People Who Are Known For No Good Reason

A sister thread to the 'people you like/dislike for no good reason' threads.

We've all noticed somebody who seemed to have appeared in the popular consciousness overnight and felt like we've been living under a rock for not knowing who the f**k they are, or why they're popular (or the opposite). Feel free to add your own entries to this list, or just castigate the ignorance of others in the most brutal way imaginable.

My latest is Kate Garraway, who I've seen headlines and clickbait about for months because her husband is dying (I think). That's very sad, but I've no clue why the press wants me to know about this person as opposed to anybody else who has lost a loved one, and I'm too lazy and entitled to Google her name when I have a forum I could be asking. Hopefully someone tells me before the inevitable 'Kate finds new love' stories in a few months time.

I don't know why Stacey Solomon is famous. She's carved out a career in TV presenting and advertising, but she seems to have been famous for a reason before getting these jobs. It appears she's taken over from Kerry Katona (who was in a pop group for a few months IIRC) as the nation's favourite mum, although I'm not entirely sure why she was famous either TBH.

Also yer man Rylan with the Bee Gee teeth. I actually looked him up once and I'm still none the wiser. He seems absolutely fine as far as daytime TV personalities go, but he suddenly seemed to be everywhere and beloved by all. Not sure how he managed that.

7 minutes ago, BFTD said:

A sister thread to the 'people you like/dislike for no good reason' threads.

Also yer man Rylan with the Bee Gee teeth. I actually looked him up once and I'm still none the wiser. He seems absolutely fine as far as daytime TV personalities go, but he suddenly seemed to be everywhere and beloved by all. Not sure how he managed that.

I think Stacey Solomon and Rylan Clark were initially contestants on X Factor or Pop Idol type shows. Kate Garraway started off maybe as a journalist, a live reporter for local TV news? No idea. Haven’t Googled, just me thinking that. I actually like Rylan Clark as a presenter on TV. Seems a genuinely likeable sort.

For me, and it is absolutely an age related thing, it’s anyone who pops up on Strictly or I’m a Celebrity who are there because they are a ‘social media influencer’ or a ‘YouTuber’. My reaction is always ‘who the fcuk?’. I actually don’t mind admitting it’s an age thing, and I will go to my grave not caring, or frankly giving a flying fcuk about any of them, how many followers they have, or that they are ‘famous’ for giving make-up advice, and who knows what else advice, to people online.

Rightly, or wrongly, fcuk um’. 😀

Edited by pozbaird

33 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I think Stacey Solomon and Rylan Clark were initially contestants on X Factor or Pop Idol type shows. Kate Garraway started off maybe as a journalist, a live reporter for local TV news? No idea. Haven’t Googled, just me thinking that. I actually like Rylan Clark as a presenter on TV. Seems a genuinely likeable sort.

Yes, they both appeared on X Factor and fulfilled the role of "Cheeky Essex-type" which meant using their normal accent instead of RP English.

1 hour ago, RuMoore said:

-The ugly lady

How very dare you sir. She's the Mona Lisa of Menzieshill, the Dora Maar of Dudhope, the Flirtatious Madame X of Fintry, the Jean Hebuterne of the Hulltoon.

Spoiler

And she'll snap you in two.

image.png.9a2532152a95b9a5d83300c2c2572bc9.png

Although I'm a fan of Masterchef, I'm still not quite sure why Greg Wallace is a judge. John Tarode, Michel Roux, Marcus Wareing, Monica Galletti I get, Greg I don't. I don't mind him and he's decent enough on that show and the Inside the Factory thing he does, but other than hosting these programmes, what is he famous for?

I know I'm old but I don't know what a lot of the Social Media guys are known for. KSI seems to have an empire now and is a boxer of a sorts but where did he come from? How did Mr Beast make his first bundle of money? I saw Blair McNally (I think) mentioned in relation to the Raith fan who was beaten up, and Thodgen (or something) on the FA Cup thread. What do they do? And why haven't Sky or the FA or whomever stopped Mark Golsbridge from watching an illegal stream for the 3pm Saturday games?

2 hours ago, Caledonian1 said:

Only about two hours ago I had to google Laurence Fox - his name crept up a few times on the Joey Barton thread.  Still not a lot wiser to be honest

I actually liked him in Inspector Lewis.

2 hours ago, Caledonian1 said:

Only about two hours ago I had to google Laurence Fox - his name crept up a few times on the Joey Barton thread.  Still not a lot wiser to be honest

He played the sidekick to Lewis in the Detective show Lewis that followed on from Inspector Morse.

He was once married to Billie Piper.  He is the son of actor James Fox.

Oh, and then he decided to express his political opinions all over the place.

52 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

I know I'm old but I don't know what a lot of the Social Media guys are known for. KSI seems to have an empire now and is a boxer of a sorts but where did he come from? How did Mr Beast make his first bundle of money? I saw Blair McNally (I think) mentioned in relation to the Raith fan who was beaten up, and Thodgen (or something) on the FA Cup thread. What do they do? And why haven't Sky or the FA or whomever stopped Mark Golsbridge from watching an illegal stream for the 3pm Saturday games?

KSI started recording himself playing Fifa in his bedroom and uploading it to YouTube back in maybe 2009 ish? Then started releasing singles and then “called out” another youtuber for a boxing match and it seems have snowballed from there. Convincing himself he’s a bonafide boxer. Guy is absolutely loaded tbf so must be doing something right

Mr Beast seems like a decent guy from any clips I’ve seen but no idea how he got started. 

Can’t stand either of Thogden and Goldbridge 

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

How very dare you sir. She's the Mona Lisa of Menzieshill, the Dora Maar of Dudhope, the Flirtatious Madame X of Fintry, the Jean Hebuterne of the Hulltoon.

Hide contents

And she'll snap you in two.

image.png.9a2532152a95b9a5d83300c2c2572bc9.png

She’s all that, and a topped tee shot in golf. Credit where it’s due.