Wasps v Binos

Very welcome win there from what certainly wasn't a vintage performance. In fact I'd say we were a good bit better in the first half of the Falkirk game in which we ended up getting thumped than we were today. Really struggled to get the ball down and knit things together. But the boys worked hard and the attacking threat in the team means that someone can come up with something even when we aren't playing well. That was the case with Taylor Steven's goal, a really great hit and delighted for him that it came off as he's been going for that one for a while! Fair play to the defence too, wee bit makeshift but pulled off clean sheet. Think I'd still rather see Sutherland further up and Cammy at LB though. 

Stirling worked hard and defended well and might well have deserved a point overall, but let down by a lack of creative threat. 

Alloa will need to be better in the weeks ahead but great win and hopefully we can keep it going on Tuesday night. 

Edited by Waspie

Some questionable decisions from the ref today, Mikos yellow card really harsh since he clearly won the ball.

Kurtis Roberts good again, he's getting much better at using the ball now. I'd like us to try and tie him down with a new contract asap but could see him moving up to full time football.

Thought Stirling were better team first half and we were better second half but overall not a great game of football.

Annan got a good win against Hamilton but hopefully we'll get another 3 points on Tuesday and move into the play off spots

Certainly not a game that will live long in the memory. Both teams were pretty poor and the only difference was an unbelievable goal from Steven but he has had about 10 of them cut in and shots recently and everyone has went over the bar so he was due one.

As a grassroots referee myself im not one to criticise referees but that has to be one of the worst refereeing performance I have seen, loads of absolutely baffling decisions against both teams.

Hopefully an improved performance on Tuesday night where we can go 3rd with a win.

As has been said we have played better , we were just that little bit more incisive than Stirling which made the difference 

3 points more important than the performance of course  .

A better gap from the teams below us now and we can improve on that hopefully on tuesday 

onwards and upwards ..

Edited by Vegetableman

Think we’ve played better and lost this season so a welcome 3 points to be honest. 

Felt Stirling shaded the first half and we were better in the 2nd, but it wasn’t exactly a classic. 

Good job Taylor Steven got so much practice cutting in and shooting last week because the goal was absolutely top drawer. 

A wee word for Miko, another solid performance filling in for Stevie, and good to see it’s not negatively affecting Kurtis Roberts having a different partner in the middle.

Im with others regarding Sutherland, would be getting Cammy back in at left back and pushing Sutherland further forward. 

A win on Tuesday would put us up to the lofty heights of 3rd, not a bad start to Andy’s managerial career. 

Lewis Milne playing in a team with no position for him, absolutely pish 

Why no Josh Cooper 🤔 don't know what he needs to do to get a start,, same goes for Offord,, we looked a bit better when they both came on 

Another disappointing performance, now we are in a dogfight 

Not a classic, especially in the first half.

Could have easily fizzled out for a draw but the one genuine bit of class by Taylor Steven won us the game.

Thought Roberts was our best player today and deserved his man of the match award.

Edited by Magic Hat

33 minutes ago, unitedbino said:

More concerning is the result at NDP. What happened there?!

I noticed Hamilton had equalised and thought ah well at least Annan didn’t win. Then Annan scored. 

I never believed for a minute we were playoff contenders at the top of the table. We largely have the same team as last season, this season was always about consolidation. We have a 7 point cushion over Annan which is handy, but if we want to keep it that way, we need to be creating more chances and that means more game time for a few of the guys who seem to be benched despite clearly offering more attacking threat than a few of the regular starters. 

3 minutes ago, BinoBalls said:

I noticed Hamilton had equalised and thought ah well at least Annan didn’t win. Then Annan scored. 

I never believed for a minute we were playoff contenders at the top of the table. We largely have the same team as last season, this season was always about consolidation. We have a 7 point cushion over Annan which is handy, but if we want to keep it that way, we need to be creating more chances and that means more game time for a few of the guys who seem to be benched despite clearly offering more attacking threat than a few of the regular starters. 

DY is very stubborn when it comes to subs,, never changes anything till at least 60 mins 

What has Cooper got to do to get a start 🤔 

Offord gives us an attacking threat 

Milne offers nothing, absolutely nothing, comes inside every time, defensively incapable, passes the buck, can't tackle, he just doesn't fit in with the team, we have no position for him, 

Interesting game with both midfields cancelling out their opponents. Felt we got a bit better as the first half went on and started to stroke the ball about a little as we led up to the goal, which was excellent. Thereafter, the binos were bossing the game a bit and we hung on. 

Typically for such a match, many passes went astray and a lot of intercepted balls or tackles went to the other side.

Thought we had a lot of good performances in what was a scrappy game. PJ did well and the central defence were ok after some poor touches by Taggs in the first 5 minutes. Sutherland will improve but it might take a while. Good to see Robbo back having a good game after a little uncertainty initially. Midfield all tried hard as did Bobby Wales. Taylor played well and deserved his goal. Shame Ally Roy only got 5 minutes or so and had little chance to shine.

Altogether, a reasonable performance against a side intent on stopping us playing our passing game.

Great win and three points in the derby for us today. Performance wasn't our finest but glad we got over the line. Thought Morgyn Neill was sensational at the back for us again, and a well taken and fantastic finish from Taylor Steven. Thought ref was poor on a few occasions , when Miko was fouled a few times and no foul was given and his stupidly given yellow late on. Big week where if we beat Annan and Cove we can rise to third!

A terrific goal to settle the derby tussle. Probably just about right . 

Not a classic by any manor of means but both teams are different  but defences well on top. Albion will stay up ok I am sure. 

Cannie believe the negativity pre kickoff on here from Albion fans moaning about jack leitch. ? Bloke is the best player they have by a mile and would welcome him at Alloa in a heartbeat. Great player . 

Roberts best for us and great to see Robertson back in an Alloa shirt once again. A player who has never let us down . 

All to play for Mon Alloa 

Edited by Oweny

12 hours ago, Oweny said:

A terrific goal to settle the derby tussle. Probably just about right . 

Not a classic by any manor of means but both teams are different  but defences well on top. Albion will stay up ok I am sure. 

Cannie believe the negativity pre kickoff on here from Albion fans moaning about jack leitch. ? Bloke is the best player they have by a mile and would welcome him at Alloa in a heartbeat. Great player . 

Roberts best for us and great to see Robertson back in an Alloa shirt once again. A player who has never let us down . 

All to play for Mon Alloa 

Agree with both of these points. Kurtis a clear MotM for me yesterday and really good to see Robbo getting a full ninety minutes in, during which he went about his business in his usual quietly effective way. I'm sure he's claiming an assist for Steven's corker of a goal.

I thought the defence looked better with Taggs central, it seemed to allow Morgyn Neill to concentrate on what he does best (attack the ball in the air). I'd be happy if Andy went on Tues with the back four which finished the game.

As others, including the manager, have said it certainly wasn't our best performance, but we got the job done against a decent Stirling team. 

Not sure about a couple of Andy's subs, but he knows the bigger picture better than me. I really like what he says in his post match interviews - who wouldn't want to play for him?

Cove have been sucked back towards ourselves, Montrose et al and so there are now two places to play for. A positive.

Edited by printer

2 hours ago, printer said:

Not sure about a couple of Andy's subs, but he knows the bigger picture better than me. I really like what he says in his post match interviews - who wouldn't want to play for him?

I mentioned this in my programme article this week (which will probably be my last contribution for a while)- I can't recall an Alloa manager who speaks so well after games, win lose or draw.

2 minutes ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

I mentioned this in my programme article this week (which will probably be my last contribution for a while)- I can't recall an Alloa manager who speaks so well after games, win lose or draw.

Jack Ross and Allan Maitland were both articulate, but Andy has that and more. 

I was talking to Kurtis Roberts' Mum and girlfriend at the game yesterday and they said he's loving being at Alloa (as pretty much all players seem to). Andy and the rest of the older players (Taggs, Robbo etc) are a big part of the reason why IMO.