Raith Rovers v's Airdrie 03/02

Watching the goal again the defending, or lack of, from the number 5 is incredible. Retreats to stand in front of his goalie to block his view, then walks about flat footed completely oblivious that a 6 foot 5 striker is standing in 5 yards of space to his left. His body language would make you think the ball was at the other end of the pitch, not bouncing around the box.

I thought it was really interesting that the three players we were desperate to hold on to were the three players that Murray hooked in the second half. 

While watching a game supporters focus on what their own team are doing and see the rushed passes and poor decisions made and conclude that their team is not playing well. The other side of the game is less noticeable but it is the Airdrie players that are playing a system of closing down the space and making the other team rush and disrupting their nice free flowing football. So credit is due to the way Airdrie have learned to stop the other team playing. We have done it to St Johnstone, Thistle and Raith Rovers a couple of times in recent weeks and it is not luck we have been unbeaten in 7 games losing only 2 goals. It is good coaching by Rhys McCabe and application by the "young and enthusiastic" team.

Interesting stat that RR have scored in every game except  three.... the three they played Airdrie. Does last night make it 4 ?

About 20 minutes into the game last night I was confident we'd win because Easton was already starting to drop deep into his own half to get the ball. Whenever he did that for Airdrie he was totally ineffective, he doesn't have the attributes to drop deep and dictate play and get around the park. He's brilliant within 30 yards of the opposition goal in tight spaces but anywhere else on the pitch he slows things down, doesn't have the range of passing and he removes himself from the area where he is actually a threat. Raith's lack of a proper midfield base meant he kept going back to get the ball when really he should be staying higher and the ball getting played through to him. I watched Murray's interview on Open Goal and he said that sometimes you just need to let players like him go where they want, that might be true within the attacking third but just letting him roam round the pitch isn't going to get the best from him.

I had thought it would be a tough game for both sides but the early goal and Raith's weird run of poor form, made it surprisingly relaxed for almost all of the game.

Todororov and the pacy McGregor had those two centre backs always likely to be bossed and but for Dabrowski it would have been a heavier defeat.

However it was the Airdrie pressing of the midfield which controlled much of the game. 

I have no dislike of Raith fans, and while it's good to see us reverse those runs of defeats over recent years, some moans about the ref and time wasting etc are just deflections from another poor show.

Our fans should also not get carried away. I also can't stand "the Rangers" nor the other bunch.

1 hour ago, Halbeath Raith Rover said:

Worst bit about this is Todorov was waiting for what seemed like an age in all that space.

You're right and I needed several viewings to see where Todororov had been when Airdrie sprung that attack by McGregor. It does look that Easton forgets Todororov is there. It was a lovely spot by Telfer who has been really good over this season. No doubt I'll keep watching it but understand if you don't. Cheers 

9 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

I have no dislike of Raith fans, and while it's good to see us reverse those runs of defeats over recent years, some moans about the ref and time wasting etc are just deflections from another poor show.

Our fans should also not get carried away. I also can't stand "the Rangers" nor the other bunch.

No complaints from me about who won , you guys were clearly the better team. My only minor gripe would be Rae at the final whistle standing for about 30 seconds with his hands cupping his ears facing the Rovers fans. If it were me I’d be off celebrating with my own fans.

12 minutes ago, mrpaddyx said:

No complaints from me about who won , you guys were clearly the better team. My only minor gripe would be Rae at the final whistle standing for about 30 seconds with his hands cupping his ears facing the Rovers fans. If it were me I’d be off celebrating with my own fans.

See if that's a gripe for you mate, with the greatest of respect, get a grip. Keepers with fans behind their back in a game, 100% get abuse at ANY game at any level. See if the supporters can dish it out for 45mins, they can take it back for 30 seconds.

I've had plenty verbals over the years with players and managers, Alan Maitland once wanted me lifted and thrown out the ground, but I've been clamped plenty when said player or manager gets a result! That's why we go every week!

51 minutes ago, mrpaddyx said:

Obviously I didn't see that and it's not needed but maybe he'd been getting stick at that end. Like many goalies he's clever at eking out time and I get how annoying it is, if it's not your team. Falkirk have just made my night however! 

19 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Obviously I didn't see that and it's not needed but maybe he'd been getting stick at that end. Like many goalies he's clever at eking out time and I get how annoying it is, if it's not your team. Falkirk have just made my night however! 

He appears to be a really good goalie , especially with his feet. 

Yeah, it’s going to be an interesting final. Hopefully the Scottish team wins. 

22 hours ago, A Diamond For Me said:

image.jpeg.a77aa638db5c6bd2e2aa060f17289ee5.jpeg

Lovely pass from Telfer and a belter of a finish from Todorov, but that is utterly shameful defending. 

It's not even just the fact that Todorov is in acres of space, but we have SEVEN players and a keeper in one half of the box defending four Airdrie players. I am sure every Rovers fan watching on TV or at the ground was literally screaming to get him covered. Airdrie's formation was also nothing special, but they keep it - it is overtly obvious from that image that the discipline in formation was a major advantage for Airdrie.

There is a lack of discipline in our team - you could see that not only from the formation but the behaviour of some of the players. This needs to be worked on. I do feel a bit for Murray because the issues seem more psychological than anything. You look back to that amazing goal by the Arbroath keeper which seems to be at the heart of all this. Could the loss and subsequent media coverage have been the start of the fall?

One additional thing though... at least we weren't beaten 5-0 at home by Morton.

Again, well done airdrie. No sour grapes... it was a more than deserved win. I'm just really frustrated by our performance. 

1 hour ago, chris1883 said:

It's not even just the fact that Todorov is in acres of space, but we have SEVEN players and a keeper in one half of the box defending four Airdrie players. I am sure every Rovers fan watching on TV or at the ground was literally screaming to get him covered. Airdrie's formation was also nothing special, but they keep it - it is overtly obvious from that image that the discipline in formation was a major advantage for Airdrie.

There is a lack of discipline in our team - you could see that not only from the formation but the behaviour of some of the players. This needs to be worked on. I do feel a bit for Murray because the issues seem more psychological than anything. You look back to that amazing goal by the Arbroath keeper which seems to be at the heart of all this. Could the loss and subsequent media coverage have been the start of the fall?

One additional thing though... at least we weren't beaten 5-0 at home by Morton.

Again, well done airdrie. No sour grapes... it was a more than deserved win. I'm just really frustrated by our performance. 

I would be immensely frustrated in your shoes as well.  Murray has clearly learnt nothing at all from the game just a couple of weeks ago that was almost exactly like this one.

Carlisle would be a great day out for the final, but can't see the authorities sanctioning it.

All the best to Airdrie in the final. Yes, they wasted time on Friday, just as we did when we were winning at Tannadice, and yes, Colin Steven is a detestable apology for a human being, but the team who out fought and out thought their opponents on Friday are the team who'll deservedly play in the final.