St Johnstone v Aberdeen 24 January 7.45pm

1 hour ago, 1GregStewart said:

Robson ‘ we controlled the game without too much penetration ’

his own words. Why oh why then would he change the formation at 1-0 up to a system that doesn’t work for any part of the team with the players we have. We then proceeded to turn into a kick and rush shambles and the inevitable equaliser happened, and could have turned into a loss except for the woodwork. 
He’s just not cutting it and needs to go. 
Polvara is having a mare and we needed fresh impetus. Put Duk on at left of the 3 behind miovski and get him putting the fear into them, giving the team and the game a lift. Absolutely no need to change everything. He’s obsessed with this 3-5-2 and it’s honking. 

Polvara was excellent for the first half of the first half, then he totally lost it and gave the ball away everytime he was in possession. Thought he should have been replaced at half time. No idea why Jonny Hayes effectively replaced Jack McKenzie, even though MacKenzie had shaded a bit in the second half.

Polvara got absolutely ragdolled a few times by Phillips and never recovered.

Mackenzie must be frustrating to watch. A really solid runner when he gets forward but absolutely shite scared to take anyone on.

2 hours ago, 1GregStewart said:

Robson ‘ we controlled the game without too much penetration ’

his own words. Why oh why then would he change the formation at 1-0 up to a system that doesn’t work for any part of the team with the players we have. We then proceeded to turn into a kick and rush shambles and the inevitable equaliser happened, and could have turned into a loss except for the woodwork. 
He’s just not cutting it and needs to go. 
Polvara is having a mare and we needed fresh impetus. Put Duk on at left of the 3 behind miovski and get him putting the fear into them, giving the team and the game a lift. Absolutely no need to change everything. He’s obsessed with this 3-5-2 and it’s honking. 

5-3-2.

10 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Polvara got absolutely ragdolled a few times by Phillips and never recovered.

Mackenzie must be frustrating to watch. A really solid runner when he gets forward but absolutely shite scared to take anyone on.

He's a fullback.

He should be the defensive minded player who covers for the luxury of Duk on the left wing.

I count that as a moral victory for Perth. 

We showed some small glimpses that we can be ok but mostly were second to everything , looked clueless and kept getting outfought. We got bailed out by a couple of soft VAR interventions and the Johnnies passing and shooting ineptitude.

we’re not getting top six never mind Europe. 

11 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Any St Johnstone bitching about the VAR given penalty should rap up.

On the basis Levein acknowledged after the game he’d been told by his back room staff who had seen it back, that it was a penalty.

Dreadfull game between two dreadful  teams 

Robson is dragging this pretty decent squad downwards, & the Board are probably the only ones who can’t see it. 

It's as soft a penalty as you're ever likely to see. Coming on the back of the disallowed goal I think we're entitled to feel hard done by.

1 hour ago, Shadow Play said:

I may be reading you wrongly here but the rules are clear.   If a player punches a player (or commits any other foul)  in the box before the corner is taken the offending player would be punished as the referee sees fit.  The corner would still need to be taken.  There would be NO penalty.  There was an incident similar to this sort of situation in a European tie at Ibrox many years ago and one in the Dutch league a couple of years ago.

“If an offence occurs when the ball is not in play, this does not change how play is restarted.” And also: “If the ball is out of play, play is restarted according to the previous decision.”

Well I bow to your superior knowledge on the subject , no wonder I’m not a referee 🤣😂

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

Polvara was excellent for the first half of the first half, then he totally lost it and gave the ball away everytime he was in possession. Thought he should have been replaced at half time. No idea why Jonny Hayes effectively replaced Jack McKenzie, even though MacKenzie had shaded a bit in the second half.

Not sure he was excellent. 

But if anyone is to blame, it’s rob maclean. He stated after about 20 minutes that Dante never gives the ball away. It raised my eyebrows at the time but became laughable as the half went on. 

The boy Phillips just did him for strength 3 or 4 times and it was a bit humiliating. 

I may have missed something, but why was so much of the reporting/commentary from last night about Aberdeen now unlikely to get 3rd place? Did anyone think this was realistic? Was there some outrageous claim from Robson? I could understand a narrative around Aberdeen getting into the top 6, but seriously 3rd place??

2 hours ago, Dooj said:

I may have missed something, but why was so much of the reporting/commentary from last night about Aberdeen now unlikely to get 3rd place? Did anyone think this was realistic? Was there some outrageous claim from Robson? I could understand a narrative around Aberdeen getting into the top 6, but seriously 3rd place??

I think it's fair enough. With games in hand last night they were on course to get to 5 points behind Hearts and they play us at Tynecastle on Saturday.

A win last night and on Saturday and suddenly it would be on.

As it stands, you get the feeling they now need to win at Tynecastle to have a realistic chance. That, plus winning all games in hand, would leave them 4 behind Hearts. Not undoable.

4 hours ago, Dooj said:

Up until last night, we definitely had a chance by winning all our games in hand. We haven’t, so now we don’t.

6 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Not sure he was excellent. 

But if anyone is to blame, it’s rob maclean. He stated after about 20 minutes that Dante never gives the ball away. It raised my eyebrows at the time but became laughable as the half went on. 

The boy Phillips just did him for strength 3 or 4 times and it was a bit humiliating. 

I stand by my excellent. Don’t think he gave the ball away once in the first part of the game, didn’t get caught in possession and had our one shot on target, a more than decent one, of the half. Then did the exact opposite for the remainder of the half.

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

I stand by my excellent. Don’t think he gave the ball away once in the first part of the game, didn’t get caught in possession and had our one shot on target, a more than decent one, of the half. Then did the exact opposite for the remainder of the half.

Well, I don’t have the energy to argue you down to ‘quite good’. 

14 hours ago, Jute said:

Have to agree. It’s being used to re referee games and not for clear and obvious errors. It’s putting me off attending games. 

As for last night we didn’t deserve anything from the game and so point is a bonus. Any manager that thinks Polvara should be starting games for Aberdeen really needs to be looking for alternative employment. 

Correlation doesn’t equal causation but our record when he’s been on the pitch is incredible. In games he’s started, we’ve only lost to Celtic x2, Frankfurt (he scored) and PAOK (he scored and was taken off at 2-0 up). We’ve also gone onto win vs Hibs and Hearts after he came off the bench.

12 hours ago, Fife Saint said:

Shut yer puss, Jeemie, the adults are talking.

If yir gonna tell me to shut my pus , then please get it right it’s pus not puss is in pussy cat , go put puss in the your status and you’ll get 🐈‍⬛ you moron , pet hate of mines puss when  you mean pus , if you have pus coming out a boil it’s pus not puss , now go and take your pus for shite 

12 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Up until last night, we definitely had a chance by winning all our games in hand. We haven’t, so now we don’t.

yeah, I can do the maths but where did this idea come from that there was any prospect of Aberdeen winning all their games in hand? This just seems implausible for a team that is clearly struggling for consistency. It's not as if they are coming off the back of 20 consecutive wins.

18 hours ago, Dooj said:

They finished 3rd from a worse position last season.

18 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

They finished 3rd from a worse position last season.

I think Kilmarnock are probably the only remaining threat to a bang average Hearts side finishing 3rd.

AFC remain jekyll and hyde (at best) and a mile off going on that winning run that we did from Feb-Apr last season.

Hearts turning round that 2 goal deficit puts them almost out of sight now, and that will likely be cemented tomorrow - with both cheeks to follow for us shortly after on the back of yet another midweeker.  Right now it feels like avoiding the play-off position is as a big a priority than any loftier ambitions to at least get one of the Euro qualifier slots.