Nations League Draw (Thursday 5pm)

25 minutes ago, MazzyStar said:

Yugoslavia definitely wasn’t a fascist dictatorship. As for this group, Croats love fascism (which is why they wanted out of Yugoslavia so badly), Poland is probably as close to being fascist as you can be in the EU (or at least it was). Fair enough it’s years since the dictatorship in Portugal but I still wouldn’t trust em. 

I'm gonna be an edgelord here and say that any "communist" dictatorship you'd care to name will have been more fascist than any of the countries we could've been drawn against at this tournament.

But this is definitely one for the Politics forum.

4 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

I remember paying £15 for a friendly against NI a few years ago.

Was at that one as well. 9 years ago now so a bit more than a few 😆

I’m getting old

13 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Slight tangent, but why are Lithuania and Gibraltar not clear which league they're in?

There's 4 groups in League C but only 2 in League D so originally the 4 teams that finished bottom of their groups in League C should have had play-offs with the 2 losers getting relegated and replaced by the 2 League D group winners.

Due to Russia being in League B when the 22/23 draw was made but now being punted out they only needed 1 team to be relegated from League C to ensure both Leagues B and C had 16 teams so the 2 worst placed teams from League C Gibraltar and Lithuania are having a play-off with the winner staying up and the loser being relegated.

Edited by Pie Of The Month

UEFA has jumped the shark with all these playoffs tbh... only 6 sides from 54 don't go up/down/to playoffs this edition:

image.png.32ad91fc6410fdf9a53d99fa7857fd58.png     image.thumb.png.f2497006aa2b08dc3f6bf543a28a0166.png

image.thumb.png.27db4430b8d9566639d9582a6a2aa421.png     image.png.c12f80ef71d8590056fe22baa6b71568.png

Worse still NL playoffs are 2-legged - but playoffs for WC/Euros are 1 tie :lol:!

I don’t really mind the extra promotion/relegation tbh. It allows for a lot more movement and prevents the Nations League becoming stale, with everybody playing the same teams all the time - see also the regionalised League Cup groups. 

Just a pity it’s come into play as soon as we make it to League A. 

Nah, generally half the teams were moving up or down anyway, that's plenty. Scotland drew three from a possible fifteen, that'll take a while to get repetitive even without relegation.

I don't think the constant tinkering helps the fans take it seriously.

I think the introduction of playoffs was to make up for there being fewer games in the WC qualifying.

ETA: it’s mental that there’ll be some groups of four for the qualifying. Teams can qualify having played only six games whilst other confederations have multiple group stages or 18 games in CONMEBOL.

Can hardly call it a ‘campaign’ these days.

Edited by lubo_blaha

How can Israel seriously be allowed to slaughter women and children wholesale yet play at will?

Ukraine routinely bomb busses and marketplaces in Donetsk yet they’re supposed heroes?

Russia who have attempted not to cause collateral damage are totally out?

There is massive hypocrisy at work.

There should either be a ”you’re  at war, you can’t play “ or it should be ignored and everyone gets to play.

*down votes expected due to MSM propaganda 

9 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

ETA: it’s mental that there’ll be some groups of four for the qualifying. Teams can qualify having played only six games whilst other confederations have multiple group stages or 18 games in CONMEBOL.

Can hardly call it a ‘campaign’ these days.

We qualified for two World Cups by playing four qualifiers each time.

I am certainly not pro russia but do find it a wee bit odd that they are banned and a multitude of other countries (ourselves and usa included) haven't been banned for similar crimes. Probably one for the politics forum though. 

Russia invaded a fellow UEFA member and then most of UEFA said they wouldn't play against them again as a result, including their potential opponents in the World Cup play-off, who said they would rather forfeit the game than play. That created a situation where a decision had to be made, and the only plausible choice from that point onwards was to suspend them. The fact they were already on a shoogly peg with their widespread doping across all sports (definitely including football as we saw at first hand in Euro 2020 qualifying) didn't help.

Israel are playing in a different confederation to the nation they have invaded, and there is a more complicated situation at play. If UEFA teams started to refuse to play Israel then we'd probably see something similar happen to them, but unfortunately they currently still have the support of most European nations, and therefore there is no immediate pressure.

Edited by craigkillie

9 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Russia invaded a fellow UEFA member and then most of UEFA said they wouldn't play against them again as a result, including their potential opponents in the World Cup play-off, who said they would rather forfeit the game than play. That created a situation where a decision had to be made, and the only plausible choice from that point onwards was to suspend them. The fact they were already on a shoogly peg with their widespread doping across all sports (definitely including football as we saw at first hand in Euro 2020 qualifying) didn't help.

Israel are playing in a different confederation to the nation they have invaded, and there is a more complicated situation at play. If UEFA teams started to refuse to play Israel then we'd probably see something similar happen to them, but unfortunately they currently still have the support of most European nations, and therefore there is no immediate pressure.

Decent post, and hopefully the end of something I should never have brought up 🤷‍♂️

Edited by MarkoP