Reform UK going from strength to strength.

"The Conservatives haven't been conservative for a while"

They look pretty bloody Tory from my end of the telescope. Similar to the sentiments that Keef's party are somehow a bunch of raving trots

34 minutes ago, CarrbridgeSaintee said:

It'll be interesting to see how the whole Reform project pans out.  The Tories haven't been conservative for quite some time, and that won't change without pressure from a party like Reform.

They didn't get my vote this time round, but I like their policies and wish them well.  Farage's ability to work the media is second to none.

Come on to f**k mate.
Look at the multimillionaires backing Reform, look at their constant paid for media coverage, look at their nonsense policies wanting to deregulate everything.
They're not the everyman's party and they won't really stop immigration. They openly want Britain to be a haven for the 1%.

Capitalism has failed everyone outside these c***s. It's time to turn the page on it.

2 hours ago, Fullerene said:

Excluding goals by players that don't really count then they are already out and heading home.

Problem solved.

The English can look two ways at once where football is involved whether it be the national team or their club teams; Farage will be no different.

Even the most ardent racists will declare the English Premier League to be the best in the world when the best managers and players are often foreign and foreign ownership is dominant.

14 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

The English can look two ways at once where football is involved whether it be the national team or their club teams; Farage will be no different.

Even the most ardent racists will declare the English Premier League to be the best in the world when the best managers and players are often foreign and foreign ownership is dominant.

The British Empire was mostly foreign (and mostly Muslim or Hindu too) but let's not get into the detail.

On 05/07/2024 at 09:23, throbber said:

4 million votes and only 4 seats. More people voted reform than Lib Dem. Also reform got 60% as many as the conservatives. Are they crying that democracy doesn’t work yet?

That's not democracy, and no right minded individual can claim that it is, think the only other country that uses this 'first past the post' system is Belarus (could be wrong though) but my original point still stands. The British general election, an absolute dishonest farce.

Thank you.

It's quite impressive to see the Tory party, who are probably as far to the conservative right currently as they have been since Thatcher - if not more - being described as "(not being) conservative for quite some time".

Genuinely frightening to think what kind of politics some folk are after in this country.

4 hours ago, CarrbridgeSaintee said:

The Tories haven't been conservative for quite some time

They've verged towards the fascist end of the spectrum. Reform are already there. Labour are conservative. Not sure where that leaves folk who "quite like their policies". Keen on sinking boats full of brown people probably. 

If there was proportional representation there would be a left wing party formed which would get loads of votes and cancel out the Faragists. When Labour voters are questioned on Brexit, Trident, Palestine and Nationalisation they all seem to be against the heid yins policies but vote for them as down south they don't really have a choice.

Being conservative with a small "c" to my mind means the Oakshottian tradition which used to be the MO of the party of the same name, where the status quo is preferred to change,in particular of institutions. The thinking is that there's more knowledge and procesd embedded in institutions that have evolved over time than people can know or design from scratch. 

Thatcher wasn't particularly conservative on the economy. The last government wasn't particularly conservative in austerity, leaving the EU, shutting parliament in a huff and doing a budget without a budget. 

So there's some truth to @CarrbridgeSaintee's statement. Although I suspect he means it in terms of them being too WOKE, ecowarriors and soft on crime and immigrants. 

2 hours ago, coprolite said:

Being conservative with a small "c" to my mind means the Oakshottian tradition which used to be the MO of the party of the same name, where the status quo is preferred to change,in particular of institutions. The thinking is that there's more knowledge and procesd embedded in institutions that have evolved over time than people can know or design from scratch. 

Thatcher wasn't particularly conservative on the economy. The last government wasn't particularly conservative in austerity, leaving the EU, shutting parliament in a huff and doing a budget without a budget. 

So there's some truth to @CarrbridgeSaintee's statement. Although I suspect he means it in terms of them being too WOKE, ecowarriors and soft on crime and immigrants. 

I read that as Oaksoftian 

Apologies if this has been mentioned already (I'm not reading back through this cesspit) but Twitter suggests there might be a scandal brewing and that the election might need to be re-run.

It looks like a number of the Reform candidates might not exist and have been created purely to take votes away from the Tories.

This thread is interesting.

I do like a goo scandal. Hope it's true.

I think this is highly unlikely to have any legs. These will be real people who have agreed to be paper candidates who put their name on the ballot and do nothing else, I think they'd easily find enough people willing to do that rather than having to take the risk of making up fake candidates.

Just now, craigkillie said:

I think this is highly unlikely to have any legs. These will be real people who have agreed to be paper candidates who put their name on the ballot and do nothing else, I think they'd easily find enough people willing to do that rather than having to take the risk of making up fake candidates.

Agreed but you can hope.

I can't believe that fielding non-participating 'candidates', funded by god-knows-who, is entirely legal either, though.

That guy's twitter started June 2024 had a couple of posts on election day then said he couldn't make the count because he had pneumonia. 

I wouldn’t put my card details on his website... 

7 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Imagine if one of them had actually won.

They could just use Microsoft’s old AI bot. Actually maybe some of their real candidates did too. 

On March 23, 2016, Microsoft released Tay to the public on Twitter. At first, Tay engaged harmlessly with her growing number of followers with banter and lame jokes. But after only a few hours, Tay started tweeting highly offensive things, such as: “I f@#%&*# hate feminists and they should all die and burn in hell” or “Bush did 9/11 and Hitler would have done a better job…”

2 hours ago, The DA said:

Apologies if this has been mentioned already (I'm not reading back through this cesspit) but Twitter suggests there might be a scandal brewing and that the election might need to be re-run.

It looks like a number of the Reform candidates might not exist and have been created purely to take votes away from the Tories.

It was noticeable the lack of Reform candidates on the "stage" at the result announcement.

2 hours ago, The DA said:

You mean my local Reform candidate, Padimir Vlutin, was just made up?

Highlands being one place Reform beat the Tories. I haven't looked yet to see here else this happened around the UK. A lot of 4th places around the for Reform.

Reform who barely tried in Scotland out-doing Alba. Better showing than the Salmond ego trip club even if the illegal crossings into the UK from France are unlikely to reach places like Bettyhill or Kinlochbervie, but you never know, all it takes is the wind to blow in the wrong direction.

On 07/07/2024 at 15:55, CarrbridgeSaintee said:

It'll be interesting to see how the whole Reform project pans out.  The Tories haven't been conservative for quite some time, and that won't change without pressure from a party like Reform.

They didn't get my vote this time round, but I like their policies and wish them well.  Farage's ability to work the media is second to none.

The media's fascination with Farage and Reform reminds me of the football media all over Gretna FC in the 00's. I do kind of think of Reform as like Gretna or more recent times East Kilbride if Reform was a football club. Its like a circus.

I don't agree about the Tories, they always serve the wealthy and titled first, how they achieve winning elections on shifting policies right or left depending or driven by public opinion is of less importance as long as they win. During the election it looked like Labour took the majority of former Tory voters so Reform of less relevance than Labour on this. I don't think there is as much pressure on the Tories from Reform as made out. I think after the disasters of the last 10 years people had had enough and wanted change, both Labour and Reform benefited. Not surprised in the low turn out. This mirrored in Scotland on how badly the SNP performed.