Raith Rovers v's Airdrie 03/02

16 hours ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

Really looking forward to a semi under Friday night lights to shake off the January blues.

Unless a “semi” is a new nickname for a large bottle of beer, I’m not as sanguine.

Our form has been terrible, and while we could have argued for decent effort with poor results for most of January, the last match was a kick in the jewels. There has to be an open question of how we select the team sheet for this match. Is the cup football helping or hindering the push in the league (I’d argue hindering) and thus should it be the strongest team or the team most in need of playing time.

Meanwhile, Airdrie come in with a decent run of form and the confidence from having already done us this season.

I have no idea how this will play out.

Obviously we're ahead on the head-to-head with Raith this season, but the games have been tight and regardless of Raith's current form this will be a tough game.  Megwa was superb for us in the last game against Raith and is no longer with us*. Gabby McGill is certainly out and I don't know if Calum Gallagher, who didn't make the bench yesterday, will be an option.  Add that to the long-term injuries to Ballantyne and Aiken and we've not got a lot on hand to change the game up, much less make replacements for any further injuries we might pick up in the game itself.  Todorov was clearly gubbed well before the end against Thistle, and if Gal's not available we'll presumably need him to put in another 90 minute - or indeed 120 minute - shift against Raith. 

Obviously we've every reason to be confident, but anyone expecting Airdrie to win by default because of the game a couple of weeks ago is getting ahead of themselves.

* i.e. he's gone to back Hibs.  He's no deid.

2 hours ago, A Diamond For Me said:

Obviously we're ahead on the head-to-head with Raith this season, but the games have been tight and regardless of Raith's current form this will be a tough game.  Megwa was superb for us in the last game against Raith and is no longer with us*. Gabby McGill is certainly out and I don't know if Calum Gallagher, who didn't make the bench yesterday, will be an option.  Add that to the long-term injuries to Ballantyne and Aiken and we've not got a lot on hand to change the game up, much less make replacements for any further injuries we might pick up in the game itself.  Todorov was clearly gubbed well before the end against Thistle, and if Gal's not available we'll presumably need him to put in another 90 minute - or indeed 120 minute - shift against Raith. 

Obviously we've every reason to be confident, but anyone expecting Airdrie to win by default because of the game a couple of weeks ago is getting ahead of themselves.

* i.e. he's gone to back Hibs.  He's no deid.

Why did Megwa return to Hibs? He was destroying with you, surely more time would have helped him rather than back to Hibs…not that I’m complaining.

Interesting game that I’ll miss unfortunately. We’re on a good run just now but have plenty of important players injured just now. Our bench was very weak yesterday and will possibly be even weaker for this with Lyall cup-tied, so hopefully some good news on the injury front this week or maybe even a signing. 

Intrigued to see what Raith do. They’ve yet to get the better of us and are on a poor run. Seems like they’ve been trying to play Murrayball from the start recently, with barely any defenders playing, but he should know by now it doesn’t work like that, you need the chaos factor changing to that mid-game brings. Interesting to see if Raith go back to basics as a result or if Murray completely overthinks his lineup. 

Hibs recalled Megwa when they got back from their break in Dubai.  I suppose Montgomery wanted a proper look at him and liked what he saw.  He's started both of their games since (vs. Rangers and Killie), so much as we'd have liked to have kept him it looks like Montgomery thinks he's ready to play at that level already. 

Edited by A Diamond For Me

Although Raith have had a terrible January whilst it's been the complete opposite for us our squad is looking rather threadbare with a pretty inexperienced bench. I don't think Megwa would have been available for this game even had he not been recalled by Hibs as I believe he played for Hibs B in an earlier round. I'm sure Hamilton would gladly have handed this trophy back for a place in the Championship, so although the cup final would be an enjoyable day out I'd not be fussed were we to exit at this stage injury free.

Genuinely don't know what to expect from this one.  We were actually playing well on Saturday until Caley remembered that we can't defend and cut us open with a through ball.

I'd be tempted to give Ross Matthews a start to get more minutes into him.  Wouldn't have Watson anywhere near this unless he's 100% fit.  He'll be very important for the rest of the league campaign if we can get/keep him fit so absolutely not worth the risk for the cup.  I'd also consider giving Hannah a significant runout in this too.

I'm usually pretty optimistic but struggling to see a Rovers win from this.  I really hope I'm wrong as, diddy cup or not, getting to a final should be a massive boost to the squad.

10 hours ago, Caro-Kann said:

Although Raith have had a terrible January whilst it's been the complete opposite for us our squad is looking rather threadbare with a pretty inexperienced bench. I don't think Megwa would have been available for this game even had he not been recalled by Hibs as I believe he played for Hibs B in an earlier round. I'm sure Hamilton would gladly have handed this trophy back for a place in the Championship, so although the cup final would be an enjoyable day out I'd not be fussed were we to exit at this stage injury free.

Lucky enough to have been at 3 of the finals. Beating QoS at your patch was a good day out but not nearly as good as beating Rangers at Easter Road, just don't mention last years final.

Like you I just want the team to get through injury free and if we progress then it a wee bonus.

13 hours ago, A Diamond For Me said:

Hibs recalled Megwa when they got back from their break in Dubai.  I suppose Montgomery wanted a proper look at him and liked what he saw.  He's started both of their games since (vs. Rangers and Killie), so much as we'd have liked to have kept him it looks like Montgomery thinks he's ready to play at that level already. 

Might be back at Airdrie mind you after his defending at the weekend.

Planning to go to the match and given all our current missing players,( Raith in a similar position)I can't see both sides finding this anything but a tough outing.

But given how much I'd like to see us continue the troubles of Ian Murray, I hope we put in a big shift.

Raith are on a right weird run after doing so well so I have no idea how it will pan out. Maybe the singing section will give Raith a boost.

Most of us have  been critical of the competition changes over the last years but I suppose a final is still worth a shot at.

I’d like to see us go a bit back to basics here, play the formation we’ve gone with for most of the season (4-1-3-2). Something like:

Dabrowski

Millen - Watson - Murray - Dick

Brown

Mullin - Turner - Easton

Rudden - Vaughan

Though I’m very tempted to give Callum Hannah a start, in for Dick, get a real look at what he can offer.

Edited by Enigma

18 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Planning to go to the match and given all our current missing players,( Raith in a similar position)I can't see both sides finding this anything but a tough outing.

But given how much I'd like to see us continue the troubles of Ian Murray, I hope we put in a big shift.

Raith are on a right weird run after doing so well so I have no idea how it will pan out. Maybe the singing section will give Raith a boost.

Most of us have  been critical of the competition changes over the last years but I suppose a final is still worth a shot at.

It used to be a great tournament, but it's a long time since I've really felt any excitement about it.  Partially that's the stupid changes to its format, but it's also probably partially because we've barely kicked a ball in it since we last won it 16 years ago.  The league's obviously the bigger priority but clubs like Airdrie win previous little silverware, and there are kids in high school now who have never seen us win anything, so I hope we can do this so they can enjoy it like  I enjoyed our wins in 2000 and 2001 as much as for whatever prize money there is.

Can't make it through to the game itself, so will be watching it on Alba.

10 hours ago, A Diamond For Me said:

It used to be a great tournament, but it's a long time since I've really felt any excitement about it.  Partially that's the stupid changes to its format, but it's also probably partially because we've barely kicked a ball in it since we last won it 16 years ago.  The league's obviously the bigger priority but clubs like Airdrie win previous little silverware, and there are kids in high school now who have never seen us win anything, so I hope we can do this so they can enjoy it like  I enjoyed our wins in 2000 and 2001 as much as for whatever prize money there is.

Can't make it through to the game itself, so will be watching it on Alba.

Same and one of the reasons i,m unlikely to be there on Friday

Edited by Rovers_Lad

Get back to basics with the formation. Rotate the squad slightly, with a focus on getting players in at their natural positions.

Could easily go either way, regards the result, but that's no surprise.

Would like to see Rovers make another final. Won't lose a minute's sleep if they're out come bed time Friday.