Motherwell v Kilmarnock: The KVV Derby

I was correct with my shite fest prediction just a shame it wis a draw. Dunno if the conditions were a part of it but i wasn’t particularly impressed with Killie considering they are easily a top 6 team this season. The amount of diving was really surprising 🤨. Kev coming on and doing f**k all apart from getting booked was good for me. Him trying tae bully Mugabi was funny 😄 

KVV is by no means fat……but it’s not the same lean scoring machine of 7 or 8 months ago. Might take a good few weeks until he is capable of a full 90 which makes the estimated wages spent that bit more of a gamble. In saying that I hope he cracks in a few on Tuesday night.

Beyond that he’s a Killie player now and anything he does that doesn’t help us I couldn’t care less about.

I enjoyed the game today. Thought we shaded it and was happy with the fight. Kelly got it snug from someone in the Main Stand after we went 1-0 down. He looked but he did well not to react. Maybe he tried to keep playing at the halfway line to keep out the guys way.

Some ball by Spittal and finish by Bair. Was impressed by the shift Paton put in as well.

Edited by Quatermass

Bair was class today, I actually think he plays better without a strike partner and having the attacking midfielders behind him for support.   

I liked the Sod and Mugabi experiment today, Sod had some of his best attacking play today. Even Mugabi was getting up and putting crosses in and making his presence felt in the box. 

I think the first half for the most part Killie were the better team apart from the tail end when we got a good goal and brought ourselves level. 

Second half for the majority of it I felt we were better and had some really good touches and attacking play. We seemed to finally have some understanding up front and that clicked today. 

Thoroughly enjoyed the game but need to find the answer to these draws. 

Just now, Ill Ray said:

Bair was class today, I actually think he plays better without a strike partner and having the attacking midfielders behind him for support.   

I liked the Sod and Mugabi experiment today, Sod had some of his best attacking play today. Even Mugabi was getting up and putting crosses in and making his presence felt in the box. 

I think the first half for the most part Killie were the better team apart from the tail end when we got a good goal and brought ourselves level. 

Second half for the majority of it I felt we were better and had some really good touches and attacking play. We seemed to finally have some understanding up front and that clicked today. 

Thoroughly enjoyed the game but need to find the answer to these draws. 

Very good sum up of the game. Bair was class 👏🏻. Killie weren’t sure what to do with Mugabi playing wing back and I understand their confusion cause I didn’t get it either but it worked 🤷‍♂️

Just watched sportscene, Joe Wright was extremely lucky to stay on the park. Absolutely pole axed Paton.

I'd also liked to have seen the challenge on spittal again. There looked like some contact in the one replay we seen, hard to say if it was enough to go down though. 

22 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I would be disappointed with any fan who didn't boo someone in those circumstances.

Polworth must be a bit disappointed that he didn’t get it tight. I didn’t give a shit when he touched the ball but i had a good laugh when Kev got his yellow. Hopefully we don’t do something stupid like finishing top 6 and we have to see Kev  again 

Edited by D-Fens Foster

33 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

I'd also liked to have seen the challenge on spittal again. There looked like some contact in the one replay we seen, hard to say if it was enough to go down though. 

Spittal was absolutely looking for it, doing that bit of just getting there and seeking contact, so I'd have laughed all the way home had it been given.

1 hour ago, Allroy for Prez said:

Please tell me Motherwell fans didn’t boo Van Veen?!?!

Half-heartedly personally, but a rousing chorus of "Kevin, get tae f**k!" at his yellow card from Block E and adjacent.. More at a relief he didn't score than any malice. Now we probably don't have to see him at Fir Park in an away strip for at least 6 months I can get back to loving him again.

Mugabi likes his random wandering up field with the ball and instead of trying to talk him out of it, it seems as though Kettlewell has chosen to direct it and instead of like a headless chicken he looked purposeful and it worked a bit. Thought Gent had a good game too, maybe especially in the first 5-10mins. Davor ok but would've preferred Paton off instead, and 10mins earlier... but I'm feeling positive after that 2nd half so let's end on a high note ; FEED THE BAIR! 🐻 

Thought the conditions played a large part in a scrappy affair.

Motherwell certainly the better side from around the half hour mark until around the last 15 minutes or so, when we finally realised that we were outmuscled in the middle of the park, with only David Watson effectively in there to try and win the ball (not one of Polworth's strengths).

Things improved when McKenzie and Stewart came on to add a bit more bite in the middle.

Bair a handful all afternoon, and also thought Spittal was very good.

Overall, a draw felt about right on the balance of the while game.

I didn't think the wind had been particularly affected the game until a point in the second half when Gent headed the ball out of the box, the wind blew back it back in, past Kelly and everyone else causing chaos. We'd had the upper hand at the start of the second half but this seemed to give Killie (and their fans) a boost and we looked very nervous at balls into the box afterwards. 

I thought Killie were really poor tbh. A shadow of the team that played brilliantly in the first half at Fir Park earlier on in the season.

A good skill to not play your best and pick up points to be fair to them. 

7 hours ago, Gianfranco said:

I thought Killie were really poor tbh. A shadow of the team that played brilliantly in the first half at Fir Park earlier on in the season.

A good skill to not play your best and pick up points to be fair to them. 

I didn't think Killie were particularly poor tbh - I thought we just did a good job on them.

Kind of echoing @thisGRAEME's post on our thread but Killie have very specific threats and it's often the case that good wide players can get a fair bit of joy playing against a back three with the space in behind the wing backs but the way we set up with SOD and Bevis (hilariously but effectively) interchanging on one side and McGinn and Gent on the other we not only smothered them but actually shut them down to the point that they spent a good chunk of the game forced into playing in areas they didn't want to be.

Following on from the St Johnstone game the other week yesterday felt like another game where we actually had a lot of control in a way that we definitely didn't when we were chaosballing our way to points/draws earlier in the season.

18 hours ago, Cedrics Mighty Well Army said:

Interesting playing position for Mugabe.

14 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Also the O'Donnell-Mugabi interchangability on the right was fun tbh. The poor man's Tierney-Robertson.

Of course it only makes our signings even more curious.

Said this at the game Bevis was effectively our poor man's version of K Tierney with his overlapping centre half role.

It was great to watch, I just think he's brilliant to watch hammering forward. Hilarious man.

15 hours ago, Neil86 said:

Just watched sportscene, Joe Wright was extremely lucky to stay on the park. Absolutely pole axed Paton.

That was a shocker! Did he even get booked? Mind there was a Killie fan that said McGinn’s broken cheekbone was his own fault? 😂 

I think the general consensus here is 'Well fans are happier with the point than we are. We played nowhere near our potential, plus injuries and suspensions don't help, meaning our midfield was light and defence down to the bare bones. 

4 hours ago, Allroy for Prez said:

That was a shocker! Did he even get booked? Mind there was a Killie fan that said McGinn’s broken cheekbone was his own fault? 😂 

He didn't, got booked later though.

Obviously, if he was already on a booking he might not have made the foul later. Doesn't take away how much of a shitebag tackle the first one was though. 

4 hours ago, Fide said:

I think the general consensus here is 'Well fans are happier with the point than we are. We played nowhere near our potential, plus injuries and suspensions don't help, meaning our midfield was light and defence down to the bare bones. 

Far from it. It’s two points dropped for us. We deserved the 3 pts IMO. We also have a substantial injury list and a smaller squad but whilst a point is a point I’m far from happy with it against what wasn’t a great Killie side.