Blue sin bin cards

33 minutes ago, D Angelo Barksdale said:

Why blue ? Orange is surely the obvious colour choice ?

A fucking dreadful idea regardless.

Won't matter here, Scottish refs will have the option of just pointing at their nose.

All this extra added time bullshit and now this, why don’t refs just actually use their yellow cards? Book them for time wasting, doesn’t matter if it’s 5 minutes in or 85, just book them. If a team have their keeper sent off and 6 more guys on yellows after an hour because they’re winning against a bigger club then they’re going to stop doing it. The only “rule” I’d considering taking from rugby is that only the captains or players directly involved in an incident can talk to the ref. 

17 minutes ago, The Golden God said:

All this extra added time bullshit and now this, why don’t refs just actually use their yellow cards? Book them for time wasting, doesn’t matter if it’s 5 minutes in or 85, just book them. If a team have their keeper sent off and 6 more guys on yellows after an hour because they’re winning against a bigger club then they’re going to stop doing it. The only “rule” I’d considering taking from rugby is that only the captains or players directly involved in an incident can talk to the ref. 

Agreed. If the refs aren't applying the rules as they stand to hand out yellows for dissent etc then why would they use these pishy blue cards? If they do start using these blue cards then why didn't they just give yellows before anyway?

Also, will it apply to goalkeepers? If it does, they'd likely have to have the additional punishment of using up two subs as well as playing with ten players for ten minutes. If it doesn't apply to goalkeepers then it's unfair, too...

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

It’s not a bad idea IMO given the amount of fouls that seem to be right on the line between yellow and red card, and, more ridiculously, the fact that most referees seem to have a higher threshold for a second yellow to an already booked player than they would for a standard yellow card.

Very often we see a referee bottle giving a second yellow for a foul that would absolutely have warranted a yellow card to anyone else. 

This will never go any further than a trial. Reminds me of the experiment in the old league cup when they drew a line 35 yards out and you could only be offside within that distance. Dropped quickly.

imagine a cup final, 1-1 with a couple of minutes to go in extra time, having used all their subs. Keeper gets a blue card for time wasting. Penalty shoot out with no keeper? Or blue carded during the shoot out

Edited by CambieBud

43 minutes ago, CambieBud said:

This will never go any further than a trial. Reminds me of the experiment in the old league cup when they drew a line 35 yards out and you could only be offside within that distance. Dropped quickly.

imagine a cup final, 1-1 with a couple of minutes to go in extra time, having used all their subs. Keeper gets a blue card for time wasting. Penalty shoot out with no keeper? Or blue carded during the shoot out

Surely no one is getting one of these blue cards for time wasting though? They should be for offences just short of a red card offence. 

To me it sounds like a recipe for disaster and difficult for referees to manage. You can be sure managers/coaches/supporters watches will be running faster than the referee's and reintroduction of the binned player will become another, unnecessary source of contention. Might be feasible at higher level with 3/4 officials but a nightmare for the lone referee at grass roots level.

3 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

And your point is ?  The fact that it's even got to the experimental stage should be a huge red flag (no pun intended).

It's something stakeholders have been asking for, it's been tested at grassroots level and seems to have worked well there, and now they're considering trying it out at a lower semi-professional level for anyone who wants to try it.

The story was released in a clickbaity way to get people all worked up and it has certainly succeeded in that.

It's a good step in the right direction. Tactical fouls are simply cheating in my book and I welcome any attempt to clamp down on them.

My idea was another card after yellow, but no sin bin. Every single foul, barring offsides or conceding a passback etc, is now an automatic yellow card minimum. Orange is just current yellow. Two oranges for a red, 4 yellows for a red, 1 orange and 2 yellows for a red. The way forward is to try remove as much subjectivity as possible.

Edited by Jives Miguel