Queens v Hamilton

24 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Not sure of the rules tbh but most clubs wont allow loan players to play against them so I didn't expect him to feature today. Going by the reviews I'm guessing we'll be hoping we played Accies every week...

Bartley saying in the post match interview that Mumbongo has the potential to be one of the best strikers in the whole of Scotland.  🤔

25 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Pretty sure it used to be up to the parent club if a loan player was allowed to play against them but now think it's actual rule that they can't play. 

This. Its been a rule for a few seasons that loan players cant play against their parent club

I have a lot of time for QOS,know a few fans/Club Officials and they are a good bunch but that home record must be as bad as us in the top League under Martin Canning/Brian Rice.

At half-time I thought if we raised it 20% we could get goals and so it proved.

I’m a critic of Rankin but he got it spot on today apart from the last few subs who should have got a bit more game time which is a minor quibble at the end of the day.

For 20+ plus minutes Jake Hastie was back to the player he was 4 years ago although fitness is obviously an issue.

The midfield Diamond of Kyle McDonald,Jamie Barjonas and new signing Jake Davidson were really good and it will be interesting to see who drops out for Ben Williamson and eventually Scott Martin.

Once the second goal went in you could see the confidence coming back to a team who have been panicky in recent weeks and this bodes well for the games ahead.

9 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

"First half - I thought the boys were brilliant".

Is Bartley genuinely deluded, or just contemptuous enough of us to think that he can come out with any old crap and it won't matter?  

I genuinely think Bartley considers us to be footballing dinosaurs who haven’t quite got up to speed with the way the modern game needs to be played!

Just listened to another of his mind numbing podcasts. These extensive training ground game plans that are supposedly devised before the next match are certainly worth waiting for. We can barely get a shot on target in 90 minutes and have so little concerted pressure on the opposition that even corners are a rarity.

We are supposedly in for an exciting time if big Joel clicks - well let’s hope so because excitement is not a word in my footballing vocabulary at present. 

15 hours ago, Owsley 2 said:

For Ian earlier to justify it with "Queen's could've been ahead", do you think we should dominate for the full match and the other team never gets near our goal? 

No of course teams are going to have chances but we were nowhere near good enough in the first half yesterday apart from us hitting the bar I can't remember us creating anything else in that first half. QOTS would have been ahead of it wasn't for Jamie making a couple of good saves and Fergus being outstanding once again. Second half was much better and we deserved the 3 points in the end. 

19 hours ago, Slipmat said:

Bartley saying in the post match interview that Mumbongo has the potential to be one of the best strikers in the whole of Scotland.  🤔

Has Bartley been drinking the furniture polish again. Mumbongo would not even be the best striker at QOS

6 hours ago, Ian Mcleod said:

No of course teams are going to have chances but we were nowhere near good enough in the first half yesterday apart from us hitting the bar I can't remember us creating anything else in that first half. QOTS would have been ahead of it wasn't for Jamie making a couple of good saves and Fergus being outstanding once again. Second half was much better and we deserved the 3 points in the end. 

Agreed a deserved win overall but Connelly missed a couple of chances first half when he skied the ball over when well placed. We were ok for about the first 10 minutes of the game then it was basically trying to hit on the break. Reilly and Cochrane coming on second half gave us another (brief) decent spell but at times it was like a training game for Hamilton. 

It wasn’t great was it?

No excuse to set up as if we are the away side. The lack of ambition is a worry, with a large - if rather unbalanced - full time squad we should be offering better. Note the step up in tempo, albeit too late at 0-2 down, with an extra attacker on the pitch. No complaints about effort though.
On the plus side Kyle Doherty absolutely worked his socks off up front with no service and very little support. As a minus we need to be hugely better at keeping the ball - it was an issue throughout but Harry Cochrane’s little cameo at the end summed it up with passes to the opposition and being caught in possession. In fairness he’s probably not match fit and maybe unfair to single out individuals in a poor team performance.

Hamilton were proficient but not outstanding opposition. I don’t think they were worked anywhere near hard enough for the three points.

On 03/02/2024 at 20:31, bod said:

Well there you go, I agree with your post except to add, with a new manager!

I think he may have run out of ideas but they won’t make a decision on the future until summer is my guess. If he gets us to 4th he gets another go if not he is toast. A shame, I like his intellect but in reality we are no better than the shambolic Gibson era

1 hour ago, HighlandQueen said:

I think he may have run out of ideas but they won’t make a decision on the future until summer is my guess. If he gets us to 4th he gets another go if not he is toast. A shame, I like his intellect but in reality we are no better than the shambolic Gibson era

Saturday was another master class from Bartley on how to set up to not attack your opposition.  I have long since came to the conclusion that he is deluded.  I think he will get to the end of the season given that we have little danger of relegation.  Sadly though I think that 4th place is now beyond us.

8 hours ago, HighlandQueen said:

I think that given his contract situation, he'll unfortunately remain at the helm going into next season so long as we don't wind up in the bottom two at the end of this one.

52 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I think that given his contract situation, he'll unfortunately remain at the helm going into next season so long as we don't wind up in the bottom two at the end of this one.

It's this fact that I find most depressing tbh. I know a lot of folk seem to have their hopes set on him being dumped in summer but unless there's something about us getting a massive discount on compensation (and would that be legal/would any manager sign such a thing) I really can't see it happening tbh. 

If there was any signs of progress under MB I wouldn't be arsed but as has been said, he seems to be getting more deluded each week. 

The trouble with post match club interviews is that we know what the manager's not going to say.  For instance he'll not say: it's all down to me, it's my poor recruitment, it's building a squad on quantity not quality, it's my lack of tactical awareness, it's my inability to set the team up in a positive attacking manner (especially at home where we want to entertain/attract our own fans), it's my uber obsession with sports science stats and planning, it's my inability to read the game from the sidelines and to make changes to set up and to influence the course of the game via appropriate and timely substitutions, it's that I can't suitably motivate the team, it's that we should be ashamed that we are where we are in this league with a FT squad, I fully realise that it's the type of performance and lack of match ambition that's behind the dwindling attendances, it's that I don't know what I'm doing and that I'm amazed that the BOD haven't shown me the door yet.

So remove all of that from the script and ... we get the interviews that we get.  To be fair, you can hardly expect the guy to say all or any of the above.  So the interviews are a waste of time ... as is this season.  Fair play to Sandra for doing them though, I'm sure she's a nice person.  Like most on here, I really wanted Marvin to do well but it's just not working.

Now, a post match interview with the Chairman, that would be a tad more interesting to hear what he thinks of it all ...

Edited by Otis Blue

4 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

The trouble with post match club interviews is that we know what the manager's not going to say.  For instance he'll not say: it's all down to me, it's my poor recruitment, it's building a squad on quantity not quality, it's my lack of tactical awareness, it's my inability to set the team up in a positive attacking manner (especially at home where we want to entertain/attract our own fans), it's my uber obsession with sports science stats and planning, it's my inability to read the game from the sidelines and to make changes to set up and to influence the course of the game via appropriate and timely substitutions, it's that I can't suitably motivate the team, it's that we should be ashamed that we are where we are in this league with a FT squad, I fully realise that it's the type of performance and lack of match ambition that's behind the dwindling attendances, it's that I don't know what I'm doing and that I'm amazed that the BOD haven't shown me the door yet.

So remove all of that from the script and ... we get the interviews that we get.  To be fair, you can hardly expect the guy to say all or any of the above.  So the interviews are a waste of time ... as is this season.  Fair play to Sandra for doing them though, I'm sure she's a nice person.  Like most on here, I really wanted Marvin to do well but it's just not working.

Now, a post match interview with the Chairman, that would be a tad more interesting to hear what he thinks of it all ...

That's a really good post, Otis.

I think what's most frustrating about Bartley's interviews is his tendency to say "the buck stops with me" or words to that effect before immediately launching into a detailed critique of individual errors made by players (usually the same ones) that have cost us, or how the team haven't played to "the gameplan" (although it is often hard to know what that is).  Strangely, he rarely compliments any individual who has played particularly well, although to be fair that's a rare occurance.  Also his growing references to good chances that we never had, or attacking football which never happened are becoming irksome.

To be honest, the only reason I've watched recent interviews is because he has given some injury updates, so I guess I should really just skip the first four minutes of waffle to save on cringe.

I suppose, in a scramble for positivity regarding the interviews, we've just got to be thankful he isn't Derek Adams.