People Who Are Known For No Good Reason

11 hours ago, deegee said:

another reality contestant, Alison Hammond

There's a TV advert for Wren kitchens and the voice-over is doing my head in. Turns out it's her. She must have a helluva good agent.

21 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

See what you mean about everyone you mentioned in this list except Jamie Lee Curtis.

I present Exhibit Phwoar...

image.png.2260e3fba9fee334211dc47674b10c38.png

I like Jamie Lee Curtis, but she might not have had a career at all if it wasn't for her parents. That she can admit her background got her early roles but can't see that she didn't get there through talent and working harder than everyone else is staggering cognitive dissonance. She obviously turned up and did her job when given the opportunities, but that's the bare minimum for employment.

Also, you could've had a casting call for unknown Hollywood actresses in 1985 and Jamie Lee wouldn't have stood out at all. It's not even a consideration; if you aren't considered attractive, you wouldn't be there. Heresy, I know.

18 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

So these are basically a version of the 'nepobaby' and are largely talentless grifters ?

The 'nepobaby' insult is weird, considering it's nothing new, and it's really odd to see older famous people calling them out. I think it's older generations pretending that they didn't benefit from the exact same privilege, much like Jamie Lee. The internet has demonstrated that there are loads of average people who are every bit as talented as most of the industry, only without the contacts and preferential treatment.

Although when it comes to TV personalities, yeah, they probably are mostly talentless. It's absolutely a job that anyone could do with training. I'm sure anyone could learn to put on a decent posh weirdo act if required (and it does seem to help).

15 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I like Jamie Lee Curtis, but she might not have had a career at all if it wasn't for her parents. That she can admit her background got her early roles but can't see that she didn't get there through talent and working harder than everyone else is staggering cognitive dissonance. She obviously turned up and did her job when given the opportunities, but that's the bare minimum for employment.

Also, you could've had a casting call for unknown Hollywood actresses in 1985 and Jamie Lee wouldn't have stood out at all. It's not even a consideration; if you aren't considered attractive, you wouldn't be there. Heresy, I know.

The 'nepobaby' insult is weird, considering it's nothing new, and it's really odd to see older famous people calling them out. I think it's older generations pretending that they didn't benefit from the exact same privilege, much like Jamie Lee. The internet has demonstrated that there are loads of average people who are every bit as talented as most of the industry, only without the contacts and preferential treatment.

Although when it comes to TV personalities, yeah, they probably are mostly talentless. It's absolutely a job that anyone could do with training. I'm sure anyone could learn to put on a decent posh weirdo act if required (and it does seem to help).

^^^^ cares way too much about this.

5 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

^^^^ cares way too much about this.

It's alright, you're still allowed to knock one out to your Perfect VHS  :P

On Nepo Babies, I saw an advert on TV for a show - an actual documentary - called something like "Peltz Beckhams versus the wedding planners". One of David Beckham's kids apparently fell out with a wedding planner and the fucking Discovery channel made a show about it. Not even ITV8 or wherever these folk normally live. 

Stick to shows about sharks, ffs. 

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

On Nepo Babies, I saw an advert on TV for a show - an actual documentary - called something like "Peltz Beckhams versus the wedding planners". One of David Beckham's kids apparently fell out with a wedding planner and the fucking Discovery channel made a show about it. Not even ITV8 or wherever these folk normally live. 

Stick to shows about sharks, ffs. 

Always weird when TV channels stop doing the thing they're named after. MTV not showing music, the History Channel broadcasting conspiracy theory shit about aliens, Dave ending their 24-hour reality show about me.

They had good reason, but still.

Any tiktoker.

I can give YouTube folk a pass because they generally put a fair amount of effort in, and for many it's a career.

But for tiktokers, they just sit on their phone for 15 seconds and that's it.

Also, this c**t:

Tiktoker + Football. Absolutely living on a **trial** with us in July. (The below post was posted today on his Instagram.)

Screenshot_20240109_164000.thumb.jpg.28bde3a11106f6d81dad88f46ad08d77.jpg