Post Office Scandal

Can't see a thread for this - although there are some posts in other threads. If there's one kicking about, just delete this one.

This is perhaps the zenith of private/public sector supply partnership f**k-ups - although who knows what's lurking. 

If only they'd listened to Geoff ...

https://twitter.com/geoffmulgan/status/1746608003824910346

2 hours ago, HTG said:

Can't see a thread for this - although there are some posts in other threads. If there's one kicking about, just delete this one.

This is perhaps the zenith of private/public sector supply partnership f**k-ups - although who knows what's lurking. 

If only they'd listened to Geoff ...

https://twitter.com/geoffmulgan/status/1746608003824910346

Their all in each other's pockets. That's why they are still giving contracts to Fujitsu. Building trust...Fucking Criminal 👊

Screenshot_20240115_000425_Chrome.jpg

Edited by guinness

The weirdest thing about this all is that the scandal, known about for well over a decade, suddenly dominates the news cycle because of a TV program.

Think we will need a TV program on COVID emergency spending and how the royals are 'funded' next.

Edited by SH Panda

24 minutes ago, SH Panda said:

The weirdest thing about this all is that the scandal, known about for well over a decade, suddenly dominates the news cycle because of a TV program.

Think we will need a TV program on COVID emergency spending and how the royals are 'funded' next.

More like 20 years.  Even the book published 3 years ago  didn't really make much impact.  Maybe a TV programme makes it more real as we can see how real people's lives were affected rather than having to imagine.

Edited by hk blues

Handy time score some brownie points in an election year where they're trying not to get totally diceminated for the Tory's.

Previous governments were well aware of the issues and still gave Vennells a CBE. 

I think it’s symptomatic of how corporations (in this case government owned) are allowed to, tbh encouraged to, make the shareholder top priority to the cost of any public service they are supposed to provide. And of course their fat bonuses. Boards, CEOs etc need to start looking at jail time for malpractice imo before things will change. I include water companies etc in this. 

14 hours ago, guinness said:

Their all in each other's pockets. That's why they are still giving contracts to Fujitsu. Building trust...Fucking Criminal 👊

Screenshot_20240115_000425_Chrome.jpg

Several government departments are beholden to Fujitsu, so good luck getting them punted unfortunately. This is, of course, the fault of the Government for awarding the contracts that they did and creating such a situation. 

Interesting article on previous efforts to ditch Fujitsu and how it failed - https://www.ft.com/content/0b5c9a75-72e7-45bc-a202-7172d35e9f54

Moving away from Fujitsu's incompetence for one moment, this scandal is entirely on the Post Office. They knew the system had flaws, they ignored this and prosecuted hundreds of people regardless. 

23 hours ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

My mum was a post mistress when Horizon came in. She only used it for a year before she left the job and bought her five bedroomed house and her 911. She said there was always accounting errors, which, at the time she always put down to an incompetent staff member! 

Given ITV are the new medium for getting information on the justice system and driving government policy, I am two episodes into this series. 

No spoilers please but I’m starting to think that post office limited might be the bad guys. An unexpected twist following the multiple convictions of fraudsters in episode 1. 

A sad indictment on how this country works that clear and multiple miscarriages of justice that have been rumbling on for 20+ years only get properly addressed after an ITV drama is aired over the Christmas holidays.

51 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Given ITV are the new medium for getting information on the justice system and driving government policy, I am two episodes into this series. 

No spoilers please but I’m starting to think that post office limited might be the bad guys. An unexpected twist following the multiple convictions of fraudsters in episode 1. 

Season 8 Tns GIF by THE NEXT STEP

14 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Who knows what will happen next. Hopefully rishi and the lads have watched the whole series so they’re operating with the full facts and detail. 

I'd watch a Rishi v Toby PPV cage fight.

23 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkant said:

You know what is scandalous, the price of fucking stamps these days.

Post Office just before Christmas and I was doing a couple of things and asked for 1st class stamps,

Cashier - Books of 4 or 8 are available

Me - Book of 8 (and I put a tenner on the counter at that point)

She hands me a book of 8 and I stand there, she looks at me at which point I realise a book of stamps is a tenner as they £1.25 each.

Emailing cards next year