Nations League Draw (Thursday 5pm)

5 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

Can you even renew the same seat?

It’s £5 too expensive for each game imo, especially the friendlies.

You can save your favourite seat but it doesn’t guarantee you it, if you’re not fast someone else can nab it I think. I’ve been lucky enough the past few campaigns I’ve been in the same seat or one a couple up. 

Agree re the pricing. The Finland one will be quite good because Euros fever will be rife, but that Northern Ireland one is sheer misery. 

4 hours ago, Pie Of The Month said:

05/09 - Poland (h)
08/09 - Portugal (a)
12/10 - Croatia (a)
15/10 - Portugal (h)
15/11 - Croatia (h)
18/11 - Poland (a)

so home games on a Thurs 5/9 , Tue 15/10 and Fri 15/11

16 hours ago, JS_FFC said:

I know we got a tough group on paper in the Euro qualifiers, but isn’t it a bit of a myth that Scotland always get seriously difficult draws? I don’t think we’ve been in a proper group of death for anything since the Euro 2008 qualifiers and we got particularly lucky in the playoff draw for Qatar (but proceeded to f**k it up) 

I think it's fair to say that we don't always get "seriously difficult" draws, save from Euro 2008.

But I do feel like quite frequently we'll get the Norway from Pot 3 and Georgia from Pot 5 types of teams who are the strongest options in their pots. And I know those are just two examples from the last campaign, but that does feel somewhat of a trend over the years. Especially with the Georgia and Kazakhstan type mobs we often get ahead of inferior teams in the lower pots.

17 hours ago, JS_FFC said:

I know we got a tough group on paper in the Euro qualifiers, but isn’t it a bit of a myth that Scotland always get seriously difficult draws? I don’t think we’ve been in a proper group of death for anything since the Euro 2008 qualifiers and we got particularly lucky in the playoff draw for Qatar (but proceeded to f**k it up) 

I agree. I think it's a bit of a myth and if you studied and compared against other countries over the last 20 years it would reveal our draws are at worst slightly tougher than average. Having not done such research it's just my opinion.

4 hours ago, JS_FFC said:

Had a quick look and typically it takes around 14 points to win the group, 10 to come second and 7 to come third.

To come 3rd we will likely need 4 points off Poland and win one of the other home games.

To come 2nd we will likely need to beat Poland home and away, win one of the other home games and sneak another point somewhere.

To win the group we’d need either 5 wins or 4 wins and 2 draws. 

We won our League B group with 4 wins, 1 draw and 1 defeat. You'd be fairly unlucky not to win a group doing that.

I think we have been pretty spoiled for ticket pricing in recent years and up until last campaign there was a good few Saturdays in there too.

But 30 quid a head for a load of midweek games and 2/5 being dugmeat friendlies isn't very appealing.

Particularly with the ticket for a major finals achievement unlocked. 

I've booked flights for Portugal and Poland. Following the Poland home game, I'll fly to Lisbon the next day, ensuring I have enough time to reach the match venue. The return journey is a bit tight, but the flight is scheduled for late afternoon on Monday. After the Croatia home game, I'll fly to Warsaw the next day, providing ample time to reach the match venue. However, the return on Tuesday morning may be problematic if, by any chance, the match isn't in Warsaw, though it typically is. I've opted not to book for Croatia yet due to their frequent venue changes and uncertainty about transport links. I'll wait until the venue is announced before making any arrangements.

Edited by betting competition

1 hour ago, ScottR96 said:

You can save your favourite seat but it doesn’t guarantee you it, if you’re not fast someone else can nab it I think. I’ve been lucky enough the past few campaigns I’ve been in the same seat or one a couple up. 

Agree re the pricing. The Finland one will be quite good because Euros fever will be rife, but that Northern Ireland one is sheer misery. 

I remember paying £15 for a friendly against NI a few years ago.

Decent group, in a few different ways. We never play Portugal anymore, and Poland have been on a noticeable downturn of late. People keep saying that Croatia are about to fall apart as their star players slip closer towards decrepitude, only for them to almost win the fucking tournament. We've a decent chance of avoiding last place at least, although progression would be a stellar achievement; more so than getting out of a Euros/World Cup opening stage. When you look at the other sides promoted from League B, I think we've got the best chance of not going straight down again.

Elsewhere, nice easy group for England as per, so it'll be hilarious if they f**k it up, while Wales might have got an even easier one. Any of the sides in groups C3 and C4 could end up anywhere in their tables (except maybe Latvia).

10 minutes ago, Menga Bus said:

Anyone know the likely venues for Croatia and Portugal? Or when the venues will be confirmed?

They have up until 120 days before to announce but a lot of FAs ignore the rule.

Croatia is anyone's guess, of their last 10 competitive games 2 have been Zagreb, 3 Osijek, 4 Split and 1 Rijeka. The stadium in Zagreb was damaged back in 2020 by an earthquake but their last competitive match was there so I'm not sure if that means they've sorted it out as the majority of their games were played in Zagreb before that.  Portugal is about 90% going to be in Lisbon or Porto based on their recent competitive games but they do like to move the occasional game and played Spain in Braga.

I wonder when we will get a game at Hampden at the weekend again? I work shifts so can arrange time off during the week but need to wait on my son finishing college, so we end up caught in the rush hour traffic on M876/M80 and M74. I feel sorry for fans travelling from further afield especially with younger children.

Regards the ticket prices, they are slowly creeping up, but as we are selling out most games there must be the demand and compared with what I paid for the recent league cup final it’s still just in my budget. 

It would have been nice if they had reduced prices for the friendlies especially as one is just a week before the Euros and many fans are also shelling out a load of money going over to Germany. They could have done a special price for SSC members.

Showing my age here, but I remember the friendly with Argentina prior to Italia 90 was something like £2 as a thank you to the fans for their support. I can’t remember what normal games at Hampden were costing then, but I was regularly paying around £5 at league games at that time. 

Regardless, I am happy enough with the draw and looking forward to the games. 

1 hour ago, Dunfermline Don said:

Showing my age here, but I remember the friendly with Argentina prior to Italia 90 was something like £2 as a thank you to the fans for their support. I can’t remember what normal games at Hampden were costing then, but I was regularly paying around £5 at league games at that time. 

Yikes.

image.thumb.png.1281b87a1d9f6a16499995a4dc6fbfcc.png

Portugal home during the October school week when I'll likely be abroad, so no point going for the package for me. Not too bothered about the friendlies either at that price, although I'll probably go to the send off against Finland.

5 minutes ago, MazzyStar said:

This must be the most fascist group Scotland has ever been in. 

Go on chief, show your working.

I think Brazil, Yugoslavia, and Zaire were all dictatorships in 1974, if that makes any difference.

10 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Go on chief, show your working.

I think Brazil, Yugoslavia, and Zaire were all dictatorships in 1974, if that makes any difference.

Yugoslavia definitely wasn’t a fascist dictatorship. As for this group, Croats love fascism (which is why they wanted out of Yugoslavia so badly), Poland is probably as close to being fascist as you can be in the EU (or at least it was). Fair enough it’s years since the dictatorship in Portugal but I still wouldn’t trust em. 

Edited by MazzyStar