, he didn't check the only real penalty decision at the weekend - the foul on Turnbull wrongly ruled offside and he didn't send Walsh to the VAR monitor for the straight red card Goldson should have been given for the knee high challenge on Bernardo. 

Rangers issue with Collum is that he is a catholic and they despise catholics. Baldemort and his band of losers needed an excuse for yet another derby day walloping and the catholic watching from the van was a convenient scapegoat. It is patently ridiculous that a club who have had one penalty against them in 70 odd games think they are hard done to, I doubt they believe it themselves, but they have to placate the hoards who know little other than their team being battered by Celtic. So, they are playing up to and encouraging the worst elements of their fanbase who see this as the culmination of a wider Papal plot, started by Pope John Paul II's visit to Scotland in 1982. If it leads to violence against Collum, which those at Ibrox must surely know they are encouraging - that is a price worth paying to buy Clement's losers more time in their eyes. 

It's a Catholic conspiracy...

It's a Protestant conspiracy...

Its embarrassing and pathetic from both of you, 2 clubs which try so hard to have a religious identity ( lol ) when in reality Celtic and Rangers are mirror images of each other. 

18 minutes ago, Iain said:

I don't think Collum is biased at all, but I do dread having him refereeing our TV games (albeit tinged with relief that it's not MacLean) because he loves to make himself the centre of attention, which means you know something significant is going to hinge on his performance, rather than the players.

That too.  He always seems to want to make it about him.  Good refs are the ones you never need to talk about IMO.

Edited by TheScarf

8 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

I coach at Under 10 level. The way some coaches let their kids act is pretty terrible. Molly coddling them every time they go down and happily let them argue for decisions. This is before there is even a referee on the field. What hope do these referees have when coaches are happy to let the kids act like this at such a young age? I went through a spell where my players would go down after a challenge and roll around until they got 'treatment'. To no-ones surprise, this stopped when they were told they would be subbed immediately if they need treatment.

One of my pals took up refereeing when we were at school. They gave him lower age 11 a side games. He gave up after three games because he couldn't be arsed taking the abuse from players, coaches and the parents over such trivial fouls or decisions.

These are pretty much the points I was making. I've never done a coaching badge but I'd be surprised if there's anything about the laws of the game in it. 

One of my chums got as far as Highland league then had to give it up for his career. 

He had to send a guy off in a Bridge of Don v Oldmachar schools game, might have been 2nd years, after about 5 minutes for foul and abusive language. 

I played until I was 21/22 and never even considered taking a ref course because having played schools, Sunday amateurs, Saturday amateurs and uni fitba and seeing the abuse officials got (not from me I hasten to add) I thought. What's the point. 

3 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:

These are pretty much the points I was making. I've never done a coaching badge but I'd be surprised if there's anything about the laws of the game in it. 

One of my chums got as far as Highland league then had to give it up for his career. 

He had to send a guy off in a Bridge of Don v Oldmachar schools game, might have been 2nd years, after about 5 minutes for foul and abusive language. 

I played until I was 21/22 and never even considered taking a ref course because having played schools, Sunday amateurs, Saturday amateurs and uni fitba and seeing the abuse officials got (not from me I hasten to add) I thought. What's the point. 

I've done as far as 1.2.  The courses are great for folk who have never played but they don't go in to specifics about kids behaviour. 

I was a nightmare for dissent from about my mid teens up to packing in a few years ago. I think that's why I clamp down on it so much from my kid and others.

3 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

I once reffed a Sunday league game with such a raging hangover I never left the centre circle. I managed to award 2 penalties and disallow a goal because it never crossed the line.

I mean, how hard can it be?

Are you Snowy Treasurer?

4 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

I once reffed a Sunday league game with such a raging hangover I never left the centre circle. I managed to award 2 penalties and disallow a goal because it never crossed the line.

I mean, how hard can it be?

You're Duggie Fordyce*, aren't you?

* the only ref to give me a red card in my 15 year football career. Merited, in fairness.