The Newcastle 4

10 hours ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

I'm pretty sure the real story involved some sweeties. 

Was it not that Andy Robertson stole his lolly from his dip dab and Lyndon Dykes replaced all his fruit pastilles with the black wine gums or something like that?

He was definitely ribbed for his Le Coq Sportif sliders, I'm pretty sure that was confirmed by Joel Sked on twitter 

I heard it rumoured that he had to ask the hotel reception for a larger bin to leave his giant sliders in.

21 hours ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

Where we are currently in that we keep qualifying for the Euro's and got close to WC qualifying we dont have the time to put unready players in the squad in the hope of rebuilding. So gambling on players who weren't or aren't ready and writing of a qualifying campaign isn't an option right now. 

My reading of the media last week is that Steve Clarke is using the upcoming Nations League, at least in-part, as preparation for our World Cup qualification campaign. Perhaps a stretch to say the Nations League campaign will be written off, but I think it will be used in the manner you outlined above: to refresh and rebuild the team.

I think I touched on it before the Championships in the summer that maybe we’d freshen a little bit going into this campaign, just have a look at one or two different players, try and give ourselves a deeper pool of talent and that’s the way it is.

https://youtu.be/o8xL2z03Ji0?si=70AMr4ahJSKGCNam

I touched on it before that after one campaign’s over, so the Euro-2024 campaign is over, we’re now building towards the campaign to qualify for 2026. These Nations League games is a good opportunity to look at a number of players and that’s what we aim to do.

https://youtu.be/ue9zMGP639w?si=Y1OWKyOFd75wMCEp

I think it's just important that we get ourselves moving again, trying to move forward, trying to be better, trying to improve and that, whatever happens in the Nations League campaign, we come out of that ready for the World Cup qualifying campaign in 2025.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/ive-earned-the-right-steve-clarke-reveals-when-scotland-tenure-likely-to-end-as-he-addresses-euros-fallout-4758616

38 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

My reading of the media last week is that Steve Clarke is using the upcoming Nations League, at least in-part, as preparation for our World Cup qualification campaign. Perhaps a stretch to say the Nations League campaign will be written off, but I think it will be used in the manner you outlined above: to refresh and rebuild the team.

https://youtu.be/o8xL2z03Ji0?si=70AMr4ahJSKGCNam

https://youtu.be/ue9zMGP639w?si=Y1OWKyOFd75wMCEp

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/ive-earned-the-right-steve-clarke-reveals-when-scotland-tenure-likely-to-end-as-he-addresses-euros-fallout-4758616

Getting your excuses in early mate, good idea 🤣

It's a pretty terrible excuse but just run with it. It's easier than admitting you were wrong eh.

5 hours ago, 2426255 said:

But as per usual with Clarke he has only gone part of the way with it. If he is serious about it then Hanley, McLean and Forrest wouldn't be in the squad with the likes of Bowat, Barron and Miller being in the squad instead. Wales have just called up a boy that has yet to play for Leeds today. We won't call up regulars for 2 clubs in this country. 

The 3 I have named (and others) are our future and we should be picking them just now to get them integrated into the squad and how Clarke wants us to play. I am not advocating a Bertie Vogts style bonanza but we do need to get rid of some of the deadwood. 

1 minute ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

But as per usual with Clarke he has only gone part of the way with it. If he is serious about it then Hanley, McLean and Forrest wouldn't be in the squad with the likes of Bowat, Barron and Miller being in the squad instead. Wales have just called up a boy that has yet to play for Leeds today. We won't call up regulars for 2 clubs in this country. 

The 3 I have named (and others) are our future and we should be picking them just now to get them integrated into the squad and how Clarke wants us to play. I am not advocating a Bertie Vogts style bonanza but we do need to get rid of some of the deadwood. 

Barron, cmon now relax a little.

16 minutes ago, bobbydazzler said:

Barron, cmon now relax a little.

Is he not a regular for his club? There is also an argument for Lyall Cameron. My point is that we are still calling up players that are going to be in there mid 30s by the time the next tournament rolls around and as the poster I quoted stated that Clarke was refreshing the squad when in reality he is tinkering round the edges and pandering to fans with the Gauld call up (Gauld should have been called up at least 2 seasons ago)

Edited by Arthurlie1981

19 hours ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

As per usual with Clarke he has only gone part of the way with it. If he is serious about it then Hanley, McLean and Forrest wouldn't be in the squad with the likes of Bowat, Barron and Miller being in the squad instead. The 3 I have named (and others) are our future and we should be picking them just now to get them integrated into the squad and how Clarke wants us to play. I am not advocating a Bertie Vogts style bonanza but we do need to get rid of some of the deadwood. 

It depends for me on the reasons for keeping those 3 players around. Young players have an almost unlimited potential in the eyes of supporters because they haven't found their level. The question is where the reality will be? what level will they go on to reach? Similar questions exist around Doak and Johnston who have been included the squad.

Nonetheless, It's clear that the squad moving forward toward the 2026 World Cup will be noticeably different to the past. I think that is clear currently from the both the media, squad and replacements. The Nations League will be used as the 'time' to use 'unready players' in preparation for World Cup qualifying. 

20 hours ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

Relax. You can’t bin the entire team and replace them all with young lads with zero experience. Before today’s changes we had Johnston, Doak, Conway, Morgan, and Gauld. All either young or inexperienced at this level, or both.

We’ve now got Barron, Doig, and a new keeper.

Cooper, Jack, and Armstrong already not included. It’s going to be a transitional period; but this is not the end of the Strachan era, c. 2016-2017.

Edited by HuttonDressedAsLahm

21 hours ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

Relax. You can’t bin the entire team and replace them all with young lads with zero experience.

You also wouldn't want to on the basis that these are the most successful Scotland players of the last 20+ years. Fair enough turn over some of the guys on the fringes, but wholesale changes would seem mad to me. Look at the teams we played at the Euros, loads of their players, especially Switzerland, had 50+ caps. You don't get that by chucking out players as soon as they hit 27 years old.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

You also wouldn't want to on the basis that these are the most successful Scotland players of the last 20+ years. Fair enough turn over some of the guys on the fringes, but wholesale changes would seem mad to me. Look at the teams we played at the Euros, loads of their players, especially Switzerland, had 50+ caps. You don't get that by chucking out players as soon as they hit 27 years old.

There's been an incredible over-reaction both on here and generally to the Euros. You're absolutely spot on. We've reached two of the last three major tournaments and lost a playoff for the other. Prior to that it was 22 years since we made one (had a couple of playoffs lost). Both of the finals visits were ultimately disappointing of course although I maintain losing 4 or 5 major players to injury before and during the last one was a significant factor in this.

When we topped the qualifying group for most of it ahead of the ultimate winners, and indeed looked like we'd taken the lead in Spain, nobody was talking about how much this squad needed a major reset. It doesn't.

There are some players on the fringes needing phased out. Ironically Callum McGregor wasn't one of them but chose to go himself. Gordon's gone. The likes of Cooper and probably Jack have too. Armstrong has for now though now he's got a club I wouldn't be surprised to see him back next time. Although like Gauld, being in Canada won't help his chances.

A lot was made of us having the 2nd oldest squad in Germany but it's not old. The oldest child in school is still a child! And a lot of our oldest players aren't actually starters. People like Cooper, Jack and Forrest were contributory to that, none of whom are in the current squad (I know Forrest was originally picked).

We don't need a major overhaul. We need a bit of phasing out older fringe players and bit of phasing in younger ones. Once he's fit maybe getting Lewis Ferguson in particular into the starting eleven. It doesn't need too much surgery. It would be nice to have a magic wand and find a goalscoring international level forward and a couple of younger dominant centre backs. Ideally even a new goalkeeper though Gunn will be fine for now. They don't exist currently though and forcing Tommy Conway and others into those roles before they are properly ready like McBurnie, Nisbet and Brown before them will just lead to disappointment and frustration.

On 03/09/2024 at 12:42, 2426255 said:

It depends for me on the reasons for keeping those 3 players around. Young players have an almost unlimited potential in the eyes of supporters because they haven't found their level. The question is where the reality will be? what level will they go on to reach? Similar questions exist around Doak and Johnston who have been included the squad.

Nonetheless, It's clear that the squad moving forward toward the 2026 World Cup will be noticeably different to the past. I think that is clear currently from the both the media, squad and replacements. The Nations League will be used as the 'time' to use 'unready players' in preparation for World Cup qualifying. 

Can't disagree with much in here.

On 03/09/2024 at 13:09, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

Relax. You can’t bin the entire team and replace them all with young lads with zero experience. Before today’s changes we had Johnston, Doak, Conway, Morgan, and Gauld. All either young or inexperienced at this level, or both.

We’ve now got Barron, Doig, and a new keeper.

Cooper, Jack, and Armstrong already not included. It’s going to be a transitional period; but this is not the end of the Strachan era, c. 2016-2017.

First off, that is not what I am suggesting and my point was in relation to Wales capping players for the future and numbers was of the view we are kind of doing that just now and I dont agree. If you are doing the whole complete rebuild you are unlikely to call up the players mentioned who are unlikely to be around much longer.

ETA: As was mentioned by other posters there is no need to a complete rebuild but I still dont see the point in calling up 3 players, 2 of whom will be 34 and the other 35 by the time of the next tournament. Given that 2 of the 3 are squad players as well I just feel it would be better to move on from them

Edited by Arthurlie1981

On 02/09/2024 at 15:02, A Diamond For Me said:

I heard they told him it was a tradition that the newest callup to the squad has to buy some tartan paint to decorate the team bus, and they all laughed at him when he came back saying they didn't have any at B&Q.

I heard he was sent to Ibrox for a long stand.

3 minutes ago, Chripper said:

The same goes with Livramento. He isn't jumping in front of Trent and Rico Lewis.

He might get in the England team at left back though. Luke Shaw and Ben Chilwell are both permanent sick notes.