People Who Are Known For No Good Reason

There was some bloke who recently was all over the news about sex trafficking and some other horrendous stuff. Think he was hiding in Romania or somewhere. Either American or British. He was one of those Internet influencer types...

So famous. I can't even remember his name... But seemed as big (if not bigger) a c*** as Joey Barton. 

28 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

KSI started recording himself playing Fifa in his bedroom and uploading it to YouTube back in maybe 2009 ish? Then started releasing singles and then “called out” another youtuber for a boxing match and it seems have snowballed from there. Convincing himself he’s a bonafide boxer. Guy is absolutely loaded tbf so must be doing something right

Mr Beast seems like a decent guy from any clips I’ve seen but no idea how he got started. 

Can’t stand either of Thogden and Goldbridge 

As an unashamed YouTube viewer that grew up watching KSI and stuff (think we're the same age) I have a special part of me that will always irrationally dislike Mr Beast. 

He probably is a nice guy and has undoubtedly done good things but he first came to prominence about the same Time YouTube turned to absolute shite. I think it was about the time people realised they could game the algorithm properly and he used to do videos like 10 hours of watching some shitty viral video on repeat. He then got sponsors and started doing giveaway videos where it wouldn't have cost him a penny up until the point his revenue grew big enough he could afford to do the stuff genuinely. A great example of corporate 'Murica imo. 

4 hours ago, pozbaird said:

For me, and it is absolutely an age related thing, it’s anyone who pops up on Strictly or I’m a Celebrity who are there because they are a ‘social media influencer’ or a ‘YouTuber’.

Very much this. And it can be exacerbated by what kind of interests you do/don't have.

I've never been a reality tv watcher. Maybe one series of The Apprentice about a decade ago, but that's it. I've genuinely never watched any of the others, including the singing/dancing ones. Consequence of this is that there are loads of tv/radio presenters/quiz show guests etc whose names I may have heard, and whose faces I see often, but who I have not the faintest idea about. Not reading tabloid newspapers will also be a factor.

Rylan is a good example. Not a clue where he came from.

And with music now being less of a shared thing, with the yooof and the others largely cut off from each other in terms of what they listen to and where they hear it, it's not really a surprise that we lose a grasp of who folk are as we get older. I know who Taylor Swift is, but I've never once knowingly heard any of her songs.

But then, someone who is 22 years old, gets their music from places I don't, watches videos etc from places I don't, and kens all about this stuff, may not have the faintest idea who Harry Nilsson or Stewart Lee are. And I think these divides become more pronounced with less shared viewing/listening than when I were a lad.

Edited by VincentGuerin

3 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Very much this. And it can be exacerbated by what kind of interests you do/don't have.

I've never been a reality tv watcher. Maybe one series of The Apprentice about a decade ago, but that's it. I've genuinely never watched any of the others, including the singing/dancing ones. Consequence of this is that there are loads of tv/radio presenters/quiz show guests etc whose names I may have heard, and whose faces I see often, but who I have not the faintest idea about. Not reading tabloid newspapers will also be a factor.

Rylan is a good example. Not a clue where he came from.

And with music now being less of a shared thing, with the yooof and the others largely cut off from each other in terms of what they listen to and where they hear it, it's not really a surprise that we lose a grasp of who folk are as we get older. I know who Taylor Swift is, but I've never once knowingly heard any of her songs.

Another thing is that sometimes a ‘celebrity’ pops up on a Strictly or I’m a Celebrity type of show, I don’t have a scooby who they are, and when I ask Mrs P, she’ll tell me they’re on it because they were on Love Island or some such thing. So, you have a situation whereby a member of the public applied to go on a reality show, then be invited onto another show as a ‘celebrity’ because they were a member of the public who appeared on a reality show. This makes the social media influencers and YouTubers who get onto Strictly to look like bona-fide superstars.

4 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Another thing is that sometimes a ‘celebrity’ pops up on a Strictly or I’m a Celebrity type of show, I don’t have a scooby who they are, and when I ask Mrs P, she’ll tell me they’re on it because they were on Love Island or some such thing. So, you have a situation whereby a member of the public applied to go on a reality show, then be invited onto another show as a ‘celebrity’ because they were a member of the public who appeared on a reality show. This makes the social media influencers and YouTubers who get onto Strictly to look like bona-fide superstars.

Aye. It's like celebrity Russian dolls.

Like if I went on Countdown or something and then used that as a springboard to Celebrity Masterchef.

Like you, I'm quite happy not having a clue. The missus is often on hand to tell me where someone has come from, as, while she likes to kid on otherwise, she sneaks in her reality tv when she thinks I won't notice (and heavily judge).

Bring back the olden days when you had to be friends with minor aristocracy and get in the tabloid “society“ diaries to get a “celebrity” gig. Or at least get them out for the sun “readers”. 

4 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

This was the case for me a few years ago when watching I'm a Celeb.

There was a "comedian" Joel Dommett on it.

I'd never heard of him, never seen him do any comedy and since then I've still never seem him do any comedy but he presents fucking everything and he is very dull.

I get irrationally angry when he comes on TV.

47 minutes ago, atfccfc said:

There was some bloke who recently was all over the news about sex trafficking and some other horrendous stuff. Think he was hiding in Romania or somewhere. Either American or British. He was one of those Internet influencer types...

So famous. I can't even remember his name... But seemed as big (if not bigger) a c*** as Joey Barton. 

Andrew Tate. God knows how he got famous but was known for being sexist on Love Island (i was told by youngsters at work, honest). Maybe he got famous through that but that’s a celeb thing isn’t it?

2 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Although I'm a fan of Masterchef, I'm still not quite sure why Greg Wallace is a judge. John Tarode, Michel Roux, Marcus Wareing, Monica Galletti I get, Greg I don't. I don't mind him and he's decent enough on that show and the Inside the Factory thing he does, but other than hosting these programmes, what is he famous for?

He was a greengrocer who then appeared on a Radio 4 TV show for several years where he spoke about food, then off the back of that he presented Saturday Kitchen when it started out. So when Masterchef started he was a non-chef with a big personality which contrasted quite nicely with Torode, and the partnership has obviously worked over nearly 20 years now.

A few of the examples in the OP are a bit like that too - people like Stacey Solomon and Rylan became famous through TV talent shows or whatever, and then someone will have noticed their charisma and obvious likeability and decided to give them a shot on TV. Then because they're good at it their career kicks off.

I think all of those are much more genuine reasons to be "famous" then those whose career basically only started through nepotism, and who have constantly been getting jobs off the back of that.

58 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Andrew Tate. God knows how he got famous but was known for being sexist on Love Island (i was told by youngsters at work, honest). Maybe he got famous through that but that’s a celeb thing isn’t it?

Watched a documentary about him last night, he was apparently a 4 time world kick-boxing champion who then started blogging. He got chucked out of Big Brother after footage of him beating a girl with a leather belt emerged. He is a total narcissist c**t & hopefully will be put away in Romania for a long long time, but I doubt it. 

1 hour ago, RuMoore said:

As an unashamed YouTube viewer that grew up watching KSI and stuff (think we're the same age) I have a special part of me that will always irrationally dislike Mr Beast. 

He probably is a nice guy and has undoubtedly done good things but he first came to prominence about the same Time YouTube turned to absolute shite. I think it was about the time people realised they could game the algorithm properly and he used to do videos like 10 hours of watching some shitty viral video on repeat. He then got sponsors and started doing giveaway videos where it wouldn't have cost him a penny up until the point his revenue grew big enough he could afford to do the stuff genuinely. A great example of corporate 'Murica imo. 

We probably are, I always remember going into school sort of 2nd/3rd year and all we’d talk about was KSI’s new video :lol:

I didn’t know that about how Mr Beast started tbf, just seen the stuff like where he buys a full grocery store and donates it all. Doesn’t seem to have let a bit of fame go to his head like a lot of the other dweebs (I.E. Jake Paul) 

55 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

He was a greengrocer who then appeared on a Radio 4 TV show for several years where he spoke about food, then off the back of that he presented Saturday Kitchen when it started out.

Knew about the greengrocer stuff but not the Radio stuff or Saturday Kitchen - always assumed that started with James Martin (who apparently is a grade A w****r). Like I say, I don't mind Wallace at all and you're right about the pairing of he and Torode 

1 hour ago, gannonball said:

Other than being a bit of a creepy nonce, Wayne Lineker

I'm high right now and I thought I was reading the "Male comedians you hate most" thread and had a proper normal island have I missed that moment there. 

Peter Mullan.

I don't know what's so special about him, but he's somehow managed to shoehorn himself into any post-80s film with any form of Scottish theme.  My other half randomly picked an old episode of Taggart the other day, and low and behold, there's Peter Mullan playing a secondary character. She also ended up watching that Sunset Song guff (just because it was a school project), and Mr Inescapable was there too.

If a programme features a tartan shortbread tin then he'll probably be in it somewhere (the film/episode, not the tin).  

Edited by Hedgecutter

38 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Peter Mullan.

I don't know what's so special about him, but he's somehow managed to shoehorn himself into any post-80s film with any form of Scottish theme.  My other half randomly picked an old episode of Taggart the other day, and low and behold, there's Peter Mullan playing a secondary character. She also ended up watching that Sunset Song guff (just because it was a school project), and Mr Inescapable was there too.

If a programme features a tartan shortbread tin then he'll probably be in it somewhere (the film/episode, not the tin).  

When the thread "highly talented individuals against whom you harbour an irrational dislike" materialises, this comment will be valid. The guy is an extremely successful actor, director and screenwriter who has achieved international recognition. As for your view on Sunset Song, while entitled to an opinion, I'm afraid you have chosen the wrong one.