The A9 Derby, Stags vs Saints

5 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

I really didn’t like the look of the midfield against Airdrie but I think today’s might be worse. 

Only one midfielder on the bench too - and 5 strikers. 

Can assume Phillips and Smith are injured and that Levein really, really doesn't rate Sprangler. 

2 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

At a guess:

Mitov

Keltjens McGown Considine Robinson TG

Franz     Max    C Smith 

Carey

Kimpioka

I wouldn't trust that midfield defensively at all.

Something Levein said last week after Motherwell also rings bells with this kind of powder puff looking line up. He said we’re not a win the second ball type of team. So I’m thinking he’s not picking a combative player like Sven because it’s not the style he envisages. 

This is weird for us because since the Tommy years right through we have always been a second ball, battling type of team. 

Not sure if he’s implying we are a silky football type of team (which we’ve seen zero evidence of obviously) or if that’s what he’s aiming for but that could explain the lightweight team selections.

Edited by Sh*teAndMuck

1 minute ago, nelsjfc said:

Only one midfielder on the bench too - and 5 strikers. 

Can assume Phillips and Smith are injured and that Levein really, really doesn't rate Sprangler. 

He really doesn’t. After Max’s last appearance it’s pretty harsh for Sven to get left out.

Just reading what the Warrington manager has been saying about Sidibeh.. it’s fairly obvious he’s going to destroy this league isn’t it?!!

Can’t wait to see him play.

Sprangler has to be starting here, especially with Smith and Phillips out. Unless we’re playing a shape I can’t see that involves either McGowan or Keltjens in centre midfield we’re liable to get completely overrun.

8 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Sprangler has to be starting here, especially with Smith and Phillips out. Unless we’re playing a shape I can’t see that involves either McGowan or Keltjens in centre midfield we’re liable to get completely overrun.

I wondered about McGowan in centre mid as well but unless it’s a back four with Considine and Robinson at centre backs then I can’t see it.

Levein has always wanted to be a manager who throws youth in, and the fact the midfield three has Max as the most experienced player seems bonkers.

It’s one of them where everyone thinks it has the potential to be a disaster, but you’re hailed as a genius if it comes off.

A complete overrunning in the centre of the park does look a strong possibility though..

10 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I wondered about McGowan in centre mid as well but unless it’s a back four with Considine and Robinson at centre backs then I can’t see it.

Levein has always wanted to be a manager who throws youth in, and the fact the midfield three has Max as the most experienced player seems bonkers.

It’s one of them where everyone thinks it has the potential to be a disaster, but you’re hailed as a genius if it comes off.

A complete overrunning in the centre of the park does look a strong possibility though..

Yup. You’ll never win anything with kids. So we’re told. 
Agree the midfield looks weak as f**k though. 

Been an open game - maybe down to our line up - but entertaining. Lovely to finally have some pace in our side. 

Two bits of quality the difference; the finish from Kimpioka and a great bit of goalkeeping from mitov to stop a tap in.