Edinburgh City v Queens

Just now, 19QOS19 said:

I suppose I'd have been fizzing had I been caught up in the drama but from afar it's just laughable unfortunately. Definitely into the Banter Years now. 

Yes that's about the size of it for me too.

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:

I suppose I'd have been fizzing had I been caught up in the drama but from afar it's just laughable unfortunately. Definitely into the Banter Years now. 

At least I got to shout at Bartley as he left the pitch, highlight of my day.

5 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Yep for what seems like far too long now I've just treated events like today with a mixture of indifference and resignation. 

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

2 minutes ago, Terry_Tibbs said:

Did he look bothered?

He was getting a fair bit, head down and straight down towards the changing rooms, only reaction from a player was Ambrose.

Just now, Bay Citizen said:

We’ve not had too much to celebrate over the last couple of months but that was a fantastic result for our young team.

Indeed. I'd imagine very few of our fan base will begrudge you that. We are shite so you were always in with a chance today.

1 minute ago, QoS99 said:

He was getting a fair bit, head down and straight down towards the changing rooms, only reaction from a player was Ambrose.

How did Ambrose react, with applause? Don't see him as an angry person.

5 minutes ago, Bay Citizen said:

We’ve not had too much to celebrate over the last couple of months but that was a fantastic result for our young team.

Aye well done guys ... but that result came as absolutely no surprise to anyone who has watched Queens this season.

8 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

How did Ambrose react, with applause? Don't see him as an angry person.

He was raging yeah, don’t think it was from a fan pretty sure he was annoyed at his teammates.

First half performance was woeful- no urgency, no creativity and never remotely looked like scoring.

Second half was marginally better after Mumbongo’s introduction and the goal was well worked.

The logical next move would surely have been to go all out for a second goal but after a succession of needless and unfathomable substitutions we seemed to retreat into a defensive shell. Our welcoming invitation to attack us was duly accepted and the inevitable sucker punch duly arrived with the last kick of the match from a very unlikely source!!

Annan within striking distance of us if they can beat us at Galabank which really shouldn’t be that difficult. There have been so many lows for us all to endure this season but we are now plumbing new depths. Credit to Edinburgh - a thoroughly deserved point. A relegation play off doesn’t bear thinking about but there is no confidence in our Manager from either players or supporters. Can only hope that our points advantage will keep us safe but I wouldn’t bank on it.

Well, that was an absolutely insipid performance in a game we had to win to have any chance of the play-offs. First half was dismal - we had plenty of possession in good areas, but our final ball was invariably terrible.  McKechnie had the beating of their right back for pace, but his delivery was awful, and Reilly also squandered good opportunities to cut the ball back into the box from wide positions. We barely created a chance worthy of the name in the first half, and Doherty was typically blunt, but as has been the case in the vast majority of games I’ve seen this season, we just lack any quality in the final third whatsoever. Brydon and McLelland did quite well at the back, but that was about the extent of the positives for the first period. Edinburgh City were predictably poor, and they’re one of the few teams I’ve seen that have a more diminutive set of forward players than ourselves, with 7, 9, and particularly 10 (whose shorts came down to his knees) all tiny, although their number 18 in midfield towered over everyone else on the park.

When Mumbongo finally came on for Doherty, he looked a handful straight away. Physical, strong, and puts himself about. He looked far better than the Hamilton fans had led us to believe, though that’s probably mainly down to our paucity of attacking options. He scored a good goal, threatened a couple of times, and put one header well past the post when in acres of space, that he should certainly have done better with. I’d be starting him every week from now on.

The ref added on about a minute of stoppage time in a first half littered with injuries, so it was a surprise that he added on six at the end of an admittedly niggly second half that had a similar amount of stoppages as the first. I thought we were going to see it out, and we might just about have deserved the win, without ever playing remotely well, but conceding a goal deep into stoppage time, scored by the opposition’s 19-year-old keeper is just so Queens that I’m surprised we don’t do it more often.

Anyway, a throughly dispiriting season finally peters out into inconsequence, and we can presumably look forward to more of the same next season.

IMG_5395.jpeg

Edited by Frankie S

3 minutes ago, Frankie S said:

Well, that was an absolutely insipid performance in a game we had to win to have any chance of the play-offs. First half was dismal - we had plenty of possession in good areas, but our final ball was invariably terrible.  McKechnie had the beating of their right back for pace, but his delivery was dismal, and Reilly also squandered good opportunities to cut the ball back into the box from wide positions. We barely created a chance worthy of the name in the first half, and Doherty was typically blunt, but as has been the case in the vast majority of games I’ve seen this season, we just lack any quality in the final third whatsoever. Brydon and McLelland did quite well at the back, but that was about the extent of the positives for the first period. Edinburgh City were predictably poor, and they’re one of the few teams I’ve seen that have a more diminutive set of forward players than ourselves, with 7, 9, and particularly 10 (whose shorts came down to his knees) all tiny, although their number 18 in midfield towered over everyone else on the park.

When Mumbongo finally came on for Doherty, he looked a handful straight away. Physical, strong, and puts himself about. He looked far better than the Hamilton fans had led us to believe, though that’s probably mainly down to our paucity of attacking options. He scored a good goal, threatened a couple of times, and put one header well past the post when in acres of space, that he should certainly have done better with. I’d be starting him every week from now on.

The ref added on about a minute of stoppage time in a first half littered with injuries, so it was a surprise that he added on six at the end of an admittedly niggly second half that had a similar amount of stoppages as the first. I thought we were going to see it out, and we might just about have deserved the win, without ever playing remotely well, but conceding a goal deep into stoppage time, scored by the opposition’s 19-year-old keeper is just so Queens that I’m surprised we don’t do it more often.

Anyway, a throughly dispiriting season finally peters out into inconsequenc, and we can presumably look forward to more of the same next season.

IMG_5395.jpeg

Spot on summary of the game in my opinion (apart from being harsh on Reilly who I thought done well despite living off scraps).

45 minutes ago, Frankie S said:

The ref added on about a minute of stoppage time in a first half littered with injuries, so it was a surprise that he added on six at the end of an admittedly niggly second half that had a similar amount of stoppages as the first.

Was told by someone else that 6 minutes was surprising. After I received the text my first thought was "Well that's what's getting the blame from Bartley tonight then". 

45 minutes ago, Frankie S said:

Anyway, a throughly dispiriting season finally peters out into inconsequence, and we can presumably look forward to more of the same next season.

I admire you're optimism. Annan are terrible but they at least have a bit of fight about them, something we completely lack. Looking at the upcoming fixtures for both sides I think it's not inconceivable to think we could only be 3 pts ahead of them after our game at Galabank. 

I really didn’t think 6 minutes was surprising, fwiw. There were at least 2 lengthy treatment stoppages, as well as substitutions, and a couple of occasions where the ref had fairly lengthy conversations with his assistant. I can easily see the justification for that amount of added time.