Proofs that there is no God.

41 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Look at all of the horrible, horrible things that are happening in the world, and have happened throughout history. Plenty of proof that there is no God.

Tbf he could just be a massive c**t that loves giving children cancer...

I'm quite a staunch atheist but I barely ever discuss religion and I often find people that bang on about being atheists and "sky fairies" are usually some of the biggest goobers on the Internet. Let people believe what they want as long as it doesn't directly impede others rights to believe what they want. 

As a non intellectual one of the most convincing takes I've seen on the subject was yon Richard Dawkins arguing about how giraffes prove evolution and show how if there was some grand design they've utterly shafted the giraffes. There's obviously angles to go at to try and rubbish this as being proof of evolution but I think considering how shite the level of discourse this topic usually inspires this is a rare change. 

51 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Look at all of the horrible, horrible things that are happening in the world, and have happened throughout history. Plenty of proof that there is no God.

On the flip side, the creation of the TV show Minder is proof that the big man exists.

There may well be a God, but one that's at best indifferent to suffering, without resorting to fairy tales written by mankind. Certainly not anything that's in any way worthy of worship.

As for folk like Elle MacPherson and Jenny McCarthy, they achieved wealth and power based entirely on the fact that people wanted to have sex with them, so I suppose it's a bit late to point out that, while they might look nice, their brains are broken.

I am also an atheist but don't really have a problem with religion apart from all the wars, bombings and unnecessary suffering that goes with it.

I try not to get into a discussion about it now as it really is pointless.

We have a lot of English Asian young lads and lasses at work here and a couple of years back I commented on something quite lazily thanking God for some f**k up on the planet. A few of the young lads got quite upset and started asking me who did I think created the universe and we all went off on one. I realised quickly that it wasn't something to trivialise with them and have avoided further chats on religion. 

The big question for them was what was there before the big bang, my question was where did God come from? Big questions for a tea break.

In short, if there is a God, he's a worse cùnt than Hitler, Stallin, Pol Pot and any other murdering b*****d as he is responsible for them.

For me, If you believe that God exists then he/she does. That’s why religion can be classed as a belief.

However don’t expect me to believe it as well and don’t attempt to force myself or anyone else to have to follow any rules that your beliefs have. 

1 hour ago, RuMoore said:

Tbf he could just be a massive c**t that loves giving children cancer...

I'm quite a staunch atheist but I barely ever discuss religion and I often find people that bang on about being atheists and "sky fairies" are usually some of the biggest goobers on the Internet. Let people believe what they want as long as it doesn't directly impede others rights to believe what they want. 

As a non intellectual one of the most convincing takes I've seen on the subject was yon Richard Dawkins arguing about how giraffes prove evolution and show how if there was some grand design they've utterly shafted the giraffes. There's obviously angles to go at to try and rubbish this as being proof of evolution but I think considering how shite the level of discourse this topic usually inspires this is a rare change. 

Quite 😎.

3 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

That's proof that there are people.

Our galaxy has 100 billion stars. If the universe was made for us, surely that's a spectacular level of overkill? I mean, a million stars would have been more than enough. A thousand times that, a billion stars, would have been demented. A hundred times that is for what? The Milky Way would have been plenty.

And that's just our galaxy. There are an estimated 200 billion to two trillion galaxies in the universe. That's a number we can't comprehend. Our galaxy is thought to be pretty average, so multiply that by 100 billion to get the number of stars in the universe.

If God made it, he was really heavily into redundancy.

Personally I don't understand how someone can learn the scale of the universe and think, "That was all made for the sole purpose of creating us".

And when did us become us? Presumably God wasn't too bothered about the individual life desires of whatever mousy thing was your ancestors 65 million years ago. Are the good swamp mush over a billion years ago that lead directly  to us in heaven? Are the God-fearing homo heidelbergensis? The nicer neanderthals? What was the first individual animal that God regards as a person and why not their maw and paw?

Each to their own though. If you want to believe that the planner of the destiny of every particle in a 46.5 billion light year radius doesn't want you to eat a bacon sandwich or get laid before promising to stay together until you die, fire away.

ETA Only the most hardcore evangelists are more irritating and arrogant than the Dawkins and Gervais stans.

Edited by GordonS