Best away day in the Championship.

Best Championship away day  

244 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Voted for us twice just to be a dick.

If I was an away fan Airdrie would be low on my list too to be fair. The good view in the ground is a big plus but other than that it's not a great experience. The couple of decent boozers in town don't really make up for that either. Queens Park is a crap stadium experience but think how many decent eating and drinking establishments there are in a 20 minute walking radius as a comparison.

For best it's hard to look past Arbroath. It ticks all the boxes and even when we lose I don't think I've ever had a "bad day out" there.

Second would be a toss up between Dunfermline and Thistle, the away atmosphere is usually decent in both and I always regard them as traditional league rivals from when I was a kid in the 90s and loved going to both grounds then. Both are also fairly well served with local facilities.

21 hours ago, Wacky said:

9. Inverness. Don’t like the road up coz it’s boring. Don’t like the town, but I did eat in a decent Indian restaurant there, the ground itself isn’t bad but the journey there and back puts me off. 

Well cheers for saying the ground isn't bad when most of us think it's shite.
But if I was going by your logic I would have to put Dunfermline in 9th place Shirley? 😂
It's a bit like the St Mirren fan who said we had a cheek charging for the car park after all the distance they had to come...

Edited by The Mantis

32 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

Well cheers for saying the ground isn't bad when most of us think it's shite.
But if I was going by your logic I would have to put Dunfermline in 9th place Shirley? 😂
It's a bit like the St Mirren fan who said we had a cheek charging for the car park after all the distance they had to come...

You sound upset? 
The only thing I like about Inverness is that it’s the start and finish of the NC500. This means I’ve only ever enjoyed being there four times. I doubt I’ll ever go back. 

1 hour ago, Wacky said:

You sound upset? 
The only thing I like about Inverness is that it’s the start and finish of the NC500. This means I’ve only ever enjoyed being there four times. I doubt I’ll ever go back. 

ground is not great  - and in the middle of nowhere but Inverness is great  - lots of excellent pubs  - been twice & stayed Friday & Saturday both times and had an absolute ball.

As others have said  - it may not be a great away day  - but its a brilliant away weekend

6 hours ago, Wacky said:

You sound upset? 

Nah, it’s a bit sad that you must be upset/seething/raging if you disagree with anybody on p&b, I’m too much of an auld c**t to care anyway... I’m not from Inverness originally and I don’t care much who likes the place. I was simply, gently, pointing out the irony, which seems to have escaped you, that if “the journey there and back puts you off” then it must be as bad for anybody making the reverse trip…

Edited by The Mantis

1 hour ago, The Mantis said:

Nah, it’s a bit sad that you must be upset/seething/raging if you disagree with anybody on p&b, I’m too much of an auld c**t to care anyway... I’m not from Inverness originally and I don’t care much who likes the place. I was simply, gently, pointing out the irony, which seems to have escaped you, that if “the journey there and back puts you off” then it must be as bad for anybody making the reverse trip…

You never know, maybe long, straight, speed restricted camera laden roads is someone’s idea of a braw drive? That trip may be right up their street. 

In reality it's Dunfermline. As a city and birthplace of King's & Queens it is simply basks in its opulent splendour 365 days a year. Yeah there is the odd social misfit and stinky pub toilet, but overall it deserves the endless plaudits cast upon it. 

Inverness is a cowp. 

56 minutes ago, North West said:

In reality it's Dunfermline. As a city and birthplace of King's & Queens it is simply basks in its opulent splendour 365 days a year. Yeah there is the odd social misfit and stinky pub toilet, but overall it deserves the endless plaudits cast upon it. 

Inverness is a cowp. 

Thank you, Mr Leishman.

1 hour ago, North West said:

Inverness is a cowp. 

Obviously not the birthplace of the apostrophe.

Going to ignore United because I can't be objective

1. Arbroath - By a country mile, a great ground, some cracking pubs and very accessible by train. We always take a decent amount through, so it's a bit of a party atmosphere too. I'd argue it's the best in the SPFL.
  2. Dunfermline - I'm basing this on the Steak Bridie and the fact we always play quite well through there. Not as accessible by train but still easy to drive through or get the bus. A good ground as well, so you'll get a good view of the match too.
  3. Raith - Similar to Dunfermline, but a bit easier to get to. It's always absolutely baltic there.
  4. Thistle - Firhill is a bit of an odd ground with its old wooden stand, but it's a nice away trip to Glasgow without the bigotry. The bar inside the main stand is class for a pint and some chips before the game.
  5. Greenock Morton - Cappielow is a classic old school ground, perfect distance from Dundee on the train for a few #cans. Food in the ground is quite good.
  6. Ayr - Somerset - See Cappielow but a wee bit worse. When they finish that new stand, it might be a bit better.
  7. Airdrie - Nothing against it, it's a nice enough ground but it's a bit flatpack and they can't really cope with a sizable away support - they only had one food kiosk open for the game in October. Plus it's in the middle of a residential bit so there's not great pub options.
  8. Queen's Park - I haven't been to Queen's Park at Hampden, but have been to a few Scotland Women's games, and its a pretty terrible viewing experience. It's like being at a reserve match. Hampden is only good when there's 30,000+ there.
  9. Inverness - Hate it as a ground. Miles from the train station, in the middle of nowhere, exposed to the elements but not in a quirky way like Arbroath. Just a bit rubbish. It's a shame as Ross County would probably be top of the Premiership list.
Edited by Ray Patterson

13 minutes ago, Ray Patterson said:

Going to ignore United because I can't be objective

Dunfermline - I'm basing this on the Steak Bridie and the fact we always play quite well through there. Not as accessible by train but still easy to drive through or get the bus. A good ground as well, so you'll get a good view of the match too.

Dunfermline is easily accessible from Dundee. It's one change at Inverkeithing (or a bus from there).

What's pish is that the times seem to have changed. Before you'd get to Inverkeithing from Dundee/Aberdeen and have a 5/10 minute wait for the train to Dunfermline, but now the train to Dunfermline leaves 2 minutes before the north bound train arrives.

Edited by DA Baracus

9 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Dunfermline is easily accessible from Dundee. It's one change at Inverkeithing (or a bus from there).

What's pish is that the times seem to have changed. Before you'd get to Inverkeithing from Dundee/Aberdeen and have a 5/10 minute wait for the train to Dunfermline, but now the train to Dunfermline leaves 2 minutes before the north bound train arrives.

I meant as accessible as Kirkcaldy or Arbroath.

But still a great away day and usually three points too 😉

On 07/02/2024 at 09:48, Comrie said:

Ayr, Arbroath and QP are the best of the three there.

Queens park, are you on drugs. It's probably the worst ground in the league to watch football. Unless your the lucky ones to actually see lesser hampden. 

9 hours ago, foreverarover said:

Queens park, are you on drugs. It's probably the worst ground in the league to watch football. Unless your the lucky ones to actually see lesser hampden. 

Nah, I like the pubs around it. 

Ayr - Possibly my favourite away day in Scottish football. Been fortunate enough to experience Somerset when it’s absolutely packed - Scottish Cup in 2000 and the play-offs last season. We usually travel well to Ayr which adds to the occasion. Love the pubs in the town centre - Wee Windaes, Bridges Bar, Anchor, Central etc Prestwick is also another option for a pub crawl.

Dundee Utd - Dundee is perfect for an away day. No shortage of cracking pubs in the city centre and around the ground. Like Tannadice despite our horrific record there and the pricing.

Morton - Old school ground, bit of needle between the fans, usually entertaining games between us and the excellent train service means you can go to the better pubs around Central, West or even Gourock. 

Inverness - Love the train journey, love the city but the ground is a freezing hovel with no atmosphere.

Airdrie - I don’t actually mind Airdrie. 20 mins in the motor and easy enough to stop for a pint in Chapelhall. Good view of the game and one of the few places where you aren’t ripped off for a pie and a bovril.

Arbroath - Just don’t get the hype for Arbroath. Town centre is dead and the pubs are average. Match experience is spoiled by aggressive, scumbag stewards.

Queens Park - An excuse to visit some excellent southside pubs. That’s all it has going for it.

Dunfermline - Not been for about 15 years. Nice ground, boring away day.

Raith - Kirkcaldy’s a midden.