Arbroath v Ayr battle for the bottom

Just now, timlichtie said:

Which weather forecast are they aware of? Certainly not the one the rest of us are seeing. Absolute incompetence and irresponsibility.

Tbf the predicted gusts at 20:00 have dropped from 54mph to 53mph on the MetOffice website. All it needs to do is drop another 20mph in 5 hours and it’ll be fine.

This fixture seems to be doomed.  

I remember the first night I was doing the announcing I was in the gazebo watching a wind inspection which bizarrely got the go ahead.  

IMG_20191210_180229.jpg

1 hour ago, diegomarahenry said:

A local ref could drive to Somerset right now and know it would be off without getting out his car. 

Just back from Somerset. Not raining not very windy and pitch playable. A ref would say game on. It is the forecast that will put it off if it happens.

3 minutes ago, timlichtie said:

Which weather forecast are they aware of? Certainly not the one the rest of us are seeing. Absolute incompetence and irresponsibility.

That's my club

4 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

This fixture seems to be doomed.  

I remember the first night I was doing the announcing I was in the gazebo watching a wind inspection which bizarrely got the go ahead.  

IMG_20191210_180229.jpg

Go back and do the announcing. It would be less tinpot than who we have now and you played bangers 🤣

1 minute ago, .buzzy01 said:

Is it actually Ayr’s decision to make at this stage? Not sure that it is but no doubt someone will advise accordingly.

Stirling and Montrose mutually agreed to postpone. You can bet your arse Arbroath will be keen to postpone.

So yes. Ayr would absolutely be in a position to make the decision however seem very determined to host this shitfest instead.

2 minutes ago, .buzzy01 said:

Is it actually Ayr’s decision to make at this stage? Not sure that it is but no doubt someone will advise accordingly.

Ref will have the final say regardless if we want to play it or not. He'll get there, have a wander around the pitch and call it off. 

3 minutes ago, .buzzy01 said:

The pitch is playable and someone mentioned it’s actually not that windy at Somerset currently. So it’s up to the referee and the authorities to call it off based on public safety or unfit conditions. 

However, the clubs statement implicates them in all sorts. 

I'm already down in Ayr today and can confirm the conditions are decent just now.

One glance at the forecast for this evening should make things clear though. 80km/h gusts expected 🤣

9 minutes ago, .buzzy01 said:

As far as I understand:

Postponement and Abandonment of Matches

G50 No League Match or Play-Off Match shall be postponed except on the instructions 
of the appointed Referee or pitch inspector or by the Board

G51 If a League Match or Play-Off Match is postponed other than by the Board, such 
postponement shall be reported as soon as reasonably practicable to the Secretary 
by the Referee concerned and, where it has been postponed with the consent of 
the Board, it shall be the duty of the Home Club to immediately notify the 
appointed Match Officials of such postponement.

G52 In the event of any League Match or Play-Off Match not being played or abandoned 
or being ordered to be played or replayed, it shall be played on a date and at a time 
as determined by the Board.

Sorta

Ayr could get an inspector (local ref) in.  (but the pitch is playable and there is little wind at the moment)

Ayr and Arbroath could agree it's a nonsense and propose to the SPFL that the match be postponed. 

Or Ayr can wait for the referees verdict and hour and a half before kick off.  

5 minutes ago, spiders4ever said:

Please call it off because whatever the result QP will drop to 9th. I'd like us to stay at a heady 8th for a few more days.

Having played Arbroath last week, it may be possible for both teams to lose this fixture

19 minutes ago, Hursty said:

Aye its absolutely fine the now.  Sadly it's not a 3pm kick off though...

Update - I can exclusively reveal that there are 2 empty wheely bins that have blown over on Burnett Terrace.   I think this is the wind equivalent of "i live 5 mins away and my back garden is still frozen / waterlogged"  so I'm now saying game off.  

4 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Having played Arbroath last week, it may be possible for both teams to lose this fixture

Yes - it's one occasion where we can't say "the wind ruined that as a spectacle" as I suspect that even in perfect conditions it would still be a bit rubbish.