Nations League Draw (Thursday 5pm)

4 minutes ago, betting competition said:

Scotland opponents all plays at various stadiums. Poland I think will be either Chorzow or Warsaw

I’d quite like to visit Estadio da Luz at some point so, selfishly, I’m hoping we’re there for the Portugal game. 

Can't really ask for a much better draw than that.  Croatia have a habit of bouncing back when they look on the way down but they were really poor in qualifying and they've surely got a transitional phase coming up.

Portugal have some brilliant players, but they are quite flaky at times so you might catch them on an off night.

Will be gutted if we finish below Poland,they looked dire in qualifying

Best group we could have got in the circumstances. An in transition Croatia, a poor Poland and Portugal (who are admittedly really tough).

Potentially the chance for us to play against three of the all time greats in consecutive Hampden fixtures in the competition as well.

9 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

As good a draw as you can hope for really

When are the fixtures played?

Matchday 1: 5-7 Sept 2024.

Matchday 2: 8-10 Sept 2024.

Matchday 3: 10-12 Oct2024.

Matchday 4: 13-15 Oct 2024.

Matchday 5: 14-16 Nov 2024.

Matchday 6: 17-19 Nov 2024.

1 hour ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Hoping Portugal away isn't in September when it's still the English school holidays, other than that will take anything.

English schools go back at the start of September so it's fine. 

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

Just saw Israel’s group.  Almost Scottish in its impossibility.  

I know we got a tough group on paper in the Euro qualifiers, but isn’t it a bit of a myth that Scotland always get seriously difficult draws? I don’t think we’ve been in a proper group of death for anything since the Euro 2008 qualifiers and we got particularly lucky in the playoff draw for Qatar (but proceeded to f**k it up) 

There was never going to be an easy draw at this level, but I think that's as good as we could have hoped for.

World Cup Playoff places up for grabs from this too so finishing 3rd (or even, somehow, 2nd) would be massive.

Looking at League B, the only likely group runner up you'd want to avoid would be Czechia / Ukraine, so absolute NAP that's who we'll get if we finish 3rd.

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

There was never going to be an easy draw at this level, but I think that's as good as we could have hoped for.

World Cup Playoff places up for grabs from this too so finishing 3rd (or even, somehow, 2nd) would be massive.

Looking at League B, the only likely group runner up you'd want to avoid would be Czechia / Ukraine, so absolute NAP that's who we'll get if we finish 3rd.

I think the WC playoff spots go to the best NL group winners who didn’t qualify/make the playoffs the traditional way, not the highest ranked NL teams altogether. 

Czech Republic and Austria got the 2022 World Cup playoff slots as group winners from league B even though Iceland and Bosnia-Herzegovina missed out from league A.

8 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

I think the WC playoff spots go to the best NL group winners who didn’t qualify/make the playoffs the traditional way, not the highest ranked NL teams altogether. 

Czech Republic and Austria got the 2022 World Cup playoff slots as group winners from league B even though Iceland and Bosnia-Herzegovina missed out from league A.

Didn't realise that. Thank you.

Never going to get something easy, but that's about the best you can hope for at this level with Portugal hopefully still stuck with a total fraud of a manager, Poland being a side we can compete with and Croatia hopefully starting to hit a decline if some/all of Modrić, Perisić, Vida, Lovren, Kramarić and Brozović chuck it after the Euros.

I think most folk will be happy enough with that draw. Hopefully, we are going into it on the back of a good Euros too.

Tail up, I reckon we can challenge for the top spot. 

i have to say, I haven’t looked forward to an International year as much as this one for a long time. 

To paraphrase a line from a famous film “It’s brilliant being Scottish”! 😀

Edited by qos_75