Willie Collum; good guy? complete dick? corrupt? / ..and should (Old Firm) clubs "have the power to ban him"?

Two sided poll - Willie Collum's decisions & club control over referees.  

292 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, Lobby Dossar said:

The process should have been penalty awarded then bit would be overturned for the offside decision 

The fact that Collum didn’t think it was a penalty is where all this shite starts 

That would have been far more enjoyable - the tears and snotters that would have followed would have been a delight.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

It should have been a red card...

Yes, it should.

Saying a ref "pointedly refused to explain his decision making" is a bit of a weird thing to say, because it makes it sound as though they regularly come out and explain their decisions.

It's fair to say they are different times, I think the onus on a referee to come out and explain a decision when it is contentious is greater now - especially with mics for both the ref, their assistants and the VAR system.

He made a mistake, and I'm sure when he watched it back and saw the extent of the contact he realised that.

Massive leap of assumption, surely? You have no idea whether Collum agreed it was a mistake or that he even recognised it as a possibility. Which sort of loops back to my initial point, he has made no attempt to explain his actions. Do I want referees forced to explain every single action? No, and it would be unreasonable, however the example I gave was as clear as day. It is those incidents that bring about the issues regarding their "vow of silence".

Edited by Ric

Collum isn’t very good but he’s far from the worst. His handling of the second leg of our playoff semi final Vs Arbroath was abysmal and he should’ve chucked the refereeing a few years ago. 

Colin Steven and Greg Aitken are by far the two worst referees in Scottish football IMO. 

Collum is not biased. He's just an absolute dumpling of a ref.

I don't recall ever seeing a ref so quick to flash cards.  He barely gives himself a second to catch his breath and make a decision. He's straight in to his pocket, no matter the severity, or mildness, of whatever the incident is.

He has made some absolutely stinking calls in his time. But show me a ref who hasn't. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that he's not even close to being the worst ref in Scotland.

54 minutes ago, Rugster said:

Willie Collum once gave us a penalty against Rangers (SHOCKEROONIE I KNOW) that was about two yards outside the box. For that I thank him, but also point it he is an utterly atrocious official and I have no idea why he is championed as our most elite.

At the end of the same game he also gave a penalty to Rangers (shock horror) for a handball against Blair Alston that even Mark Warburton said wasn't. It was almost as if he needed to "even things up" but thankfully Danny Rogers saved it. 

I was at the first SPL game he refereed (2006?), Falkirk v Dunfermline at the Falkirk Stadium where I thought he had a great game. 

He's now past his best and needs put out to retirement

1 hour ago, lindz105 said:

Rangers vs St Johnstone at Ibrox last season. 

Colum awarded them a penalty for a handball against James Brown - one of those what is he supposed to do handballs but by the letter of the law it’s a penalty. 

Colum gave a yellow I think initially but upgraded to a red card to Nicky Clark for a high tackle on Ryan Jack. Red card rescinded on appeal as turns out zero contact made but we had to play with ten men for a lot of the game. 

Not long after that Colum gave a yellow for a reckless tackle on Adam Montgomery by Ryan Jack and VAR sent him to the screen to review the decision. Colum stuck with the yellow. 

Three poor decisions in one game. Can’t remember St Johnstone demanding meetings with the SFA and refusing for him to officiate though! 

On the other hand, seen Colum have perfectly decent games. 

So two poor decisions then since in your first one you note he correctly applied the rules.

11 minutes ago, Ric said:

I think the onus on a referee to come out and explain a decision when it is contentious is greater now - especially with mics for both the ref, their assistants and the VAR system.

Literally what would be the point? How would Willie Collum saying “I didn’t see it hit his hand” make any fucking difference?

Edited by oneteaminglasgow

I've eventually cracked and watched the incident. 

I was expecting something a bit more blatant tbh. 

Absolute tantrum babies. Disgraceful conduct from that club once again. Why can't they just act like civilised adults? 

7 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Literally what would be the point? How would Willie Collum saying “I didn’t see it hit his hand” make any fucking difference?

Because then you'd have microphones for both the referee, assistants AND the VAR system.

9 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

So two poor decisions then since in your first one you note he correctly applied the rules.

I would like to think the penalty wouldn’t be awarded now as it deflected off Goldson and Brown had his hand up. Wasn’t trying to “catch” the ball or stop it being a goal, he was using his arm as leverage to get up and unlucky it deflected and hit off his arm. It was at a time any contact with an arm was deemed a penalty. Think we’ve rightly got away from that to a degree now. So at the time I felt it was three harsh decisions but understood why the penalty was given. Wouldn’t be pleased however if that decision was made now. 

9 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

It's about trust.

If you have multiple angles, slow motion replays, and several different officials watching play and the referee gives something that is clearly not what you would expect, given the rules, then there needs to be a way to square that circle. The fact that we now have recordings of the officials speaking, when previously we didn't, offers an easy way to confirm the decision making process.

Is it a case that most fans don't fully understand the rules? Yes, and I include myself there, but when you have other experts, ex-players, ex-officials all saying "I don't know why they have/haven't given that" then it leaves a vacuum that is filled with conspiracy theories.

Collum is a terrible ref, yes. He was a figure of fun in the Juniors in the early 2000s and when he was translated, like Elijah, to the heavenly realms of the full-time game there was amusement, relief, but no surprise.

The standard of our refereeing is terrible. All teams suffer from them, though they are clearly influenced by the baying hordes of the two biggest supports, and the regular 'Dae you know who we ur?' requests for 'clarification' their officials make.

3 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Or maybe people could just grow up? 

Absolutely, but it's a big ask.

3 minutes ago, Ric said:

It's about trust.

If you have multiple angles, slow motion replays, and several different officials watching play and the referee gives something that is clearly not what you would expect, given the rules, then there needs to be a way to square that circle. The fact that we now have recordings of the officials speaking, when previously we didn't, offers an easy way to confirm the decision making process.

Is it a case that most fans don't fully understand the rules? Yes, and I include myself there, but when you have other experts, ex-players, ex-officials all saying "I don't know why they have/haven't given that" then it leaves a vacuum that is filled with conspiracy theories.

But they’ll make mistakes and the explanations won’t always accord with the exact rules or the facts (as established by multiple angle slo mo replays). 

Anything less than 100% accuracy with the benefit of hindsight will lead to conspiracy theories anyway. 

9 minutes ago, lindz105 said:

I would like to think the penalty wouldn’t be awarded now as it deflected off Goldson and Brown had his hand up. Wasn’t trying to “catch” the ball or stop it being a goal, he was using his arm as leverage to get up and unlucky it deflected and hit off his arm. It was at a time any contact with an arm was deemed a penalty. Think we’ve rightly got away from that to a degree now. So at the time I felt it was three harsh decisions but understood why the penalty was given. Wouldn’t be pleased however if that decision was made now. 

But was still the correct decision at the time.

Like the original poster has said, this is a classic case of entitlement and old firm bullying tactics at it's best.

Collum isn't a great referee, none of them really are to be honest. With that said, it all come to the correct conclusion...Sima was in an offside position. It is genuinely mind blowing that The Rangers are throwing their toys out the pram for this. Childlike, pathetic and embarrassing. 

As always with these two, though, they HAVE to be the victim.