VAR  

233 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 minutes ago, KingswellsRed said:

Have never understood the argument that it is not VAR but the people operating it. Have also never understood the idea that VAR makes watching games on tv more entertaining. Shows how out of touch with the fans the pundits are.

Almost like designing a system with the objective of addressing human error but is reliant on human input on subjective matters, may not be a roaring success. 

Mind blowing, I know. 

7 minutes ago, KingswellsRed said:

Have never understood the argument that it is not VAR but the people operating it. Have also never understood the idea that VAR makes watching games on tv more entertaining. Shows how out of touch with the fans the pundits are.

They’re out of touch with genuine fans. Armchair Barclays fans around the world are fine with VAR as a concept and those are the only ones that authorities give a shit about.

Global fans aren’t as big an “issue” in Scotland of course, but we just copy what everyone else does.

VAR is the problem, but the people operating it can definitely exacerbate things.

I have been astounded by the lengths of the delays in some Aberdeen games this season, especially after goals and often after set pieces too. I am genuinely talking about delays lasting for well over two minutes when, looking back at the footage later, you realise they could have feasibly been cleared in about ten seconds. We had lengthy delays after each goal against Motherwell a few weeks back, and I was baffled when watching back the highlights about how obvious it was that there was nothing wrong, even after viewing just one replay. 

There was a delay for a penalty check at the game yesterday, must have taken close to a minute, and watching it back on Sportscene later I genuinely am still none the wiser about what or where they were checking. It certainly can't have been something that justified that length of stoppage. 

I have been to games with VAR in other leagues, admittedly where they have access to more angles and a more expensive system all round, but where the game has flowed relatively well in comparison. 

Whilst I was always a VAR-sceptic, I did hope after it was first introduced in Scotland that the lengths of checks and delays for fairly innocuous incidents would improve over time, but it seems to have persisted. 

Edited by DrewDon

1 hour ago, The Master said:

The nose belongs to the yellow shirt. 

I nose, that's what i mean.

The red shirt big belly player is still ahead of the skinny nose player. Not that the lines are exactly drawn on 100% accurate right enough.:lol:

One thing that I will agree with Rodgers on from his tantrum yesterday is about moments in the game being refereed off the pitch. 

I think Yang's red card is the right decision ultimately. Robertson maybe was slightly unsighted but the linesman is looking right at it. What has Roberston seen in the replay that wasn't seen in real time by himself and or the linesman? Likewise with the handball, Robertson is in a brilliant position to see it.

In the St Mirren v St Johnstone game last week, Kwon's goal gets chalked off after VAR intervened. We can argue whether or not it was a foul, but there was nothing in the replay that showed anything we didn't see in real time. Everyone in the ground saw that Kwon nudged the defender.

I think there's too many cases where you've just got one referee who disagrees with the onfield decision, rather than highlighting things the officials have missed.

One of the things that annoys me is that if there's something to check, the ref will pause the game and the VAR will take a minute or two checking it, and then send the ref over who may take another minute to review it. Why not just bring the ref to the screen right away? Or maybe not right away, but if it's obvious it's going to take a while.

In the Napoli v Juventus game last night Osimhen went down under a challenge in the box and play was waved on, a few seconds later the ball was out of play. At first glance, it was hard to tell what had happened so it was worth a second look. The ref went over to the screen right away and the decision to award a penalty was made very quickly.

No momentum was lost, players weren't getting cold and seizing up, fans weren't getting bored or impatient. Much better.

4 hours ago, houston_bud said:

In the St Mirren v St Johnstone game last week, Kwon's goal gets chalked off after VAR intervened. We can argue whether or not it was a foul, but there was nothing in the replay that showed anything we didn't see in real time. Everyone in the ground saw that Kwon nudged the defender.

Before VAR, the referee might have blown when the foul took place but they obviously let the game run on now and Kwon scoring then let's him essentially decide to let VAR make the decision for him.

The same happened in our game against Rangers when Considine clearly fouled Sterling (I think) but the referee just bottles making a decision and let VAR call him to the monitor so he could look at it several times.

There are instances of re-refereeing but as big a problem is officials being happy to not make decisions because they know they'll get a second look at it via VAR.

Just now, Radford said:

There are instances of re-refereeing but as big a problem is officials being happy to not make decisions because they know they'll get a second look at it via VAR.

I’m not sure that’s entirely right. 

Referees are still being assessed from the stand, so if they make an incorrect decision they’ll still be marked-down for it even if VAR allows them to change their mind. 

5 minutes ago, The Master said:

Referees are still being assessed from the stand, so if they make an incorrect decision they’ll still be marked-down for it even if VAR allows them to change their mind. 

It’s not something I have any stats for so I can’t say for certainty, but I think referees are shirking out of decisions more.

I’d like to see the number of penalties awarded on average pre-VAR, and then compare this with the number of penalties awarded on-field post-VAR. I may be wrong, but I’d hazard a guess at the number awarded post-VAR on-field would be lower.

8 minutes ago, The Master said:

Just now, AJF said:

It’s not something I have any stats for so I can’t say for certainty, but I think referees are shirking out of decisions more.

I’d like to see the number of penalties awarded on average pre-VAR, and then compare this with the number of penalties awarded on-field post-VAR. I may be wrong, but I’d hazard a guess at the number awarded post-VAR on-field would be lower.

Aren't they told to let the play run? it's not that they are shirking out of it, it's more they can let the game flow and then checks go on when needed. They won't be marked down for it either as this is how it is to be used. 

11 minutes ago, The Master said:

Does being marked down have any discernible impact though? Especially if it lets VAR make a *correct* decision?

I guess the measure would be what @AJF suggests and looking into big on-field decisions before and after the introduction of VAR and whether less are being made.

Edited by Radford

18 minutes ago, Radford said:

Before VAR, the referee might have blown when the foul took place but they obviously let the game run on now and Kwon scoring then let's him essentially decide to let VAR make the decision for him.

The same happened in our game against Rangers when Considine clearly fouled Sterling (I think) but the referee just bottles making a decision and let VAR call him to the monitor so he could look at it several times.

I think that's a fair point, although we had a similar one chalked off against Hearts. The ref (Nick Walsh maybe?) let the play continue and as soon as Mandron had the ball in the bet he blew for a foul, which was then checked by VAR, who stuck with the decision.

7 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Aren't they told to let the play run? it's not that they are shirking out of it, it's more they can let the game flow and then checks go on when needed. They won't be marked down for it either as this is how it is to be used. 

I think for penalties, the only way they’d let play run is if the ball still manages to find its way into the net.

If the team doesn’t score and the referee believes it’s a foul it should be awarded as an on-field penalty rather than wait or hope that VAR will pick it up.

14 hours ago, eez-eh said:

If only we’d known before implementing VAR that it’d be a bunch of useless twats running it.

It's a bunch of self interested twats paying for it. It was always going to play out this way. I'm amazed anyone is surprised it's unfolding as it is.